Your furthest distance sighted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your furthest distance sighted?

One of my hobbyhorses: what is the furthest discernible landform you've seen from within the Blue Line? My greatest distance would be Whiteface from Tooley Pond Mountain (Just a hillock really, under 2k feet, northwest of Cranberry Lake) to Whiteface. An even fifty miles by 'The Adirondack North County Regional Map' Cts? Airborne vantage points n/a.

Many years ago on a very clear day on Nippletop, I think I sighted Greylock. That would be about 70 miles. I can't be sure it was Greylock, but it was in the right place, and I could clearly identify the closer line of the East side Lake George (Buck, Black, etc) and the much farther away Taconics (Equinox, etc.). The mountain I saw was farther away yet again, and South of the Taconics, so it's reasonable that it was Greylock.

Isn't it said that Mount Washngton can be seen from Marcy if it's clear enough? I've never seen it...the curvature of the earth would allow it, barely...

Comment

One time on top of Whiteface I could see the sun reflecting off something far away.I used my 20 power binoculars to see that it was skyscrapers in Montreal.A worker at the top told me Montreal was 90 miles away.I've had other clear days when I've been up there but could not see the buildings again.

Comment

Originally posted by rollinslover64 View Post
        One time on top of Whiteface I could see the sun reflecting off something far away.I used my 20 power binoculars to see that it was skyscrapers in Montreal.A worker at the top told me Montreal was 90 miles away.I've had other clear days when I've been up there but could not see the buildings again.
        [SIZE="4"]The southernmost point of the Island of Montreal is 74 miles from Whiteface according to WikiMapia's measuring tool. 80 miles to the City's centre. Still, a damn impressive distance.
        [/SIZE]

Comment

I have seen Montreal from Whiteface as well.

Dont remember what I saw from Marcy ..we stayed about a nanosecond as a lightning storm roared in.

We often see 150 miles from the top of Washington with favorable (cold) atmospheric conditions. We can certainly see some of the eastern ADK peaks from the summit.

The Atlantic Ocean (70 miles by crow) is right at hand it seems

Here is a fun little blurb written by a summit intern about visibility looking IN to the Adirondacks from the outside.

Comment

Once on a mountain I had my life flash before my eyes and in my case that was a good long distance view, especially the early years.

Comment

On most any clear summer night I can see M31, the Andromeda Galaxy without any optical aid. It is 2.52 million light-years away. That would be 14,814,135,940,422,693,000 miles. But it is approaching us ever closer.
              "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by Wldrns View Post
                On most any clear summer night I can see M31, the Andromeda Galaxy without any optical aid. It is 2.52 million light-years away. That would be 14,814,135,940,422,693,000 miles. But it is approaching us ever closer.

My Acme Sarcasm meter calibrates your ct at a 8.5

Comment

I have seen Montreal from Whiteface. Because eastern Ontario is flat as a pancake if you get a bit of elevation you can see the Adirondacks from a long long way. Lyon Mountain is very visible and can be seen very far off and is so recognizable because of it has a very distinctive shape. Coming out of the Adirondacks in the north at St Regis Falls you can see the Gatineau Hills across the Ottawa River in Quebec. It must be 80-100 miles away.
                  Izaak Walton a great writer? He can't even spell COMPLETE.

Comment

Working...
                  X