Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2021, 04:59 PM   #1
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

St Regis laid back paddling

I spent a few days around St Regis this week.
Spent a few nights on Little Green and was joined by a buddy, his wife, 3 kids and 2 dogs!!
Looking back on my photos, it seems like I had ideal weather...it was not ideal.
Many storms passed over, some with impressive winds, lightening, thunder and heavy rains.
I did squeeze in some paddling up Ampersand Brook, but was hampered by the storms and the relentless deer flies.
But along the way, I did see a bald eagle, several beaver dam leaping whitetail deer, a beaver, tons of loons, a couple meteors, and even some fireflies.
I forgot how scenic the views are from Little Clear and even Hoel Pond...
I'll post some pics shortly.
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:02 PM   #2
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Ok, here's a few...

Boat launch on Little Green Pond

Stony Mt from Ampersand Brook

Stony Creek

Old 07-02-2021, 07:10 PM   #3
billconner

I was close by in Fish Creek Ponds.
Photos not displaying.
billconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 10:14 PM   #4
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by billconner View Post
I was close by in Fish Creek Ponds.
Photos not displaying.
Strange...I can see them even when logged out on my pc and my iphone.

OK, so let's try this link:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wTU4U4ozhjaEA1K1A
Old 07-02-2021, 10:41 PM   #5
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

As I mentioned, there were plenty of stormy weather.
As I paddled up the Ampersand Brook, I kept hearing thunder rumbling just north of me. As I was having a snack, the clouds got closer, darker, and lower, so I knew I should keep my rain gear handy. (I had only some snacks, water and water filter, and rain gear with me)
So I tucked my rain gear under my seat, and put my camera in the snack bag on the side of my seat.
Sure enough, it started to rain, lightly at first, so I tucked under some overhanging trees to put on my rain pants and rain jacket. No sooner did it come down in buckets, I had an inch of water in my canoe in a half hours time.
After the heavy stuff passed by, I found a good spot to empty my boat, and then started back down stream.
At a bend in Stony Creek, I saw a bald eagle in a white pine, directly in front of me. I stopped paddling and very slowly fumbled for my snack bag with the camera inside. I slowly and quietly unzipped the bag, and pulled out my camera, but, I was still drifting in the current. Apparently, the eagle was not happy with how close I was approaching, so it took flight. I got one lousy shot of it leaving the tree limb, and a slightly less poor shot of it in flight.
Maybe I have it attached here, if the pic is still not visible, it's in the linked album...if you go to the link, you can zoom in and see it a little better.

Link:
Old 07-03-2021, 07:08 AM   #6
billconner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Strange...I can see them even when logged out on my pc and my iphone.

OK, so let's try this link:
I can see them this morning. Maybe my connection yesterday. Very nice.
billconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 09:50 AM   #7
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Here's the view looking S on Little Clear, showing Ampersand, Boot Bay, Seward and Donaldson mountains.

And anyone that has paddled from Hoel to Turtle ponds will recognize this culvert.

Old 07-03-2021, 11:57 AM   #8
montcalm
Mobster

I love camping at Little Green. Unfortunately, for me, last time I stayed there I ended up in the Saranac Lake hospital. But it won't deter me from returning, although my current low clearance vehicle may!
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 04:00 PM   #9
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
I love camping at Little Green. Unfortunately, for me, last time I stayed there I ended up in the Saranac Lake hospital. But it won't deter me from returning, although my current low clearance vehicle may!
You can't just drop a bomb and walk away...
Let's hear the story.
Old 07-03-2021, 05:18 PM   #10
montcalm
Mobster

Oh - nothing exciting really...

We were camped at Little Green - had been all over before that, just kind of driving around and seeing where we landed. Was planning on staying there a couple nights though and doing essentially what you did - paddling around that area. But I started not feeling so great a day or so earlier. Just tired and had some abdominal pain. Figured maybe it was a virus and was going to fight through it seen how I was on vacation. That night at LG my pain was a lot worse and I had trouble sleeping. I wound up deciding to go to SL in the morning to get checked out. I think the Urgent Care was closed so we had to go straight to the hospital, which was good because that's where I would have ended up. They seemed to know exactly what it might be and did a dye scan. Turns out to be something called Diverticulitis. I was only in the hospital for a few hours before they released me and it was NBD. Just a bit of a long and uncomfortable ride home and some restricted diet and antibiotics for the next two weeks.

Last edited by montcalm; 07-03-2021 at 05:33 PM..
Old 07-03-2021, 07:18 PM   #11
montcalm
Mobster

Also I really just responded out of nostalgia. As you probably know, it's one of my favorite areas. I could easily spend a few weeks a year up in that generally region and really enjoy it. If it were closer to me, I definitely would, and did more than that before I had kids.

I've never had much issue there either no matter what I've planned. Done many different canoe trips and stayed at all the sites I was most interested in, for whatever that's worth. Done plenty of car/campground camping there and paddled all the other lakes and ponds that are easier access. Have had some great bike rides in the area as well as some great ski tours in the winter. There's still a number of day hikes I haven't done, and some longer, big water paddles that I've missed... so I'd love to be back.

I haven't done much backpacking in that general area but I'd love to do some a little south in the western High Peaks.
Old 07-03-2021, 10:19 PM   #12
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

Stripperguy, those are great pictures and it looks like a nice place. I'm looking forward to exploring the SRCA and surrounding waters as well as more of the Whitney Wilderness once I move. It's funny that the picture of Stony Creek is so grassy, it's kind of like Sandy Creek near here which flows over solid rock for much of its length.

Montcalm, I'm glad your hospital story wasn't worse, but it sounds like it must have been quite unpleasant anyhow.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 09:30 AM   #13
montcalm
Mobster

Lived to paddle another day!

Zach - you'll soon be able to hook up your boat to your bike and take a short ride up to that area. I'll imagine you'll have a toe in each of those lakes and ponds in a short while.

If you can invest in a mountain bike, I'd recommend it. Doesn't need to be too fancy but lots of dirt roads and few truck trails to ride.
Old 07-04-2021, 11:11 AM   #14
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Zach,
There was quite a few spots on Stony Creek that had that same look, like paddling through a Monet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post

If you can invest in a mountain bike, I'd recommend it. Doesn't need to be too fancy but lots of dirt roads and few truck trails to ride.
Speaking of which, here's a couple pics of the former ADK RR, near the fish hatchery, and also at the end of Hoel Pond.
Lots more mountain biking opportunities coming soon!

I do wonder how/if added exposure from the hike-bike trail will increase pressure WRT paddling and back country camping.

Old 07-04-2021, 06:39 PM   #15
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Oh, and here's a cropped version of that poor bald eagle photo...too bad I didn't capture it when it was perched in the big white pine

Old 07-04-2021, 07:15 PM   #16
montcalm
Mobster

I forgot about that rail trail. They are usually boringly flat, but if it's a way to get from A to B on a bike without dealing with cars (or dogs), then I'm all for it. I have no idea what kind of impacts it might have... might see a few more people towing boats with bikes though...
Old 07-04-2021, 10:02 PM   #17
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

The bald eagle is at least nicely identifiable, and sometimes that's how it goes with moving targets in my experience.

The rail trail looks almost ready to use, I had thought that the DEC had said it wouldn't be open till 2023 or something like that, back some months ago. I think that for the rail trail I'll be able to ride my faithful and long-suffering touring bike, I've been through the Moose River Plains and Stillwater Rd with it and I think this route will at least be flatter and less prone to washouts.

I may look into a mountain bike someday. I've mostly used a bike as a way to go places on paved and occasional dirt roads, and for that a mountain bike is not as efficient. My first bike when I was 15 was a Huffy MTB that I got from the dump in Maine for $1.50 and fixed up a bit, but my experience with singletrack and no-track riding was that I either went slowly and it was a bit dull or I went fast and was momentarily expecting a mind-meld with any of a number of passing tree trunks. As was said by the great Tom Waits; "The trees were like scary fingers, reaching...."
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote