Three bobcats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three bobcats?

On 12/27, I was driving slowly down a seasonal dirt road in Franklin County on my way to a hike when I saw a bobcat walk onto the road from the right with a second bobcat following closely behind. Almost immediately, they saw/heard my vehicle, turned around and jumped back into the brush. As I drove up to the spot in the road they had departed from, I was able to look down an access trail along a swamp. Lo and behold, there were three bobcats! They all appeared to be the same size, though I only had about three seconds total to observe them before they disappeared from view down the trail.

I had been under the impression that most wild cats were solitary creatures. Has anyone else seen or heard of multiple bobcats hanging out together outside cub raising season?

What you saw was pretty rare. It's a bit early, but my guess is that one was a female and she came into heat

Comment

It may have also been a mother cat with her cubs. I read they can stay together for about 10 months. Regardless, that's a very cool sighting!

Comment

Working...
      X