Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2021, 07:07 PM   #1
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

Elderberries in the Adirondacks?

I have been noticing where there are elderberries blooming in the last couple of weeks here, mostly in wet areas and on stream banks. They appear, grow for a few to ten years and then die out, so every year I look for new plants. I like to freeze a few quarts each summer to make into pie later on. I'm wondering if elderberries grow wild in the Adirondacks at all, and more specifically in the northern areas. I'll be moving up that way next year if all goes according to plan and will be looking around hoping to find them. I never noticed any during my August trips, but I am guessing that they might still be green up there then, since they get ripe here in late August and early September. I'm not expecting anyone to divulge their secret locations, but a general idea of whether elderberries are to be found at all would be great.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 07:40 PM   #2
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Zach,
I am sure you know the difference but before some of you lurkers go looking for Elderberry bonanza make sure you know how to identify them.
Touching the roots or bark of the plant has also been reported to cause skin reactions in some individuals.

/the-potentially-toxic-elderberry-look-alike
https://www.northeastsuperfoods.com/...rry-look-alike
Old 07-09-2021, 07:47 PM   #3
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I never saw or heard of that plant before, and I've never found an elderberry with thorns either, so I must have been lucky. I don't like elderberries fresh anyway, only cooked, so it sounds like it would be safer that way. Thanks for the warning.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 07:59 PM   #4
montcalm
Mobster

I've never seen them, but I've never been looking for them specifically.

I recall having them at a house I grew up at that was up around 2000' elevation, so in theory they could probably handle most of the west Adirondacks.

I tend to notice a lot of difference in riparian zones and lowlands between "lower" NY and the Adirondacks. Probably a lot reasons why, but for instance there aren't many "swamp" trees like Silver Maple, Cottonwood, Black Walnut, etc in the Adirondacks (at least I don't see them). That stuff seems to be replaced by softwoods.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 08:09 PM   #5
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
I never saw or heard of that plant before, and I've never found an elderberry with thorns either, so I must have been lucky. I don't like elderberries fresh anyway, only cooked, so it sounds like it would be safer that way. Thanks for the warning.
Raw elderberries, as well as other parts of the elder tree, are poisonous. Never eat or drink any product made from raw elderberry fruit, flowers, or leaves. They contain a chemical that produces cyanide.

Some people swear that consuming organic elderberry supplements will hasten the recovery of the flu. For a while it was touted as a possible remedy for Covid 19. I have seen it in swampy areas in abundance.
Old 07-09-2021, 08:36 PM   #6
St.Regis

There's a bumper crop of them this year. I'd appreciate the birds leaving me enough to make a couple gallons of wine
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 05:08 AM   #7
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Anyone else hearing that monty python scene after reading this thread?

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 07:56 AM   #8
Tick Magnet

bE5BG.jpg
Old 07-10-2021, 06:21 PM   #9
montcalm
Mobster

Old 07-10-2021, 06:55 PM   #10
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Is that Chris Rock? He is so funny! What a nut!
Old 07-10-2021, 07:03 PM   #11
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post
Is that Chris Rock? He is so funny! What a nut!
Chris Tucker and Ice Cube. From a movie named "Friday". It's hilarious, but pretty raunchy. Not quite as dry as Monty Python
Old 07-10-2021, 07:30 PM   #12
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Chris Tucker and Ice Cube. From a movie named "Friday". It's hilarious, but pretty raunchy. Not quite as dry as Monty Python
I meant to say Chris Tucker. Thanks.
Old 07-15-2021, 10:50 PM   #13
rickhart

I seem to remember seeing lots of them along the banks of the Oswegatchie (the branch between the Deer Pond carry & Inlet).
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote