Autumn Adirondack Afternoon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autumn Adirondack Afternoon

Back in late October a friend and I did a day adventure to Russian Lake in the Pigeon Lake Wilderness. Here is a short video I put together from our adventure.

Visit me at: www.adirondackjoe.wordpress.com
    Whats the matter Col. Sanders, Chicken!

Nice video. Russian lake is on my "to do" list for this year, as is Upper Gull Lake- plus maybe a trip to Andy's Creek (or as the sign calls it, "Andes Creek"). Would be nice if I can get 3 consecutive nights to camp in all 3 spots in a single trip.

I visited Lower Sister Lake with a friend for a 1 night trip back in 2013. Definitely a neat area. I think the combination of having to paddle (or at the least, take a boat) and then hike several miles to camp keeps the use level for Lower Sister Lake pretty low. Not sure about the other lean-tos as they are shorter hikes- so maybe they get a little bit more use.

Comment

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post
      Nice video. Russian lake is on my "to do" list for this year, as is Upper Gull Lake- plus maybe a trip to Andy's Creek (or as the sign calls it, "Andes Creek"). Would be nice if I can get 3 consecutive nights to camp in all 3 spots in a single trip.

I visited Lower Sister Lake with a friend for a 1 night trip back in 2013. Definitely a neat area. I think the combination of having to paddle (or at the least, take a boat) and then hike several miles to camp keeps the use level for Lower Sister Lake pretty low. Not sure about the other lean-tos as they are shorter hikes- so maybe they get a little bit more use.
      I've done Andy's Creek also but not the Gull Lakes which I hope to hit this year as well. Also been thinking of the Sisters also. I totally agree the more you need to travel to get there the less people.

Comment

We did Gull lakes years ago an then up Andy's creek to Terror lake,
        here is a tread pondhopper did on it

Comment

Originally posted by Cold River Bob View Post
          We did Gull lakes years ago an then up Andy's creek to Terror lake,
          here is a tread pondhopper did on it
          https://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=4437
          Thank you for sharing, I'll check it out.

Comment

Upper Gull is a neat spot. The water is creepy though. Looks totally devoid of all life. The old trail from lower gull to upper makes it less of carry as you can paddle around lower. Cannot hike the old trail as it is underwater now, but it makes for a good portage trail from lower to upper.

Cool video!
            "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Comment

Upper Gull is not completely dead. There's at least one beaver out there, I'm sure of that.

The lake may in fact be completely dead due to acidification.

Comment

Originally posted by montcalm View Post
                Upper Gull is not completely dead. There's at least one beaver out there, I'm sure of that.

The lake may in fact be completely dead due to acidification.
                How long ago was it that you and I were there?
                "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Comment

5 years? Been a while.

Not a bad spot. That steep hill out of lower Gull is a pita but other than that not bad.

Comment

I visited Lower Sister once, and there was a large group at the lean-to. I couldn't find a place to put up my 1 person tent anywhere along that trail near the lake area, the ground was completely covered with very small evergreens, I forget what kind, about 2" in diameter and one per square yard. Not the kind of woods you could get through easily, other than on the path. It's a nice destination, but if the lean-to is full you might have to backtrack a ways to find a spot, as I recall

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
                      I visited Lower Sister once, and there was a large group at the lean-to. I couldn't find a place to put up my 1 person tent anywhere along that trail near the lake area, the ground was completely covered with very small evergreens, I forget what kind, about 2" in diameter and one per square yard. Not the kind of woods you could get through easily, other than on the path. It's a nice destination, but if the lean-to is full you might have to backtrack a ways to find a spot, as I recall
                      Yeah, I remember noticing that the forest was absolutely dense with undergrowth. I also had the same observation: that if you trekked all the way out there only to find that the lean-to was already occupied, you'd be SOL with regards to finding your own spot. A good destination to keep some extra energy in reserve if you're planning to camp there, just in case.

Comment

Video

Originally posted by DuctTape View Post
                        Upper Gull is a neat spot. The water is creepy though. Looks totally devoid of all life. The old trail from lower gull to upper makes it less of carry as you can paddle around lower. Cannot hike the old trail as it is underwater now, but it makes for a good portage trail from lower to upper.

Cool video!
                        I'd love to explore that area and hope to this year. So many places, so little time.. Glad you liked the video, thank you for watching.

Comment

Originally posted by DuctTape View Post
                          The water is creepy though. Looks totally devoid of all life.

That water is EXTREMELY acidic. It's also really shallow.

Comment

Working...
                          X