The old maps website (doc.unh.edu)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The old maps website (doc.unh.edu)

Anyone know what happened to the old Topo maps website at doc.unh.edu?
    The page now says “Forbidden, You don’t have permission to access this resource”.

I get a different message if I look under "doc.unh.edu" vs "docs.unh.edu". The first I get a message to contact the librarian, the second I get a forbidden message.

I looked on the unh site and I can't find the maps, but there is a message about contacting the librarian for access.

It seems perhaps it's no longer a public resource.

Comment

Good find.

That's the link to their website that directs you to the archive.

Comment

You can also get them from USGS, although through a slightly more complicated process.
        The goal of The National Map’s Historical Topographic Map Collection (HTMC) is to provide a digital repository of USGS 1:250,000 scale and larger maps printed between 1884 and 2006.
        "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

ESRI has old topo maps for the entire US accessible via an interactive map. They also have a much greater selection of years than the UNH site had. You can also pull up multiple years at once and adjust the transparency so that you can overlay and compare them.

The USGS Historical Topographic Map Explorer brings the rich tapestry of US historical maps to everyone, and it allows them to share views of the collection as a web maps.

Comment

That last one is the one I like.

Comment

Explore, interact, and download topographic maps from the USGS free of charge.

Comment

Use this code as a custom mapsource in MOBAC, and you can get all USGS topo maps, and save them to any format for your device.

You can view what the map looks like here (zoom below level 8 to get topo).

I've been packaging the data up into mbtiles files by entire state. The file was around 12GB for all of NY state.

Code:
                  <customMapSource>
                  <name>ArcGIS_USGS_TOPO</name>
                  <minZoom>8</minZoom>
                  <maxZoom>15</maxZoom>
                  <tileType>jpg</tileType>
                  <tileUpdate>None</tileUpdate>
                  <url>https://services.arcgisonline.com/arcgis/rest/services/USA_Topo_Maps/MapServer/tile/{$z}/{$y}/{$x}</url>
                  <backgroundColor>#000000</backgroundColor>
                  </customMapSource>

Comment

Originally posted by Bunchberry View Post
                    I feel like this was perhaps overlooked - but I was using this the other day and it's quite good.

As far as I can tell it has the whole library of historic USGS maps in both an online viewer and available as download - click the little button to the right that says "view and download" and it will take you to an online viewer.

It's very easy to use - you don't need to download, just click on an area of the map and it will give you all the available quads for that area. You can then simply click "show" and it will layer the historic map over the base map. You can adjust the transparency to compare to the basemap. It's a nice tool, I recommend trying it out

Thanks for the link Bunchberry - I missed this and found it on my own but I never saw this post earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by Wldrns View Post
                      You can also get them from USGS, although through a slightly more complicated process.
                      https://www.usgs.gov/core-science-sy...ge_related_con
                      This is the same deal too - the topoview link on that page takes you to the the link to get to the viewer. There's a lot of info there and it's not necessarily obvious how to get the maps in an easy to view format, but once you do, it's a good interface. Similar to the ESRI link.

Comment

Just another way

I realize this is a slight tangent and could be a whole 'nother thread. I'm sure it's already there.....

There are many phone apps out there offering various topo maps and that's not new to many people.

I use Avenza but I really like another one specifically because it provides access to all the USGS topo maps for free once you pay the fee for the base app. Of course they're all the dated USGS topos. It's ihikegps.

It lets you download and delete and redownload any quad as many times as you want for free. I keep many favorite quads loaded and then add the ones for the seldom needed areas when I need them. If you have a reasonable cell connection you can load the maps in the field. I'll be reading a magazine or a forum and hear about some area and quickly download the topo to see the terrain.

I'm guessing other apps do the same.

Comment

Lately I've been using the interface at https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer . In addition to having quite a few historic USGS maps available via an interactive map, it also has lots of historic aerial images as well as the open street map interface. And it has several different ways of comparing any 2 of the available layers.

Comment

Working...
                          X