Little Tupper Lake - odd reverberating sounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Tupper Lake - odd reverberating sounds

Spent the better part of last week out on the far part of LTL (site 10) and throughout the daytime hours you could feel some sort of strange vibration while at the site. We have spend a lot of time at LTL and the entire W.C.W area and never had anything like this before, hence the post...

I crossed off the losing my mind/going crazy since I wasn't alone and both of us out there felt the same thing every single time it occurred. Every so often you'd get a similar feeling to when your heart beats super-fast to the point you feel it in your head. Only it certainly wasn't that - it was something causing a reverberating sensation that would start slowly before becoming more rapid and then dying off, all in a matter of maybe 3-5 seconds.

I imagine there's some sort of work being done way out in that area that's behind it but given the oddity of it figured I'd ask in case anyone in this forum had a clue.

Felt the same thing at that same spot.

Pretty sure it was because I was there with you.

Comment

Whitney Death Ray

Comment

Originally posted by montcalm View Post
        Whitney Death Ray
        Ha! Looking forward to some of these responses. Lost and Stranger Things certainly crossed my mind after 3+ days of feeling it

Comment

It kept up for 3 days?! That is wild, was it only during the day or did it also occur at night?
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          And lungs are poisoned and shoulders bowed,
          In the smothering reek of mill and mine;
          And death stalks in on the struggling crowd?
          But he shuns the shadow of the oak and pine?
          ― George W. Sears Nessmuk, Woodcraft and Camping

Comment

Maybe it was a Sonic weapon test... like Havana syndrome???

Comment

Originally posted by Jwojcik1990 View Post
              It kept up for 3 days?! That is wild, was it only during the day or did it also occur at night?
              yup. happened multiple times a day but never at night. Never felt it on the water (not surprised) and don't recall feeling it when we stopped at other areas along the lake (RR bridge at Charlie Pond, sites along Rock Pond outlet, southern part of lake, etc.).

Really wondering if those who camped at 11, 12 and other sites on that part of the lake experienced the same thing.

Comment

My real guess is hydrofracking somewhere in the area. Possibly for a well?

Comment

Originally posted by montcalm View Post
                  My real guess is hydrofracking somewhere in the area. Possibly for a well?
                  that would make sense. and selfishly certainly makes me happy to not live near any fracking sites if that's what they are living with every day!

Comment

It’s just a guess based on my knowledge that well drillers do use that technology, although unlikely any gas or oil fracking in the Adirondacks.

I would have guessed earthquakes because they are not unheard of in the mountains but they don’t care if it’s day or night. Also if you didn’t feel them on the water that makes me think they were being transmitted through the stiff bedrock and didn’t have enough energy to propagate through the water. The only things I could think of that might ring the bedrock like that is mining or fracking. I don’t think there are any active mines near enough to LTL

Comment

Was there any low rumble "booming" sound? If so was there at all direction noted, such as coming from the northwestern direction? Often artillery training fire can be heard coming from Fort Drum, even as far away as Tupper or beyond.
                      "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Sounds to me like you heard a grouse. I had one next to my campsite in Moose River Plains this past weekend. I recorded the audio but don't know how to post it.

Comment

Here is a youtube video of a ruffed grouse drumming:
                          SUBSCRIBE: http://bit.ly/lifeoflukeI stalked this Ruffed Grouse with my camera to capture his "drumming" display. The low WHUP-WHUP-WHUP sound of its wings b...

Comment

Originally posted by chief900 View Post
                            ...start slowly before becoming more rapid and then dying off, all in a matter of maybe 3-5 seconds...

My bet is on grouse, fits your description perfectly.
                            I always get such a kick out of the idea of those guys beating their chests to attract the ladies, or impress the other guys.
                            I've seen the same phenomena in a local bar.

Comment

There is no fracking in NYS for oil and gas - that was outlawed by Cuomo. I would have guessed minor earth tremors, but if they stopped at night, that seems improbable. Ft. Drum is a possibility. I've heard/felt rumbles a considerable distance from the range. I think the ruffed grouse theory is a good guess

Comment

Working...
                              X