Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
dmband_420
MJL

Question Secluded

Was wondering if anyone knew of a list with the most secluded hikes, camping, etc...in the Adirondacks?
dmband_420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:35 PM   #2
yellowcanoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmband_420 View Post
Was wondering if anyone knew of a list with the most secluded hikes, camping, etc...in the Adirondacks?
It's right next to the list of secret fishing holes.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:27 AM   #3
WillisB

Do you know the secret handshake?
Old 12-30-2011, 05:20 AM   #4
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

We had a thread a few months ago about the most remote areas of the Adirondacks- The general consensus was that as far as backpacking, the Five Ponds Wilderness and the Cold River area of the Western High Peaks were the two places in the Adirondacks that you could get the furthest from a road.

Both of these places are remote, but that doesn't mean that they are devoid of people. The Northville-Placid Trail crosses through the Cold River region, and that gets a fairly steady amount of use. The Five Ponds has the new Cranberry Lake 50 trail, which has drawn more hikers to the region in the past few years than before.

If you really want to avoid other people in the backcountry, you've got two options- bushwhacking or going in the middle of the week. Both are pretty effective at providing seclusion in the woods.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:41 AM   #5
Grey-Jay

I have my own list. I used the Discover book series to find the locations. Consider getting these nice guide books.
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:15 AM   #6
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkayaker View Post
I have my own list. I used the Discover book series to find the locations. Consider getting these nice guide books.
They are available at regional book stores, or directly from the publisher, Wild River Press.
Pick a region you think has potential for what you want, read the trail descriptions and a bit of history on the area included in the book. Focus on a small area of the topo map, study the map in detail, get to an interesting trail to follow, and if you are comfortable just head off trail into the bush to a destination. Doesn't have to be very far. Seclusion abounds.

But don't do it without appropriate map and compass navigation skills (regardless of gps or not), and a trip plan itinerary left with someone at home.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:59 AM   #7
WillisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
They are available at regional book stores, or directly from the publisher, Wild River Press.
Pick a region you think has potential for what you want, read the trail descriptions and a bit of history on the area included in the book. Focus on a small area of the topo map, study the map in detail, get to an interesting trail to follow, and if you are comfortable just head off trail into the bush to a destination. Doesn't have to be very far. Seclusion abounds.

But don't do it without appropriate map and compass navigation skills (regardless of gps or not), and a trip plan itinerary left with someone at home.
Thanks for the link. I am ordering the central region today.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:00 PM   #8
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

I know a place that's so remote and secluded that everyone goes there.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:32 PM   #9
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
yeah but then:
"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded." - Yogi Berra

(other "yogisms" here)
Old 12-30-2011, 01:15 PM   #10
TCD

All good info., and as stated, be safe.

What's cool is that the Adirondacks are really so vast, the "trail coverage" is so thin, and there are so few vistors (compared with popular places like, say, Yosemite), that you will never run out of places to go for solitude. I have been bushwhacking for about 25 years, mostly confined to the eastern part of the adirondacks, mostly within a mile or two of the road, and mostly only to certain types of features (I like to look for cliffs). Even with all those qualifiers, I am nowhere near running out of new places to go. And I never see a soul in any of these places; everyone is on the trails.

And there are very few truly "unique" spots. After a few years, you will find multiples of most of them. So even if other people "discover" a spot, there's always another one.

Enjoy!
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #11
craig D

Discover book series is great. you will find what you are looking for
craig D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:02 AM   #12
ADKeagle

Based on your screen-name I'm assuming you're not seeking solitude for the same reasons as most people on this forum. If you have ZERO experience I would suggest not going too far from civilization.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:00 PM   #13
richard1726

Maybe plot an area at least 5 or 6 miles from the Northway. The sound from the trucks carries a long ways at night with cloud cover.
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #14
dmband_420
MJL

My birthday is 420 and I am looking for more secluded places because as some of the posts have proven...people can be annoying.
dmband_420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #15
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
My birthday is 420 and I am looking for more secluded places because as some of the posts have proven...people can be annoying.
I don't think anyone meant to be obnoxious- just a little bit of fun, which is quite common in many of the threads here. A commonality among many hikers is that we don't always take everything too seriously.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #16
Dick
somewhere out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
I don't think anyone meant to be obnoxious- just a little bit of fun, which is quite common in many of the threads here. A commonality among many hikers is that we don't always take everything too seriously.
Agreed. Your question falls in the category of "I'd tell you but then I'd have to kill you!". If you think about it, answering on a public forum what the "most secluded (whatever)" is will go a long way to assure that that place becomes anything but secluded

You asked for a list of the "most secluded" hikes/camping in the Adirondacks. It is a huge 6,000,000 acre park and no one knows your abilities! Perhaps a little more info on your end (where in general, how far, how difficult, what type of "camping", etc.) would yield more info? Then your question could be answered, at least in a general way.

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #17
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
...people can be annoying.
I agree, especially at a Dave Matthews show.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #18
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Hey there dmb,

I think you'll get more meaningful answers if you give the folks here a bit of your background. Fill in a few blanks like how much experience you have hiking/climbing/wilderness camping, that sort of thing. Also, you could explain the things you seek most, and those things you don't particularly enjoy. What type of terrain do you prefer? Hikes up trailed peaks? Hikes to back country campsites? Areas that can be paddled? Are you OK with bugs, cold, long distances, off trail treks?
Give a little more info and you'll get more help...there are a lot of folks here with tons of experience, I'm sure they'll help out.
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:07 AM   #19
ADKian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I agree, especially at a Dave Matthews show.
Greatest thing posted on the internet.....ever!
ADKian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:43 AM   #20
georgecarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
Yeah, but you can't get there from here.....
georgecarr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, hiking, secluded, seclusion, trails