Info on paddling Minerva Stream/Trout Brook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info on paddling Minerva Stream/Trout Brook

If anyone has any information on paddling Minerva Stream and/or Trout Brook, could you please let me know? I know of a Canoe access point on Minerva Stream but don't know anything regarding the terrain or if there is any access points on Trout Brook and/or how far you can go. Any info would be appreciated, via response or PM, thank you!
    Enjoy the serenity of this place!

There's a canoe access point near the dump entrance. From there you can go up or down the Minerva Stream. Down stream there is an access point where it goes under the bridge on Cty Rte. 30 or go all the way to the gazebo at the dam. High water conditions are best for doing the Dump to Dam run because there are always a few beaver dams along the way.

There are some limited flat water sections on the Trout near Olmsedville, but access is limited. You can access the southern end of Trout Brook from it's junction with the Schroon River.
    'I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.' - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Hey Adk Keith, thank you very much for the info! It is greatly appreciated! Is the dump that your referring to also O'Neil Rd? I am okay with portages around/over the beaver damns. How far up can you go from the dump (if it's the same reference above?) Thank you again!
      Enjoy the serenity of this place!

Comment

Correct: O'Neil Road

You can go a mile or so up stream. Pretty much all the way to Shevlin Road.

While you're in the area you should swing by for a visit at Hornbeck Boats. Always fun.
        'I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.' - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Minerva stream

Paddled from canoe access point at the bridge up to oneil road on 5/30/2015. Great adventure on a meandering stream. Many beaver dams and some downfall, we were able to run several dams on the way back downstream. It was an excellent adventure . Wonderful scenery. Returned yesterday to paddle upstream from oneil road to shevlin road. Drove into bridge on shevlin road and marked a waypoint . We put in at oneil bridge and headed up stream. Great scenery beautiful clear water and lots of maneuvering in this section. We crossed many dams and climb up over, under and around a fair amount of deadfall . We did not make it to shevlin bridge but according to gps we were about .3 a mile away. From the previous bridge scout we were aware of rock garden and shallow water. Ride back to oneil was a hoot. We ran several dams and scurried over some dead fall. Only down side to the day was some one target practicing nearby. We found the shooting to be scary as we could not determine where it was coming from and we're thankful for the high stream banks.

Comment

Good to hear you had a good couple of days adventure.

I've heard target practice while above O'Neil Rd. as well. From what I could tell they were shooting either parallel or slightly away from the stream. Most people around here are pretty careful about where they shoot. It's the people that target practice at their island campsites that bother me!

Comment

Minerva Stream Paddle - 8/27/21

I put in at the dam and paddled almost all the way up to the transfer station. It was just over 7 miles round trip. Water level was high due to all of the rain in recent weeks. I had to get out for three beaver dams and paddled over a few others. It was a very nice paddle; quite peaceful, just heard road noise in a few places and I had the stream to myself. Thanks to telmarkmike and offonadventure for his trip report that I found very useful.
              Attached Files

Comment

Always one of my favorite paddles

Comment

Working...
                X