Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2015, 11:08 PM   #1
LaRocqueOShaughnessy
Shoelace Express

Question Short Hikes

I've got a question. My girlfriend's sister has spastic paraplegia. She can walk but it is difficult for her and can't do it for extended periods of time. She does enjoy getting out and loves nature. I was just curious if there were any places we could camp and involved a light hike that would be suitable for a person with her condition.

I always feel bad because she always seems interested but really can't do it. So, any suggestions would be great. And ideally something "primitive." I'm not really looking for a place you drive your car up to and boom. You're there.

Rankin Pond is my first though because its a short hike and I think she could do it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you guys have.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:43 AM   #2
Herkimite

Start by going to dec.ny.gov and look at Outdoor Activities, Accessible Recreation. You should be able to find something suitable. There's a lot listed.
Herkimite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:51 AM   #3
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

There is (or was last time I was there) a wheelchair accessible campsite at Mitchell Ponds in the Moose River Plains. The trail is an old logging road that has been graded and graveled but it is 2 miles or so from the trailhead. I am not familiar with the condition you mentioned so I am wondering if shortness or flatness/smoothness is more important. There are some spots I can think of that are under a mile from the road but the trail is steep.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 01:26 PM   #4
bbowen
Moose Photographer

What's your definition of short?
bbowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:29 PM   #5
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

How about Dillon Park on Grampus Lake?
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:36 PM   #6
dockless

The request is, to me, a bit ambiguous.... how to combine primitive with a physical handicap. That's going to be a challenge for you and may need a bit more specific info regarding her capabilities and your camping interests for anyone to help you.

Is this the type of area she needs? http://www.johndillonpark.org/

It's near Buck Pond campground, which itself has an easy, short, level hike along the old RR bed along the lake.

Actually, most of the DEC campgrounds have trails near them. Lake Durant has the NPT trail going through it..... with a "short" circle trip going from one campsite to the sign in station and back to a different campsite. Mostly fairly even ground, but would have uneven and slippery footing especially when wet (leaves, roots) that could be challenging for her.
dockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:38 PM   #7
Justin
Moving along

You may also want to check out The Hudson River Special Management Area, also known as "Buttermilk" north of the town of Lake Luzerne. There are over 18 designated campsites all located within a short distance of their respected parking areas, with lots of short easy hikes nearby including Schofield Flats, Pike's Point Beach, Darlings Ford, the Bear Slides, and much more along Buttermilk Road Extension & Gay Pond Road.
Much more info on this area in the recently updated edition of Discover the Southern Adirondacks.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:09 PM   #8
peskypup

There's an accessible campsite near the start of the trail to Helldiver Pond in Moose River Plains. It's at the end of a short stub road off Limekiln Lake-Cedar River Rd, so although it's drive-up, it's set away from the "main" road. The trail to Helldiver Pond is compacted gravel and I'm pretty sure it's under a half mile to the pond, where there's a small dock/platform overlooking the pond.
peskypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:08 PM   #9
Justin
Moving along

Speaking of "Short Hikes", Phil Brown has a new guidebook out...

http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:30 AM   #10
snapper
snapper

I know you've mentioned hiking but have you ever thought about canoeing? It may be easier for her to be in a canoe and then do short hikes from the selected site. Just a suggestion. Take it for what it's worth.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:36 AM   #11
MTVhike

The ADK has an accessible trail at their Loj property. It is the start of the Indian Pass trail, so one could continue as far as one could. It is easily reachable from their "Wilderness Campground".
MTVhike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:36 AM   #12
cflb56

I recommend Holmes Lake in the southern Adirondacks, it's just north of the town of Caroga Lake. It's a mostly flat 1 mile hike. Good Luck Lake is also a short hike from the parking area, less than a mile, and it's an easy paddle into a nice remote feeling place.
cflb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 04:35 PM   #13
Hard Scrabble

How about Mt. Jo. near the lodge?
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote