Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What books to read about the history of the Five Ponds/Cranberry Lake/Lows Lake Area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What books to read about the history of the Five Ponds/Cranberry Lake/Lows Lake Area?

Are there any good books about the history of the area surrounding Five Ponds/High Falls/Cranberry Lake/Lows Lake? I already have Phil Brown's collection of Bob Marshalls writings.

The West Canada Lakes have Adirondack French Louie, Lumberjack Sky Pilot, and Donald Wharton's books, and the Western High Peaks have Life With Noah, all excellent books about the history of their respective regions.

Are there any similar books about the areas I mentioned above?

Thanks!

Two books on Logging History in the Adks might be worth looking into.

Jacks, Jobbers & Kings" by Peter C. Welsh has some history of the Wanakena area in there including the Rich Lumber Company and the Ranger School.

"The Great Forest of the Adirondacks" by Barbara McMartin has some too, I believe.

Both are really good books that I've read several times but haven't touched for a couple of years so I don't remember how much info of your areas of interest is contained in them. I assume you went to Smitty's for forestry though so you'll like them reguardless.

I've been wanting to read "My Grampas Woods". I think that covers mostly the Croghan area.

I'll be watching this thread for some new reads.

Gregg

Comment

Time for you to write one....you're an excellent writer, and know an awful lot about the area (maybe not this area, but enough to get started on researching a book)
      “Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada

Comment

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post
        Are there any good books about the history of the area surrounding Five Ponds/High Falls/Cranberry Lake/Lows Lake? I already have Phil Brown's collection of Bob Marshalls writings.

The West Canada Lakes have Adirondack French Louie, Lumberjack Sky Pilot, and Donald Wharton's books, and the Western High Peaks have Life With Noah, all excellent books about the history of their respective regions.

Are there any similar books about the areas I mentioned above?

Thanks!
        If you really want to know about Lows estate, the Adirondack Museum has an extensive collection of documents, which are not on public display. But if you check with Hallie Bond, the curator, you may get permission to view them. There is considerable history on Lows varied business ventures. There are many artifacts and building foundation remains back in the woods that you would never see near the canoe carry. Did you know that Low was ahead of is time to bottle and sell natural spring water? He invented the square bottle because it packed and shipped better. You can still see the cistern of absolutely clear water that he drew from.
        "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

"Man of the Woods" by Herbert Keith is an excellent book about the Five Ponds Wilderness and history of the Oswegetchie River in particular. I beleive it is out of print. I got mine from the Wanakena General Store about 5years ago.
          "The trail is what it is. If it goes up, over, under -- there is the choice to follow it or not. As for weather, it will be what it will be. One cannot choose conditions, only to hike or not to hike." AT Thru-Hiker

Comment

Man of the Woods book

Originally posted by forevrwyld View Post
            "Man of the Woods" by Herbert Keith is an excellent book about the Five Ponds Wilderness and history of the Oswegetchie River in particular. I beleive it is out of print. I got mine from the Wanakena General Store about 5years ago.

Yup: this book has the dirt on the Oswegetchie. Or least that part of the River above Wanakena. Its been out of print for years. I still see it in used bookstores. In it are curious tales of the Pancake King, the Seven Sisters and Carter's magic fish box. Also related is someone's evil joke of removing thirty pounds of food from a hiker's pack basket and substituting a railroad coupling of similar weight. You just know that jester is now burning in Hades.

Comment

You might try Cranberry Lake from Wilderness to Adirondack Park,Albert Fowler, Editor, published by The Adirondack Museum/Syracuse University Press, 1968. It is a collection of essays and first hand accounts, arranged in chronlogical order, covering from 1845 to 1967. Perhaps out of print now, but I'm sure readily available on inter-library loan. Many photos & maps.

P.S. I really enjoyed your recent and excellent TRs on your trips through that area. The photos were great and brought back many fond memories of paddling, hiking, and snowshoeing the neighborhood with two of my brothers, both of whom went to the Ranger School in the 70s.

Comment

Originally posted by forevrwyld View Post
                I also read this book, I thought it was a very good first hand account of life in that region. I got it through the library system. Even though it is out of print, many of the librarys around the capital region had it available. Before I went the library route, I also checked online, and used books were going for $50 - $75.00!
                - Kevin

Comment

Another older one with stories about Cranberry Lake and the surrounding area is

"Adirondack Snow Flurries" by Jim Burnett

A lot of stories about early snow mobile use before the area became motor-less, they really did get around.

Halstead Publishing Co.,Inc.
                  Box 617
                  Cranberry Lake,NY,12927

I don't know if that address will get you anything, it is from 1987 after all. But like the man said, the library might have it.

I checked in town, the CL Library has 3 copies.
                  Last edited by chairrock; 07-09-2010, 03:48 PM.
                  Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
                  Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

Originally posted by Biji View Post
                    You might try Cranberry Lake from Wilderness to Adirondack Park,Albert Fowler, Editor, published by The Adirondack Museum/Syracuse University Press, 1968. It is a collection of essays and first hand accounts, arranged in chronlogical order, covering from 1845 to 1967. Perhaps out of print now, but I'm sure readily available on inter-library loan. Many photos & maps.

P.S. I really enjoyed your recent and excellent TRs on your trips through that area. The photos were great and brought back many fond memories of paddling, hiking, and snowshoeing the neighborhood with two of my brothers, both of whom went to the Ranger School in the 70s.
                    FYI< Fowler was one of the relations of Judge Irving Vann from Syracuse, first owner of Buck Island, Cranberry Lake.
                    The extended family still owns the island.

Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

Originally posted by Wldrns View Post
                      If you really want to know about Lows estate, the Adirondack Museum has an extensive collection of documents, which are not on public display. But if you check with Hallie Bond, the curator, you may get permission to view them. There is considerable history on Lows varied business ventures. There are many artifacts and building foundation remains back in the woods that you would never see near the canoe carry. Did you know that Low was ahead of is time to bottle and sell natural spring water? He invented the square bottle because it packed and shipped better. You can still see the cistern of absolutely clear water that he drew from.
                      He tried a lot of things that never really panned out( he had the money to experiment). Very interesting history.

Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

Working...
                      X