Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2020, 04:50 PM   #1
Bunchberry

Mine Waste in the Eastern Adirondacks contains rare earth minerals

https://www.usgs.gov/news/mine-waste...sminerals&s=09
Bunchberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 10:40 AM   #2
skillzman1

interesting.
Old 12-29-2020, 09:18 AM   #3
adkman12986

Heard the same findings in the old mines in Tahawus and the J&L site in Star Lake.
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 03:53 PM   #4
MTVhike

This is not new information, but useful anyway. Remember, "Rare earth elements" are not really rare, but are important for certain modern industrial processes.
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 04:45 PM   #5
Hear the Footsteps

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVhike View Post
This is not new information, but useful anyway. Remember, "Rare earth elements" are not really rare, but are important for certain modern industrial processes.
To MTVhike's point. Wasn't it Sen Schumer at one point promoting the possibility to haul the tailings from the Tahawus Mine considering it already had a rail connection?

Found it. It was 2014.

Last edited by Hear the Footsteps; 12-30-2020 at 09:58 AM..
Hear the Footsteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 10:10 AM   #6
Hear the Footsteps

I've always has some curiosity on who coined of the term Rare Earths but never was motivated enough till now to look around for an explanation.

From American Chemical Society
"The rare earths were so named because of their low concentration in minerals which were scarce. However, some of the elements are not as rare as once thought."

"...the elements were isolated as "earths" or oxides of the elements..."

From Science History dot org.
"The term rare earth was coined when an unusual black rock was unearthed by a miner in Ytterby, Sweden, in 1788. The ore was called “rare” because it had never been seen before and “earth” because that was the 18th-century geological term for rocks that could be dissolved in acid. In 1794 the chemist Johan Gadolin named this previously unknown “earth” yttria, after the town where it was discovered. Over time the mines around Ytterby extracted rocks that yielded four elements named for the town (yttrium, ytterbium, terbium, and erbium)."
Hear the Footsteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 11:03 AM   #7
TCD

Gadolin did pretty well; he also has Gadolinium named after him, even though it was discovered 100 years later by other scientists.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 11:30 AM   #8
Wldrns

Also "rare" because those particular elements making up the minerals do not tend to clump in one location very extensively. They as individual elements are difficult to isolate from one another because the internal atomic electronic structure is so similar that they have almost identical chemical properties, making chemical isolation a very tricky process.

Last edited by Wldrns; 12-31-2020 at 01:26 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:06 AM   #9
adkman12986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hear the Footsteps View Post
To MTVhike's point. Wasn't it Sen Schumer at one point promoting the possibility to haul the tailings from the Tahawus Mine considering it already had a rail connection?

Found it. It was 2014.
Not sure who it was but as a former employee and resident of Tahawus I can say there are mountains of tailings as thee is the same at J&L
\
Old 12-31-2020, 12:32 PM   #10
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkman12986 View Post
Not sure who it was but as a former employee and resident of Tahawus I can say there are mountains of tailings as thee is the same at J&L
\
Didn't they just spend all kinds of money to cap and remediate J&L?

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 02:06 PM   #11
TCD

I think the project was to remediate the underground fuel oil spill from earlier decades. I don't think the tailings pile is involved in the remediation.
Old 12-31-2020, 02:41 PM   #12
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
I think the project was to remediate the underground fuel oil spill from earlier decades. I don't think the tailings pile is involved in the remediation.

Yes

https://www.nny360.com/news/eyesore-...028534390.html

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 09:32 PM   #13
Justin
Moving along

Wasn’t there a big uproar not too long ago with the Iowa Pacific company removing tailing piles from Tahawas? Then they started storing old oil tankers along the tracks, or something along those lines (no pun intended)...?
I vaguely remember reading about it and was curious if that was connected in some way.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:21 AM   #14
adkman12986

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairrock View Post
Didn't they just spend all kinds of money to cap and remediate J&L?
Yes it was to tear down the buildings and get rid of the asbestos The tailings piles are still there
Old 01-01-2021, 09:23 AM   #15
adkman12986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Wasn’t there a big uproar not too long ago with the Iowa Pacific company removing tailing piles from Tahawas? Then they started storing old oil tankers along the tracks, or something along those lines (no pun intended)...?
I vaguely remember reading about it and was curious if that was connected in some way.
I believe the issue with the rail was more to it going threw some primitive areas and not so much as the removing of the tailings
Old 01-01-2021, 05:09 PM   #16
TCD

Yes, that's right. The issue with the railroad, whether or not it should remain, "rail" vs. "trail", the cost of operating, and the storage of old oil cars is all separate from the tailings pile. The railroad had proposed the tailings removal as part of its argument for why the railroad should remain active.
Old 01-02-2021, 06:54 AM   #17
Justin
Moving along

Copy. Thanks guys.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:16 AM   #18
Bunchberry

I have no idea what is going on at the Tahawas mine but would you not want the tailings be kept at the site to help put the site back the way it was?

Don't be too critical of me. I don't have a clue of what I am talking about. Is there a way to read up on the site and the issues involved?
Bunchberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:20 PM   #19
TCD

The mine hole is now a pond; I don't think it would be worthwhile to try to fill it back in. Plus the tailings contain potentially valuable material. A lot of energy was expended to get that stuff onto the surface; it would be a shame to waste that effort.

I think the best way to "remediate" the area would be to remove the tailings (possibly for some kind of processing) and on the return trip bring in enough top soil to allow for revegetation to start.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:40 PM   #20
montcalm
Mobster

Yeah, there's apparently a difference between tailing and overburden. Overburden is relatively inert rock. Tailings are what was separated from the ore that was mined, which is sometimes unstable or harmful. Overburden can and is usually backfilled into the mine, tailings are contained in a safe area or reused.

So long story short, the tailings usually do not end up back in the mine from what I have read.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote