Montain Lion Pics From Hornell, NY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montain Lion Pics From Hornell, NY

I got these pictures from a guy I work with. They were taken at a camp near Hornell, NY. The DEC came out to investigate the sighting and how could they hide anything with these pictures. Enjoy the pictures I know I did.

Kitty does not look happy.

Comment

Awesome shots!
      Keep the young'uns indoors in Hornell...

Comment

I wonder about the transient dog and cat population in the Hornell area now??
        Rick
        The measure of your ignorance is your belief in tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the universe, the master calls the butterfly...
        ...unknown...

Comment

Nice pics Seth! Those pics were taken pretty much in Mine and Seth's backyard. There have also been sightings in PA where we live in the PA Grand Canyon!

Comment

Not much question as to the species and I'm fairly sure that, once the photo is varified and the location confirmed, I'd say thats a slam dunk "CLASS I" confirmation of a cougar in NY (we've had NO class I confirmations in NY).

Great shots, but any investigator looking into this would have to validate the photo location (i.e. see the location is actually in Hornell, NY) Otherwise it could just be a pretty kitty picture taken in CO or something where cougars stroll by houses all the time. My interest is piqued for sure.

Contact me (PM) if your POSITIVE of the photo location and perhaps we can get someone "to validate" the sighting. When was it taken, and I'm REAL suprised I'd not read about it before?
            Last edited by Mavs00; 03-10-2005, 11:20 AM.
            "I can feel your anger. It gives you focus. It makes you stronger. " Supreme Chancellor

Comment

The guy that I work with said he is positive the pictures are valid. He knows the people that took the pictures. The e-mail I got with the pictures said the following.

"This is NO joke. I personally know the person who took these photos.
              Edna Kriner Kirby was at the hunting camp in Hornell NY the weekend of
              Jan 24, the weekend we had the big snowstorm. She has cats and noticed
              something had been cleaning out all the food on the deck and in the storage shed. Very Big Cat. That sunday a rep from the DEC confirmed it was a Cougar.
              He said there is at least10 cougars living between Hornell, Corning NY
              to Wellsboro PA. Each animal can roam a 100sq mile area and usually stay
              clear of human activity, but in the winter easy food will attract them. He
              noted this is VERY rare to have one at your door and stay there for 3 photos.
              This animal may be a problem one , he said. He also estimated the animal is
              over 100lbs. Also the local radio and tv news didn't seem to care much about this
              story or the photos. I guess they don't want to cause a scare in that area.
              Watch your back if you have a camp or cottage in that area."

Comment

Yikes. I will never hike alone in the woods again after dark! Sdg75, does Edna know what caused the critter to snarl, as in the -4 image?

SB
                If you can dream -- and not make dreams your master,
                If you can think--and not make thoughts your aim,
                If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
                And treat those two impostors just the same...

Rudyard Kipling

Comment

What's really scary is the only thing between that poor lady and that cat is a couple of panes of glass. I am sure she had a horrible time sleeping that night.

I have been reading where they've attacked lone hikers, walkers or bike riders out west. sounds like they are definitely something to start thinking about.
                  We have a summer place in Hammondsport, which is only about 25 miles (ATCF) from Hornell, so it hits close to home for me.
                  Rick
                  The measure of your ignorance is your belief in tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the universe, the master calls the butterfly...
                  ...unknown...

Comment

i think it's beautiful.
                    Fly Fisher's Anglers Association- a fine drinking club with a fishing problem
                    www.GoFlyFish.org

Comment

I think it's beautiful too. However, if your kid gets eaten by kitty, you might have second thoughts.

SB
                      If you can dream -- and not make dreams your master,
                      If you can think--and not make thoughts your aim,
                      If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
                      And treat those two impostors just the same...

Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Wow...sounds like it's time for them to stop feeding their cats on the deck and storing food in their shed.

Comment

Is this really for real??!!
                          Adirondack Base Camp
                          Adirondack Trailhead

Comment

Originally posted by sdg75
                            The guy that I work with said he is positive the pictures are valid. He knows the people that took the pictures. The e-mail I got with the pictures said the following.

"This is NO joke......... Watch your back if you have a camp or cottage in that area."
                            Sadley there are tons of these type e-mails out there. I don't doubt your story at all and verification would be pretty simple and would only entail someone physically going to the location and verifying that the images captured (other than the cougar) correspond with an actual home/camp in the Hornell area.

Simple enough, if its true. But, I always get a little wary with this stuff, a few years ago the was this internet hoax photo going around with a Timber wolf that was killed in Parma NY (near Rochester). Turns out, the photo was in fact a timber wolf, but it was killed and captured in N. Minnesota, not western NY. Before that it was a HUGE Bear internet hoax and so on and so forth.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if this was real and that the photo is authentic, as it would mean NY will have its first confirmed cougar in a long time. Given my understanding of cougars, which admittedly only comes from reading a few titles on N. American predators, I would doupt VERY SERIOUSLY that the Hornell area has a stable population (which 10 adults would imply) and this photo is the only evidence for it. With that many animals in that populated a area (all things considered), there would be so many human/cougar interactions (i.e. lost pets, cattle predation, sightings, etc.). Your talking a huge predator with large home ranges in a reasonalbly small populated area (compared to their typical ranges out west anyway). I just can't see it. Isolated pockets of individuals perhaps, but not a healthy stable breeding population.

--------------

Check out "Beast in the Garden" its a book about cougar/human interaction and wildlife managment gone awry. Very though provoking. btw, this type of incident happens ALL THE TIME out west in places with healthy cat populations, like the front range in CO, and the High Sierra's in CA. People even get kilt too on occasion
                            Last edited by Mavs00; 03-10-2005, 03:56 PM.
                            "I can feel your anger. It gives you focus. It makes you stronger. " Supreme Chancellor

Comment

Originally posted by starbaby
                              I think it's beautiful too. However, if your kid gets eaten by kitty, you might have second thoughts.

SB

she has the potential to kill your children, too (and she's of a much more unpredictable species)

my point is just b/c something has the potential to kill you, doesn't take away from it's beauty.
                              Fly Fisher's Anglers Association- a fine drinking club with a fishing problem
                              www.GoFlyFish.org

Comment

Working...
                              X