Santa Clara Flow bike rafting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santa Clara Flow bike rafting?

Does anyone know if I can ride my bike back to the parking area at the top of Santa Clara Flow after paddling to the end of the flow? Looks like there is an old railroad bed there? I have a gravel bike that will be strapped to the deck of my boat. Thanks!

I can't help you, but I would really like to see a photo of your bike strapped to your boat. Great idea if you can pull it off!

Comment

I’ll be paddling my Alpacka Expedition, not the Hornbeck. It is set up specifically to strap a bike onto the deck. Then when I reach the bottom of the flow I put my wheels back on, deflate the raft, strap it to my bike and pedal back to the car. Fun!

Comment

Can you be more specific about where you plan to launch?

Ie which access point are you using
        "In short, a land ethic changes the role of Homo Sapiens from conqueror of the land-community to plain member and citizen of it. It implies respect for his fellow-members, and also respect for the community as such."

Aldo Leopold

Comment

I would be coming in from the boat launch at the top of Santa Clara Flow and paddling all the way to where the old railroad bed or road crosses, or used to cross the river. I hope to ride back to the boat launch on my bike on the rr bed, or road that parallels the flow.

Comment

As you head south (upstream)…

The first bridge you encounter will be a private road on (unless I’m mistaken) private land, so that option is out. Another mile upstream however is a legal launch, off of Four Mile Road. Four mile road connects to blue mtn road, so you could easily get back to your starting point by taking blue mtn to dexter. There is however at least one canoe carry you’d have to deal with, and it may be difficult to find the canoe launch. Honestly if you’re dead set on that particular paddle, I’d do it the other direction- start at four mile road, and finish at the launch by 458.
            "In short, a land ethic changes the role of Homo Sapiens from conqueror of the land-community to plain member and citizen of it. It implies respect for his fellow-members, and also respect for the community as such."

Aldo Leopold

Comment

We’ve done a few other bike/paddle combos in that same neck of the woods as well.

East branch of the st Regis from 458 to Everton falls, with a longer bike back to your car. Osgood river to Meachem with a ride down rt 30 back to your car. Middle branch of the st Regis with a return bike down keese mills/blue mtn road.

I’d strongly recommend picking up a copy of the ADK paddlers guide by Cilly. With your setup, there are dozens of cool combo trips you could do.

Aldo Leopold

Comment

Thanks for the info! I would like to do this trip. I have long been a paddler, but the bike rafting thing is adding a whole new dimension. I appreciate the other suggestions!
                I have the guide.
                Last edited by Sinite; 08-22-2021, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X