Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > ADK Forum Classifieds
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
ADKian

Osprey Atmos 50

I decided to go ultra light for the summer time so I am selling this to fund a new pack. It's in excellent condition.I got it used a month ago, seller used it on one overnight and I only used it on a winter day trip into avalanche lake. It's a large, red, has mesh backpanel etc.. I can email pics on request. Asking $90 shipped.
ADKian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
ADKian

This is sold
Old 03-15-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

i have the same pack and use it for winter...quite the turn of ideas for you to go this far the other way, your 55# pack when we hiked... id like to hear your ultralight plans... my osprey aether 85 loaded for 4-5 days solo with tent, only weighs in at 35#....

PS .. who ever bought it sure is getting a nice pack, i have three ospreys..
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
viewseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewseeker View Post
i have the same pack and use it for winter...quite the turn of ideas for you to go this far the other way, your 55# pack when we hiked... id like to hear your ultralight plans... my osprey aether 85 loaded for 4-5 days solo with tent, only weighs in at 35#....

PS .. who ever bought it sure is getting a nice pack, i have three ospreys..
Yep I've got three too ad would have grabbed that one but it was posted and sold when I saw the ad.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
ADKian

Hold that though Hawk, haven't received the funds yet so if it falls through I will let you know. I have the kestral 68 I use for winter and it's still a little heavy for my liking but I am still doing trail and error with my winter equipment so hopefully next season I will get it down. Still no where near the weight of when I first started backpacking. For summer I am thinking of going with a ULA or even the Exos because I really like the way the Atmos carried and they have the same suspension. So we'll see. But you would be proud if you saw how far I have come since our trip on the NPT!
Old 03-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
Alpine1

I also own the 50 and used it for two years in the high peaks for day hikes. Except for winter outings it was to big. I bought the Osprey Stratos 36 and really like it's size for summer use but miss the style of compartments that the 50 offered. Still rate it A+ though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKian View Post
Hold that though Hawk, haven't received the funds yet so if it falls through I will let you know. I have the kestral 68 I use for winter and it's still a little heavy for my liking but I am still doing trail and error with my winter equipment so hopefully next season I will get it down. Still no where near the weight of when I first started backpacking. For summer I am thinking of going with a ULA or even the Exos because I really like the way the Atmos carried and they have the same suspension. So we'll see. But you would be proud if you saw how far I have come since our trip on the NPT!
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:48 PM   #7
ADKian

Yea, it's not that it isn't a great pack because it is. I am just going ultra light. If I go even with the Exos it's a full pound lighter, if I go with a ULA depending which one it could be even lighter so that's the only reason for the sale. If only everyone could have seen me two years ago with my 50# coleman pack filled to the brim with crap that I wouldn't use if I hiked across the states 20 times. Every outing is a new learning experience and I expect to be learning until I can't physically do it anymore.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:06 AM   #8
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Bummer

I'm sorry I missed it too - been looking for one of these.
“Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #9
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

oh i remember those days Ian... that colman tent was huge, heavy, and the books to read.... hopefully we can set some wekends and NPT it to placid.. i really am gonna do more, i hope barring work stays tame....
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
Old 03-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #10
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

One observation I have made, and perhaps the reason I love the Ospreys - Because of their engineering, they distribute the load much better are more comfortable then packs weighing less. So in the long haul I can hike farther with less fatigue then with a pack that is lighter.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #11
Dick
somewhere out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
One observation I have made, and perhaps the reason I love the Ospreys - Because of their engineering, they distribute the load much better are more comfortable then packs weighing less. So in the long haul I can hike farther with less fatigue then with a pack that is lighter.
I know of at least nine people who agree with you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg osprey.jpg (57.5 KB, 105 views)
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #12
DuctTape
Out of Shape

The genius of the Osprey design is that it is really an external frame pack which looks and feels like an internal. Thus it has the form fitting comfort of an internal with the load bearing and ventilation characteristics of the external. The best of both worlds. Pure genius!

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:05 PM   #13
ADKian

Quote:
oh i remember those days Ian... that colman tent was huge, heavy, and the books to read.... hopefully we can set some wekends and NPT it to placid.. i really am gonna do more, i hope barring work stays tame....
I'm up for it whenever you get the time. Thankfully I have traded the tent out for a hammock and don't read on the trail unless the hike in is short, and even then it's a light paperback. It's all a learning experience, thankfully I learned A LOT on that one trip. Russ has been a great mentor along the way too.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #14
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKian View Post
I'm up for it whenever you get the time. Thankfully I have traded the tent out for a hammock and don't read on the trail unless the hike in is short, and even then it's a light paperback. It's all a learning experience, thankfully I learned A LOT on that one trip. Russ has been a great mentor along the way too.
RUSS and Ian, lets plan something then.... FLT???
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
Old 03-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #15
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Did you see this?

http://newyorkoutdoors.wordpress.com...tdoors+Blog%29
“Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #16
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:
The FLT or somewhere in the adks. There are a few "distance loops" I have mapped out, I'd like to do.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:25 AM   #17
ADKian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
The FLT or somewhere in the adks. There are a few "distance loops" I have mapped out, I'd like to do.
I'm up for wherever. FLT or Adirondacks. Though the loops you were telling me about last weekend sound interesting. I would like to give one of them a shot.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:19 AM   #18
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWarlock View Post
I did, looks interesting but for sure a commitment to dates...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
Either or...I just need to finish the Damn NPT!! lol
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
Old 03-23-2012, 07:18 PM   #19
ADKian

Tell me about it!! Finally my NPT curse was lifted this past fall!!
Old 03-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #20
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Think we got just a wee bit off topic here? LOL