Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2016, 06:04 PM   #1
bbowen
Moose Photographer

Saranac Islands hammock sites?

Wondering if anyone has any experience hammock camping on any of the Saranac Islands?

I'd be kayaking to a site and would hate to get to one and not have the trees be in the right place!

Thanks!
bbowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:11 AM   #2
Justin
Moving along

A friend & I camped at site #3 on Eagle Island earlier this summer, and there were plenty of trees for a hammock. Then again, there is no shortage of trees in the Adirondacks, so I'd doubt that you'd have any troubles finding a spot for a hammock at any other campsite.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:36 AM   #3
ALGonquin Bob
Lake Lila - Low's Lake carry

All the sites have plenty of trees! Saranac Islands are a NYS Campground where you pay to reserve a specific site. If you camp in other areas of lake country where the sites are free, you can choose your campsite as you go.

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W
ALGonquin Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:51 AM   #4
Wldrns

I've been a hammock camper for many years. Since I tend to spend much more time bushwhacking off trail than traveling the trails, most of my nights are in remote primitive areas far from any designated campsites. I used to have to search frustratingly long and hard for even the tiniest relatively flat spot for a solo tent. Hammocking instantly relieved me of that burden, since I could set up over any wet, rough, brushy, hilly, or rocky terrain in just a couple of minutes. There are always a couple of properly spaced trees available everywhere in the wooded backcountry.

Ironically, when you take a hammock to popular designated campsites, it can be difficult to find the right spacing of moderate sized trees without going outside the boundary of the impacted zone. Many times the trees are far too large, and/or not properly spaced. Perfect for tenting, not so much for hammocking. Doing so on the impacted margins only increases the impacted area further and continues to degrade the site. Definitely not LNT.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:12 PM   #5
bbowen
Moose Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
I've been a hammock camper for many years. Since I tend to spend much more time bushwhacking off trail than traveling the trails, most of my nights are in remote primitive areas far from any designated campsites. I used to have to search frustratingly long and hard for even the tiniest relatively flat spot for a solo tent. Hammocking instantly relieved me of that burden, since I could set up over any wet, rough, brushy, hilly, or rocky terrain in just a couple of minutes. There are always a couple of properly spaced trees available everywhere in the wooded backcountry.

Ironically, when you take a hammock to popular designated campsites, it can be difficult to find the right spacing of moderate sized trees without going outside the boundary of the impacted zone. Many times the trees are far too large, and/or not properly spaced. Perfect for tenting, not so much for hammocking. Doing so on the impacted margins only increases the impacted area further and continues to degrade the site. Definitely not LNT.
This is my concern. Are the designated camp sites (little yellow disks with tent) on the islands conducive to hammocks? I'm not a rule breaker by nature so I'd hate to get to a site and not be able set up.
bbowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:17 PM   #6
montcalm
Mobster

I've actually never had an issue finding hammock spaced trees either with or without the disc pretty much anywhere in the Adirondacks. Depends on how picky you are I guess.

I can't speak for any particular site on the islands, but if you are that concerned, I'd go somewhere else or bring a tent.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:01 AM   #7
Rich Lockwood

trees

Sometimes I have to get creative to hang my hammock where I want to get a view. I have taken painters off my canoe and extended the foot end rope to reach a far tree. If you keep the head end reasonably close to a tree it works. Longer ropes also solve the big tree problem. I once cantilevered over a big dead stump to a solid tree. I also have run two angled ropes to trees out of desired line to get desired placement. A comfortable bedroom with a view is a big priority for me.
Turtle
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:11 AM   #8
charlie wilson

Relax

OP can ease up a bit. The Governor has mandated that every Adirondack campsite have three options with eleven foot spacing between trees. On the other hand, longer ropes... Oh never mind.

Alternatively, campers are welcome to sleep on roots and rocks that have been exposed via compaction and erosion over the last century
charlie wilson is offline   Reply With Quote