No announcement yet.

any good books about the Adirondacks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably not on the serious end, but I enjoyed "An Adirondack Passage: The Cruise of the Canoe Sairy Gamp" by Christine Jerome.

Wanted recommendation: I've been taken by the Seneca Ray Stoddard print on the lowest (hallway) floor of the NYS museum, print called "The way it looks from the stern seat." Does anyone have any recommendations on books by or about Stoddard? We are travelling to Myrtle Beach in a week and I can think of no better way to spend time than to read about the ADKs.

I'd also second (or third) the O'hern book "Life with Noah."

Finally, I'll add another non-ADK reco that had great linkage to the outdoor ethic "A Man Apart: Bill Coperthwaite’s Radical Experiment in Living" by Peter Forbes and Helen Whybrow.

Comment

With a trip planned for August that includes a brief family visit in the Adirondacks then about a week each in the Greens and Whites, I thought it would be a good time to read Forest and Crag by the Watermans. My wife brought it home tonight, all 888 pages of it. Good thing it's a year-long loan.

Comment

an actually in the process of rereading Adirondacks a history of Americas first wilderness
        there was so much information in it , with people and dates hard to take it all in on first read

Comment

The Adirondack Park: A Political History by Frank Graham is quite a book, albeit getting rare and expensive when you can find one. I think Mrs. Chambers at the Adirondack Reader in Inlet had one for $75.00 last summer.

All of Jay O'Hearn's books will give you hours of enjoyment. I've been worried about him as I have not seen him listed for author's nights, and I am eagerly awaiting his history of the Moose River Plains.

Tales from the Liar's Bench (I can't put my hand on it now and can't remember the author) is a great collection of tall takes from Bill Smith, Harvey Carr and many others.

Comment

Whew! Just closed the book on Forest and Crag (I skipped the reference notes so it was only 672 pages). Great read, but in the time it took to get through it I picked up two more about the Northeast mountains.

Comment

The 21 Mine by Jeffrey Kelly is a fictionalized story of an escape from a shock incarceration camp near Port Henry. It's got some good mining history, a bit of local economy and culture. Anyone wants it PM and I'll drop it in the mail, bought it at a used book sale on dime day, the postage is on me.

Comment

Man of the Woods - Herbert F Keith
                Amazing history on the Oswegatchie river and the town of Wanakena in the early 20th century.
                Adventures in the Wilderness - W.H.H Murray
                This book is credited with driving a tourism boom in the Adk’s in the late 1800’s.
                Adirondack Takes - W.H.H Murray
                More tales from exploration of the 1800’s wilderness.
                The Adirondacks: Fulton Chain — Big Moose Region - Joseph H Grady
                Localized, detailed history of the region referenced in the title.
                Woodswoman and Beyond Black Bear Lake - Anne LaBastille
                About a young female ecologist journey with building a home deep in the ADK away from civilization.
                An Adirondack Passage - Christine Jerome
                A more recent book where the author follows famed ADK paddler/explorer George W. Sears (aka nessmuk)’s famed “Old forge to Paul Smiths” paddle route.
                The life and Adventures of Nat Foster - A.L Byron Curtis
                Biographical history about famed hunter/trapper Nat Foster

Comment

I am currently re-reading Donaldson's two-volume history of the Adirondacks.
                  "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
                  - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

A recently released book looking at the creation of the APA (love it or hate it), is titled A Wild Idea by Brad Edmondson. Together with the Adirondack Museum, there will be a documentary on PBS in the fall as well. The book is currently available for 30% off the cover price through the website. There are lots of interviews at the website with the author and people he interviewed that became the material for the book. www.awildidea.com

I just finished An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser. It was tough to stick with it, but all the regional connections helped me persevere. It was written in the 1920's based on actual events of 1906 and really raised some eyebrows at the time. All the descriptions of getting around upstate NY via trolley and trains is agonizing from my perspective as someone who abhors the resources we put into roads for personal vehicles. That's the American tragedy in my view.

Comment

O'Hern's Moose River Plains book

William "Jay" O'Hern's newest book is out now: "The Adirondacks' - Moose River Plains Vol. 1 - Life Around the Indian Clearing," and his book about Adirondack logging is excellent too.

-ADK Seasons Greetings to all!
                      SAR Team / Wild Food / My New Book

Comment

Working...
                      X