Camping 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping 2020

The Photography thread on this website has not been very busy this year. I love looking at other people's photos. I guess I should not complain unless I share - so here it goes.

In this post I have a single photo taken from every Adirondack campsite I camped at in 2020 - there are 10 of them. In most cases I camped at the campsite for the first time, but three of them are repeat favorites. Some of the labeled locations are technically incorrect, but they are close enough. Sorry about not being clearer about the locations but I would not want to give away my favorite locations that easily.

I invite everyone to add some of their 2020 camping photos to this thread.

Fulton Chain Wild Forest
    IMG_0268.jpg
    Five Ponds Wilderness
    IMG_0497.jpg
    West Canada Lakes Wilderness
    IMG_0812_ed1.jpg
    Saranac Lakes Wild Forest #1
    IMG_1241.jpg
    Pharaoh Lake Wilderness
    IMG_2095.jpg
    Moose River Plains Wild Forest #1
    IMG_2376.jpg
    Jessup River Wild Forest
    IMG_2452.jpg
    Moose River Plains Wild Forest #2
    IMG_2560.jpg
    Moose River Plains Wild Forest #3
    IMG_2672.jpg
    Saranac Lakes Wild Forest #2
    IMG_2801.jpg
    Last edited by Crash; 12-12-2020, 10:49 AM.

Some iPhone Photos

Chair Rock Flow, night & day.

IMG_5078.jpg
    IMG_5081.jpg
    ~~Leave no trace~~

Comment

Great photos!!

Comment

Originally posted by snav3 View Post
        Chair Rock Flow, night & day.
        Nice snav3! That gives me an idea for another Photography thread: Same View, Different Time of Day or Seasons. I'm sure I could dig up some photos that would fit that one.

I believe the Chair Rock Flow campsite is the only Cranberry Lake campsite that I never visited.

Comment

Crash and snav3 , nice photos.
          Crash , there's probably lots of reasons people don't post photos much anymore , I think one is because your photos can be copied and saved by whoever.

Comment

Backwoodsman, thank you for your compliment.

I understand that someone could download my photos, but I do retain the copyright of my photos, even if I post them. And in actuality, I don’t think I would have a problem if someone would copy a photo for their own personal use. And the photos, as posted on this site, are down-sampled and compressed so much that their quality is rather poor compared with the originals.

The biggest reason I would hesitate to post photos is out of concern for over-popularizing my favorite spots. Labeling only by the unit name leaves the location vague – at least for most viewers. But I figure that a fellow well-traveled Adirondack paddler should be able to identify the locations of at least half of my shots (especially with the help of the unit name). And if anybody PM’d me about a particular photo I’d likely have no problem providing details – I just wouldn’t want the details permanently searchable on the WWW.

But mainly, I just enjoy sharing the cools things I’ve found in these woods.

Comment

It depends on how/where they are hosted. Some image hosts have stipulations in the fine print stating that you grant them license to use the image when you upload it to their servers. To some extent, this is necessary in a legal sense for them to be able to host the images for you... but there is always the chance that they could use your image for something else, without legally needing to ask your permission or even tell you they are doing so.

Comment

On this site, there is no such transfer of photo rights (moderators, please tell me if I'm wrong).

But I do agree that there are certain sites where you do transfer rights. For example, I've noticed that if you submit a campground photo to the ReserveAmerica website, it becomes their property. At one time I considered uploading a few photos there, but I quickly changed my mind when I read that.

Comment

Originally posted by Crash View Post
                  On this site, there is no such transfer of photo rights (moderators, please tell me if I'm wrong).
                  There was an issue in the past concerning copyright of content that was posted to these forums- although not from the forum Admins. If I remember correctly, someone was taking trip reports (and maybe even also photos?) and copying them in their entirety to a third party site without permission or even making either the forum admins or the post authors/picture photographers aware that they were doing so.

The result of that situation was that this disclaimer regarding copyright of material hosted on these forums was authored and posted to the ADKHighPeaks forums to clarify exactly who owns what for anything hosted on these sites.

That post makes it pretty clear that to some extent, yes, the ADKHighPeaks Foundation does become a co-owner of your photos when you choose to host them here. However, the photographer has the right to delete any such photos, which in turn removes any such "ownership" rights of the photo by the foundation.

Comment

Another consideration: The foundation has made posts to social media sites (such as Facebook) advertising content posted to these forums- usually trip reports. When those posts are made, the social media algorithm typically scrapes the content of the destination web page and (among other things) grabs images to include in the post made to the social media site- including sometime forum member photos that were included as part of the trip report. That would be an example of how the ADKHighPeaks Foundation is exercising their rights to your image, in a way that you potentially did not anticipate initially when you chose to upload it here.

FWIW- they may have chosen to do this with permission of the post author (any forum admin is welcome to chime in here on this). Even if not, it's not exactly something that I would personally view in any nefarious light.

The way I look at it is that any image that I put online is at risk of being saved, shared, etc. in ways far beyond what I might find acceptable, whether legally or not- and to not take steps to protect one's intellectual property regardless of the image host is to practically invite abuse. I'm generally careful (with a few exceptions) never to upload original quality images, so that at the very least, only I retain the rights to and/or have access to the original quality image.

And in fact, the biggest issues I've had regarding "unauthorized use" of my photos have stemmed not from strangers, but from friends. It's been a bit of a challenge trying to get both myself and my friends on the same page regarding what are reasonable expectations concerning their use of my photos.

Comment

Working...
                    X