Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2019, 07:06 AM   #1
Bark Eater Too

And the ADK hiking challenge list continues to grow....

Creative! https://www.adirondackdailyenterpris...th-local-beer/
Old 07-07-2019, 05:57 AM   #2
debmonster
No Ramen Allowed

Now that's a patch worth pursuing!
debmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:11 AM   #3
OntarioSkiBum

Is there a list of all the challenges somewhere?

Besides this one, the ones I'm aware of are:

-46ers
-Saranac 6
-Firetower Challenge
-Hamilton County Waterfall Challenge
OntarioSkiBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 02:22 PM   #4
Lonehiker

I know several people at work who will definitely be doing this. They love their breweries as well as hiking.
Lonehiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 03:21 PM   #5
Lonehiker

The challenges grow almost every year. Several sites are not updated. Here are some I know.

*Many of these have winter and Ultra variants
*I'm not versed in paddling

-Fire Tower Challenge
-46er Challenge and all of its multitude expansion packs like the grid
-Waterfall 50 Challenge
-Saranac 6er
-Lake George 12ster
-Round The Lake
-Lake Placid 9er
-Tupper Lake Triad
-Fulton Chain Trifecta
-Inlet Outdoor Family Challenge
-Moriah Challenge
-Chestertown Challenge
-Indian Lake 4-3-2-1 Challenge
-Hamilton County Fire Tower Challenge
-Hamilton County waterfall Challenge
-29er Challenge
-Adirondack6pack
-Northville-Lake Placid Trail
-Cranberry 50
-Adirondack Quest

Paddling:

-Adirondack Canoe Classic - 90 Miler Race

Kids Challenges:

-Kids on the Trail
-Hikes4tykes

Other Miscellaneous stuff:

-The Shepherd's Tooth has a special Patch
-I'm calling it now, you watch, airplane crash challenge.
-The USGS has a survey marker patch.
-Black Fly Challenge
-Marcy is part of the State High Point Challenge
-North Country 100
-Trans Adirondack Route
-Long Path

There is Probably a whole myriad of unknowns like low level municipal and club challenges. I wouldn't be surprised there is red lining going on and elite hiker challenges behind the scenes.

There are multiple levels of elite bushwhack hiking going on. The 100 highest is the well-known one, but it gets much deeper than that. If you hadn't noticed on these forums there are certain mountains that are targeted. Some are given names based on ponds near them. They are obscure mountains in places like the West Canada Lake Wilderness, Blue Mountain area, Siamese Ponds Wilderness, and Hoffman Notch Area. This is because people are expanding further on the bushwhack peaks down to all 3000 footers using New England criteria. Also, there is someone who is attempting to climbing all peaks in the blue line. So, the peak bagging gets deeper and deeper and crazier.

The Catskills have their own challenges. You can start with the 35 then graduate to the 102. There is a devil's path traverse.

There is overlap with New England. To start you have the New England 111 or 115. The 115 is an updated list from the traditional. New York is included. Then it gets even Crazier, much crazier. Some of these lifelong peak baggers have done more climbs then there are days in a dozen years perhaps a score.

I have been studying the west. We have people doing incredible feats here, but trust me it gets interesting over there too. Colorado has 58 fourteen thousand footers called the 14er challenge. It has many levels below it. You can just go all out OCD with that state. There are people crossing the Grand Canyon twice in one run. It's called the Rim to Rim to Rim. That is greater than our Great Range Traverse. There are also people attempting Gannett peak in a day. That is the Wind River Range in Wyoming. To put it in perspective it's ~25 miles one way from both sides of the range. Allen, Emmons, Haystack, Rocky Peak Ridge (from New Russia), are nothing compared to what's out there. It has been said the Adirondacks, however, are more difficult to traverse due to thick vegetation and eroded trails.

Last edited by Lonehiker; 07-07-2019 at 07:28 PM..
Old 07-07-2019, 03:41 PM   #6
Wldrns

Along with the 90 mile canoe classic is the Cannonball-90. Paddle the original full 90 mile route (Old Forge to Saranac Lake) all within a single day (about 18-19 hours). Start at midnight, finish in daylight. No outside carry support, no end of day transport as there is in the official race. Total carries = 10 miles. Not an official race, just do it for the challenge.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:13 PM   #7
Lonehiker

I just got into paddling. My friends and I don't know how you do it. We hurt like hell after spending 3 hours paddling 8 miles.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:27 PM   #8
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonehiker View Post
I just got into paddling. My friends and I don't know how you do it. We hurt like hell after spending 3 hours paddling 8 miles.
it is all in the technique along with conditioning. What hurts? if it is your arms, then you are most certainly doing it wrong. You need to incorporate your strong long lasting back and torso muscles. Arms are only linkages and shouldn't flex very much. I get tired, but can't say I was particularly sore or hurt anywhere. Try the Yukon 1000 mile race, where we paddle for exactly 18 hours a day (the rules allowed daily maximum) for a week straight. Tiring, with lack of sleep, but not hurtful.

Photo of us entering Raquette Lake from Brown's Tract at 0500 AM last Monday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5929.jpg (78.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5932.jpg (76.7 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5933.jpg (89.9 KB, 59 views)
Old 07-07-2019, 04:41 PM   #9
Lonehiker

I had introductory instruction 8 years ago. I started again in just the past few weeks on both kayak and canoe without instruction. The first trip was on the Kayak for 8 miles. The canoe trip was 4 miles the following week. I hurt in my arms after the kayak trip. I must be doing a multitude of things wrong and I'm not in shape. At least I was able to travel possibly while people are thinking, look at that newbie. Just like when people here see ignorant guys hiking Marcy without provisions in the winter.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:10 PM   #10
Lonehiker

There is a Brewery/hiking challenge for every state. https://viewsandbrews.com/.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:24 PM   #11
TrailBlaser

If you have a footbrace, make sure it is properly positioned. It will help you use your leg muscles when paddling.