Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One chance.......

Okay, here's the deal.

You have one (and just one) opportunity to go back anywhere in the past 500 years and change just one thing to alter the course of environmental impact.

It can have nothing to do with regulation, politics, laws, etc.

When, where and what would it be?

Be serious, here's your chance to save the planet. Don't blow it!!

Hawk
    "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Let the beavers run the dams, and put a stop to the damn hydroelectrics.

Comment

pigeons can leave ''marks'' in the city streets.The plan to ''eliminate'' them was a plan Venice derived up.Birth control pills. -A nurse I work with.

But,RH is talking about ''saving the Planet''
      I would keep the motors out of boats and say''Row,and get exercise''
      Of course,there are Regs. on this matter of pollution. what a gr8 question looncry

Comment

Environmentally speaking, I guess it would be to smash the prototype for the internal combustion engine... hopefully someone could have then come through with a cleaner alternative
        "Ahh! The old fishing hole... so peaceful and relaxing. Doesn't even matter if I catch a single fish -- ah! Come on you stupid fish, take the bait! Don't make me come down there!" -Homer Simpson

Comment

Sure, you lay the huge question out there, and then hamstring us by limiting the response to just 500 years ago.
          Otherwise, I would pick Hippocrates or Columbus to have never lived. Hippocrates laid the ground work for modern medicine, resulting in a proliferation of this cancer called mankind (I know, I'm one of the cells, too).
          Or Columbus, had he never brought the "new world" to light, maybe the Native Americans could have had more time to organize against the onslaught of the Europeans...
          But no, those are outside the limits of this question.
          Then, I still can't choose....either Lenoir, Daimler or Benz, if one of those guys would never had invented/perfected internal combustion engines, the world would be a cleaner place.

Comment

Industrial whaling, starting in the 1700s, and, by extension, today's "factory" fishing ships, drifter nets, vacuum trawlers and all their cursed, greedy ilk...
            Goodbye forever, noble Northern Cod.
            "The trouble with normal is it always get worse."
            Bruce Cockburn

Comment

Originally posted by stripperguy View Post
              resulting in a proliferation of this cancer called mankind (I know, I'm one of the cells, too).
              Hmm - sounds like something Agent Smith said to Morpheus.

A couple of things spring to mind:

Wright Brothers...cars are bad, but air travel is worser.

Rather than displace and devalue the Native Americans during western expansion, how about learning from them how to be a better steward?
              “Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada

Comment

I would wish for there to have never been oil underground for people to discover & find uses for. If that could be, progress & all that comes with it would have slowed down big time. Is it true that oil is really leftovers from dinosaurs? I'm skeptical on that theory. But I'm not a scientist so who knows? My vote is no oil & all the bad things associated with it.

Comment

My choice would have been that somehow, petroleum would have thought to be poisonous and never developed as a fossil fuel. That would have eliminated many of the things that followed, internal combustion engine, styrofoam, etc. etc.

We can imagine that alternate energy would have developed, wind, solar, geo, hydro, etc and that when someone finally figured out that petroleum could be used as a fuel, the energy companies would probably have said that it was too expensive to extract from the ground, there wasn't enough of it to be practical.

It was a close choice for me. the other "world altering event" would have been some catastrophic event, like an outbreak of some disease that reduced the human population to about 25% of what it is. Consumption is the second biggest problem that mankind causes in My Opinion.

Hopefully more people will weigh in on this topic with their ideas.

Hawk
                  "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

Without a doubt...

I would say that Styrofoam would NEVER be discovered.

On so many levels this stuff is toxic.

Ya think I'm kidding? Read a little bit about it here: Styrofoam

~ZZ

(Click on Greeneyezz)

"The soul that can speak through the eyes, can also kiss with a gaze."
                    ~Gustav Adolfo Becquer

Comment

introduce birth control, as early as possible.
                      That plan might also necessitate the dismantling or overthrow of the Roman Catholic Church. I'll allow Monty Python to explain.
                      Subscribe to the Official Monty Python Channel here - http://smarturl.it/SubscribeToPythonEvery Sperm is Sacred scene, taken from Monty Python's The Meaning ...

Last edited by Hobbitling; 05-16-2010, 11:08 AM.
                      He found himself wondering at times, especially in the autumn, about the wild lands, and strange visions of mountains that he had never seen came into his dreams.

Comment

I'd shoot the inventor of the gun. Swiz
                        Square Peg, Round Hole, Big Hammer!!

Comment

sink the mayflower.

Comment

The first cars were electric, if we could have stayed with that technology that would be good.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbitling View Post
                              introduce birth control, as early as possible.
                              That plan might also necessitate the dismantling or overthrow of the Roman Catholic Church. I'll allow Monty Python to explain.
                              Subscribe to the Official Monty Python Channel here - http://smarturl.it/SubscribeToPythonEvery Sperm is Sacred scene, taken from Monty Python's The Meaning ...

looncry and coworkers.

Comment

Working...
                              X