ADK paddling books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADK paddling books

Just getting back into paddling, starting with the Saranac Lakes area, but am looking for information about some of the more easterly streams. I have the ADK paddling books, but they're quite out of date (2003 and, especially, 1994). Are there newer ones available?

I'm not familiar with the ADK books, if you mean something published by ADK. The books I've used are: Adirondack Paddling: 60 great flatwater adventures, by Phil Brown (Lost Pond Press) --Quiet Water New York, John Hayes & Alex Wilson (AMC) -- and of course the Adirondack Paddler's Guide by Dave Cilley (Paddlesports Press, which is part of St Regis Canoe Outfitters). You will have noticed that I'm a flatwater paddler only. I'm sure there are tons of whitewater/river publications. I know AMC does some, and there's the NF Canoe Trail. [edit] All of the ones I mentioned are more recent than 2003.
    I'll be interested to see what else people mention!

Comment

Before any of the others became available and "popular", the definitive Adirondack paddling bible was: "Adirondack Canoe Waters : North Flow" by legendary paddler and instructor Paul F. Jamieson

I have an original green cover 1981 edition, which literally was my "bible" to learning to paddle Adirondack waters. I can't imagine that much has changed significantly in any of the padling route descriptions. The orginal is still available online with not nuch searching. There is a 1988 republished edition if you prefer.
      "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

The latest edition of the Phil Brown book now has 65 trips.
        Some short reviews of NYS guidebooks can be found here: https://northeastwild.blogspot.com/2...uidebooks.html
        https://www.facebook.com/adkpaddleski/

https://northeastwild.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Wldrns View Post
          Before any of the others became available and "popular", the definitive Adirondack paddling bible was: "Adirondack Canoe Waters : North Flow" by legendary paddler and instructor Paul F. Jamieson

I have an original green cover 1981 edition, which literally was my "bible" to learning to paddle Adirondack waters. I can't imagine that much has changed significantly in any of the padling route descriptions. The orginal is still available online with not nuch searching. There is a 1988 republished edition if you prefer.
          The 1994 one to which I refer is a reprinted copy of the 1988 version. It's a great book, but many of the property ownership issues mentioned may be out of date.

Comment

Wow, talk about a blast from the past...I bought the North Flow guidebook immediately after doing the long diagonal in 1976. I regret passing it along when I bought the 1998 edition.

As far as more current books, as mentioned upthread, there's only been a few land acquisitions and easements since 2003 that would affect access. Most of the lakes, rivers and streams have not moved much in the intervening years.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, above; I haven't followed up on them yet but have been reading the "Adirondack Canoe Waters: North Flow" and, especially along the St. Regis River, there are many mentions about private camps and gates. It also mentions the edge of public land, but Jamieson's description of them doesn't agree with my reading of the land boundaries on Paddlesports' map. I'll pick up their guidebook next time I'm in SL. Much of this river seems to be whitewater, and my new Hornbeck wouldn't like that!
              I also have Phil Brown's book, but it is much less comprehensive.

Comment

Quiet Water New York:

This new edition hasn't changed much from the previous one but still a good one.
                John

Comment

Working...
                X