No announcement yet.

Rattlesnakes in the cliffs......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did a hike the other day to Black Mtn. On my drive out on Shelving Rock Rd, I saw a Timber Rattler crossing the road. I had to pull to the side of the road to avoid hitting it. It wasn't happy my car came within a few feet of it and it coiled into a ball. I should have taken a picture of it.

Here is a picture of the TR I encountered last year on the trail from Black Mtn parking lot to Lapland Pond. I was in the strike zone with this encounter which was not a pleasant place to be. It was in an open area near the small log bridge (3 logs) about 1/4-1/3 mile from Lapland Pond.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by wiiawiwb; 08-06-2021, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Comment

I accidentally ran over one on the river rd in Lake Luzerne a few years ago. It was lying in the road on a blind corner. It was curled up, but it had to be about 3 feet long, looked like vacuum cleaner hose!
        Hunt when you can, Fish when you can't.

Comment

Originally posted by wiiawiwb View Post
          I did a hike the other day to Black Mtn. On my drive out on Shelving Rock Rd, I saw a Timber Rattler crossing the road.
          Curious where you saw it. I bush-whacked up Buck Mt. this weekend and was keeping my eyes open for them. Didn't see any. My buddy saw one at his hunting camp on Hogtown Road. Got some good pictures.
          Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Buckladd -- The other day, I hiked Black Mtn then drove over and hiked into Inman Pond. It was on my drive out of Black Mtn that I saw the rattlesnake on Pike Brook Road, not Shelving Rock Road. Sorry for that confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by wiiawiwb View Post
              not Shelving Rock Road. Sorry for that confusion.
              Thanks for clarifying. I live in the Hogtown area and help care for a private residence up there. We've been seeing some big water snakes on the lake, but no rattlers. Every year a few get killed on either Hogtown or Shelving Rock Road, and as I said earlier, a local camp spotted one in their yard. I would never harm them, but we do try to look out for them. I was really cautious on my recent bushwhack up Buck Mt.
              Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

So how is the nut crop looking on the East side of the range....I am on the
                West side....looking good here.....

Comment

Originally posted by dpc34 View Post
                  So how is the nut crop looking on the East side of the range....I am on the
                  West side....looking good here.....
                  Spotty up high.
                  Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

I dont think theres any Rattlers in the northern zone, right? Grew up in St. Larence county and always went fishing in the area around Paul Smith's; never have I seen one or heard of anyone claiming to have seen one anywhere up in that area.
                    "Be patient and calm - for no one can catch fish in anger."
                    ~Herbert Hoover

Comment

No, I don't believe so

Comment

Originally posted by Northcountryman View Post
                        I dont think theres any Rattlers in the northern zone, right? Grew up in St. Larence county and always went fishing in the area around Paul Smith's; never have I seen one or heard of anyone claiming to have seen one anywhere up in that area.
                        Well, maybe not that far north, but in parts of the Northern Zone around Lake George and Champlain for sure. And there's an old story of a guy getting bit up on the Ausable, in the 1970s. I believe. I think someone may have said, perhaps on this forum, that the Ausable snake may have been a hitchhiker.
                        Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

If you encounter a rattlesnake in your travels, please don't kill it. Give it space and it will leave. It will only strike if you threaten it, just like you. They are much more prevalent in PA.
                          Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

Working...
                          X