Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2020, 10:20 PM   #1
Camp MacFox

Boreas Ponds Access

Having read that Gulf Brook Rd was open to the Four Corners parking area, we set out today to visit the Boreas Ponds for the first time. We found Gulf Brook Rd gated shut, right at the start. Anyone know the story with that? Sadly, gave up and paddled on Schroon Lake instead, since we were in the area - pretty enough but kind of like bicycling on a highway.
Camp MacFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:03 AM   #2
Nehasane

Old news. Always look here before heading out:
https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7865.html
Nehasane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:55 AM   #3
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp MacFox View Post
Anyone know the story with that? Sadly, gave up and paddled on Schroon Lake instead, since we were in the area - pretty enough but kind of like bicycling on a highway.
There was a really big storm on Halloween last fall which created many large washouts on several backcountry roads throughout the Adirondacks, some of which still haven’t been repaired yet. Probably a good thing, Boreas Ponds could probably use a break from the swarms of people visiting there over the past couple years. Next time maybe try the Essex Chain if you’re in that area again. Seem not many people go there.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:12 AM   #4
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Plans are to replace some of the blown culverts on the road with proper bridges (which tend to be more storm resistant in addition to being more environmentally friendly). It's going to take some time to undertake that work, however.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
DSettahr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:49 PM   #5
Camp MacFox

That explains it (I was guessing the road required more work). I did check the DEC website before going but did not see any road closure notification. Must have missed it. We have visited the Essex Chain before, but Schroon was on our way home to Vermont rather than a long way in the wrong direction.
Camp MacFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:00 AM   #6
MTVhike

On 7/11, we decided to look at Cheney Pond for a future day paddle. It's a tributary of the Boreas River, and the "road" to it is just west of the bridge over that river. There are many designated campsites there, including one right where the put-in to the pond is. The road is in good condition for high clearance vehicles, and it's only 1/2 mile long. There is a map at the put-in showing several other campsites on the pond, and one leanto.

Because I don't have a high clearance vehicle, I would have to wheel my 85 lb Royalex canoe down to it (I have already wheeled it to Boreas from the new PA).

As I mentioned on another thread, there's a nice new restaurant in Newcomb, where we had dinner ($$). They first opened in January, then closed for the pandemic, and just recently reopened.
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:46 AM   #7
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Cheney Pond is nice. The lean-to is in a particularly nice spot (tons of sandy beach frontage) and the campsites aren't half-bad, either. The road is a bit rough- as I understand it, the DEC is undecided on whether to maintain the road for motor vehicle access or close it entirely. But as stated, with any vehicle with moderately high clearance, it's not trouble to drive down to the launch. And for those without high clearance, plenty do park at the Blue Ridge Road end and just walk/wheel the half mile down to the pond.

The hike to Lester Flow isn't too bad either- and if you can ford the river there (if the water is low enough) there's some interesting rocky/ledgy terrain on the east side of the river. At some point, I'd like to be able to do a thru-hike from Cheney Pond all the way to Irishtown.
Old 07-16-2020, 12:47 AM   #8
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Also, FWIW- the announcement regarding the closure of the road to Boreas Ponds was only posted on the DEC website relatively recently. So it's possible that when Camp MacFox checked the DEC website, there was not announcement regarding the closure of the road.