Montain Lion Pics From Hornell, NY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eastern Puma View Post
    That's a great photo. When & where was it taken?
    I don't know when. I was told it was taken near Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming.

Comment

The 1973 Endangered Species Act provided for the conservation of ecosystems upon which threatened and endangered species of fish, wildlife, and plants depend, both through Federal action and by encouraging the establishment of State programs. The Act:

authorizes the determination and listing of species as endangered and threatened;

prohibits unauthorized taking, possession, sale, and transport of endangered species;

provides authority to acquire land for the conservation of listed species, using land and water conservation funds;

authorizes establishment of cooperative agreements and grants-in-aid to States that establish and maintain active and adequate programs for endangered and threatened wildlife and plants;

authorizes the assessment of civil and criminal penalties for violating the Act or regulations

This means that the government would have the right to take large sections of land and set it aside for the sole propuse of the endangered species thus prohibit the use entirely. Hiking hunting fishing etc.

Comment

Originally posted by adkman12986 View Post
        This means that the government would have the right to take large sections of land and set it aside for the sole propuse of the endangered species thus prohibit the use entirely. Hiking hunting fishing etc.
        If the Florida panther situation is any indication, nothing has stopped virtually unrestricted development into the habitat of what is considered by the USFWS to be one of the most imperiled populations of big predators in the world.

Nothing.

Comment

In case you haven't noticed this is New York not Florida. New York has the tendancy to go to the extremes on everything except spending

Comment

The Daks and Catskills have "forever wild" charters inside the blue lines. But don't worry, the DEC will be dragged kicking and screaming into cougar reintros by the feds. Should the day come when this does happen, there will strict protocols and management zones both in and outside the blues lines, as well as guidelines for dealing with any potential problems with pets, livestock and people, much like CA has for its cats, and NJ does for its bears. Depending on the nature of the incident with respect to the guidelines, a cat will either be allowed to escape on its own (treed, say, wandering into a residential area), captured and relocated, or euthanized if implicated in any kind of unwanted predation.

No habitat will be set aside or off limits to development or recreation that aren't already protected.

Bank on it.

Comment

Not another Mtn Lion post!

Consider this: there's an itty bitty population of Panthers in the Everglades, roughly 35. Just two major highways crosses this sea of grass. Despite their near-lightning quickness, one of these felines still manages to become road kill each yr.
              Hence, I would think that at some point in the last dozen or so years three criteria would be met: 1.) An ADK-based catamount would become road-kill 2.) Be competently photographed to the extent that its location was arguably within the Blue Line 3.) Be viewed in situ by a minimum of four sober witnesses.

No pickle so far.

And while we're talking about mtn lion conspiracies... I am amazed at the demonizing that goes on here regarding the DEC. If I was an employee of said organization, I'd throw up my hands in despair over some of the wing nut cts that have been made here.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderball View Post

And while we're talking about mtn lion conspiracies... I am amazed at the demonizing that goes on here regarding the DEC. If I was an employee of said organization, I'd throw up my hands in despair over some of the wing nut cts that have been made here.
                The DEC uses the mountain lion sightings to keep people from focusing on the wilderness areas that are closed to the public because the DEC is hiding evidence of space aliens in those closed areas.

when people start getting nosy about the closed areas the DEC lets one or two of its trained captive mountain lions run loose for a night or two so that there will be reported sighting of mountain lions in the news and people get distracted from the closed wilderness areas in which the DEC keeps some of the captured space aliens.

Comment

Does anyone have a copy of the original picture in the first post of this thread?

Comment

Since timetohike ruined the surprise of the alien mountain lions for everyone hopefully these threads will stop for good.

Comment

• There are three of them, taken on a porch in Laramie, Wyoming in 2004. One of them is here - http://www.easterncougar.org/pages/a...erncougars.htm - under HOAXES, labeled WYOMING.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eastern Puma View Post
                        There are three of them, taken on a porch in Laramie, Wyoming in 2004. One of them is here - http://www.easterncougar.org/pages/a...erncougars.htm - under HOAXES, labeled WYOMING.
                        Thanks, I figured it was probably one of these famous "mislabled" pictures.

At work, we sometimes get questions about Mountain Lions in NY... we have all those pictures as well as where they were actually taken in a binder to show to people who receive hoax emails with the pictures, reporting the pictures as having been taken in NY.

Comment

Working...
                        X