Cooking in a hot tent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooking in a hot tent?

So I recently purchased a hot tent and stove, and during my research into people using these, I noticed a lot of people cooking directly inside the tent on the wood stove. Is this a common thing? It would seem to me like it could be problematic, but as I researched it became obvious it is a common occurrence. Does anyone here happen to have experience or insight into this?
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    And lungs are poisoned and shoulders bowed,
    In the smothering reek of mill and mine;
    And death stalks in on the struggling crowd?
    But he shuns the shadow of the oak and pine?
    ― George W. Sears Nessmuk, Woodcraft and Camping

try a search on canoetripping.net for Robin or on bushcraftusa for beavertail (same guy).
    He does a fair amount of hot tenting.
    ...better to be up a creek without a paddle than to not be on the water at all!

Comment

I went out last winter with a hot tent and stove. We cooked everything on top of the stove. It work great.

Comment

Cooking inside the tent directly on the stove is a common occurrence. I do it all the time and have for years.
        My YouTube channel

Comment

Originally posted by Jwojcik1990 View Post
          It would seem to me like it could be problematic,
          If you keep your tent clean and stay out of habituated wildlife spots you should not have a problem (provided your tent was designed for such use and you know how to vent moisture and food scents out).
          Feverishly avoiding "a steady stream of humanity, with a view that offers little more than butts, boots, elbows and backsides". (description quote from Joe Hackett)

Comment

A friend of mine set up a wall tent off the Calkins brook road awhile back for deer hunting, They did all there cooking in it on the wood stove, They went out hunting one morning an came back an found there camp an tent destroyed. A mother an cubs did a number on it.

When we set ours up we put a tarp over the tent an make a porch an set up a table an cook out there.

Comment

I suppose the only issue is with critters and bears in warmer weather, winter hot tent cooking is the way to go.

Comment

Thank you for all the helpful replies guys! Can't wait to actually test it out in the field soon with the colder weather starting to creep in.

Comment

Thank you for all the helpful replies guys! Can't wait to actually test it out in the field soon with the colder weather starting to creep in.
                  What did you end up getting? I have a SeekOutside Redcliff and love that thing.

Comment

I do..it helps if your pan fits inside to speed cook. Otherwise you need a bigger fire (more time on wood collection or use biobricks) and it can get too hot inside the tent. Cook much smaller portion sizes too so it cooks easier and you eat smaller size while still hot. I also bring a propane green bottle for lantern and stove top..very convient to use when you would rather spend time to hike, fish, hunt..
                    Last edited by GreenFrog; 10-16-2021, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
                      What did you end up getting? I have a SeekOutside Redcliff and love that thing.
                      I went with the Luxe Megahorn and 3W stove combo, they were having a sale at the time and I did not want to pass it up!

Comment

I went with the Luxe Megahorn and 3W stove combo, they were having a sale at the time and I did not want to pass it up!
                        Those stoves look pretty nice. I have the SO XL, and it's gotten pretty warped over the years. Still works fine, but it's getting ugly. I'd be curious to know how that 3W does. I like the glass, but it seemed like it would be heavy and maybe fragile.

I don't cook on the woodstove, for what it's worth. It doesn't seem very efficient to me, and I'm a little paranoid about food smells getting into the tent. The most I've done is heat up some water on it, and even that takes time compared to a regular camp stove.

Comment

What we did for hot water was take a big canning kettle, put a half inch valve in it an filled the kettle with water an an keep it on the stove, We kept ours going most of the time,

Comment

It's quite common in the camping community to cook inside a hot tent using a wood stove. It can provide warmth while preparing food. However, safety is a big concern due to potential fire hazards and carbon monoxide buildup. Proper ventilation and caution are crucial to mitigate risks.
                            Last edited by Wiwagner; 11-21-2023, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X