Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-26-2015, 11:48 PM   #1
Amart
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 81
Ice Fishing Lake George and Piseco Lake

This winter has been great to us already we have had some successful outings on two of our favorite laker lakes. Piseco Lake and Lake George are beautiful and boast excellent populations of Lake Trout! Here are some videos of the actions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlS7KjkVW2s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9btPHLy5Wo
Amart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:43 PM   #2
EagleCrag
Member
 
EagleCrag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Gloversville, NY
Posts: 1,253
Nice vids Amart. Looks like you've been having lots of luck this year. The lakers from Piseco look pretty dark colored. What were you using for bait? Are there smelt in there too? What about cisco or whitefish? PM me if you prefer.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:46 PM   #3
wildbrookies
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,465
Amart,
Very nice laker action you caught on video!! Was that a big rainbow you pulled out in the first video ? It was the last fish caught at the end of the video.

Went to Indian Lake last friday and got skunked on trout of any kind. Had perch around me most of the morning,had 5 flags ,a few perch and no smelt showed on the fish finder ,in which was odd for this spot. Anyway, might try a different spot on Indian soon. Thanks for sharing your success on the ice ! Makes me want to give it another go soon.

Btw, EC, how have you been doing on the hard water this winter?

WB
__________________
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:02 PM   #4
Amart
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleCrag View Post
Nice vids Amart. Looks like you've been having lots of luck this year. The lakers from Piseco look pretty dark colored. What were you using for bait? Are there smelt in there too? What about cisco or whitefish? PM me if you prefer.
Thanks! We have had a pretty good year so far it's always nice to get out on the ice. The Piseco lakers are some kind of darker and thinner strain then the ones in Lake George. The ones that people catch out of Schroon Lake seem to be from the same strain. We use a bait that is referred to as a 'hunt' the actual name is the 'Eastern Silvery Minnow'. There are smelt and whitefish in Piseco in fact it used to boast a great whitefish population according to some locals I have talked with. The whitefish now aren't so common and you have to chum for them in order to hook into one.
Amart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:05 PM   #5
Amart
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbrookies View Post
Amart,
Very nice laker action you caught on video!! Was that a big rainbow you pulled out in the first video ? It was the last fish caught at the end of the video.

Went to Indian Lake last friday and got skunked on trout of any kind. Had perch around me most of the morning,had 5 flags ,a few perch and no smelt showed on the fish finder ,in which was odd for this spot. Anyway, might try a different spot on Indian soon. Thanks for sharing your success on the ice ! Makes me want to give it another go soon.

Btw, EC, how have you been doing on the hard water this winter?

WB
Thanks so much! No the last fish from the Piseco video was another laker it was just especially dark it was a beautiful fish. Good luck out on the ice!
Amart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:18 PM   #6
EagleCrag
Member
 
EagleCrag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Gloversville, NY
Posts: 1,253
WB:

My wife has had some health issues which have prevented me from getting out much, but she's on the mend now. Thus, I've only been out once, to Schroon and got skunked. My friend caught one laker about legal size but it went back down the hole. I just ordered a new Nils auger, so will be anxious to try it out.

Amart:

I wonder if the smelt have been in Piseco long term or if they are a fairly recent addition. It is my understanding that when smelt are introduced to a water body that has whitefish the smelt tend to reduce the whitefish population. Lake George seems to be on fire now, but Piseco is much closer to me. Hopefully I'll be able to get some time on both before the hardwater season is over.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:57 PM   #7
Amart
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleCrag View Post
WB:

My wife has had some health issues which have prevented me from getting out much, but she's on the mend now. Thus, I've only been out once, to Schroon and got skunked. My friend caught one laker about legal size but it went back down the hole. I just ordered a new Nils auger, so will be anxious to try it out.

Amart:

I wonder if the smelt have been in Piseco long term or if they are a fairly recent addition. It is my understanding that when smelt are introduced to a water body that has whitefish the smelt tend to reduce the whitefish population. Lake George seems to be on fire now, but Piseco is much closer to me. Hopefully I'll be able to get some time on both before the hardwater season is over.
I am not sure if the smelts are a recent addition to Piseco Lake. Piseco is also suppose to have pretty good salmon fishing and we did get a couple of flags on our salmon traps but they ran and dropped the bait. I love fishing both lakes but in terms of numbers I find Piseco to be better it is just hard to get a really big laker like you can out of Lake George. Hopefully you will get out there and hook into some nice togue this season!
Amart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

DISCLAIMER: Use of these forums, and information found herein, is at your own risk. Use of this site by members and non-members alike is only granted by the adkhighpeak.com administration provided the terms and conditions found in the FULL DISCLAIMER have been read. Continued use of this site implies that you have read, understood and agree to the terms and conditions of this site. Any questions can be directed to the Administrator of this site.