Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you know where this was painted?

Hello everyone,

This is a rather unusual request, but this seems to be the most likely group to know the answer…I hope this is the right section of the forum to post this. If not, let me know.

I have a 19th century painting by a Hudson River artist. It was painted in the 1860s in either the Adirondacks or the Catskills. The title is “Autumn in the Adirondacks”, but I think it was titled by someone other than the artists, so I don’t want to rule out the Catskills.

Does anyone know the location of this painting? I’ve seen another painting he did from this same spot, so I don’t think it’s an imaginary landscape. The rocks formations appear to be pretty recognizable so I hope this is an easy answer. I’d love to hike to it today and see how it looks 160 years later.

Thank in advance for your help!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by HudsonRiverFan; 09-09-2021, 08:21 PM.

Quick Guess: view of Lake Mohonk from Skytop.

Comment

Thanks TCD - I think you are absolutely right looking at photos of Lake Mohonk rock formations. My, how that lake has changed! I guess I won't need to "hike in"...

Comment

I immediately thought Shawangunks. I think TCD is right.

Comment

Yeah, I'll ditto the supposition that TCD is correct. My first thought was "that looks much more like downstate NY than most of the ADKs or Catskills."

Comment

Working...
          X