Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2021, 02:36 PM   #21
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairrock View Post
While I don't know the age of your child, be very aware that he will be 21 years old in a flash! You must develop a plan for when that happens.
What kinds of , if necessary, programs exist to provide services when he ages out of school? You will not be there forever, is another sobering thought.. Hopefully your choices today will enable a successful independent life!
Yes, all good points.

Crazy as it sounds, they actually start planning this pretty early. We just hired a broker and will soon be developing a "life plan".

Sometimes independent life isn't possible - we don't know what the case will be, it's far too early to know. Even if independent, some people still require lots of outside support, which exists in most places. Where I live currently, a lot of that support is provided by the same places that work with young children as well.

As I said, we won't be leaving the state, so if the state continues on the trajectory it is currently in, things will be fine. If we, as a society, start to regress, then I can't say. Things weren't always the way they are now, and they could revert.

I have to imagine, given the relatively large, and increasing number of people on the spectrum, that society will progress to makes things more inclusive, or at least mutually beneficial. A government that puts healthcare and education high on its priority list is probably not a bad place to be. And as far as the United States goes, NY is pretty good in that regard.

Last edited by montcalm; 03-05-2021 at 09:57 PM..
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:29 PM   #22
Tick Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVhike View Post
Where is the worker's paradise?
Suburban Albany/Schenectady/Saratoga area.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:24 AM   #23
MTVhike

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Thanks Fish and TM.

I have a feeling that this may force us into suburban Albany. Because of my wife's retirement, we are tethered to NY, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. We would just like to be closer to the Adirondacks, if not inside or very near the blue line.
Why does your wife's retirement force you to stay in NY? I recently retired from a state job and am staying, but the only thing my retirement plan has to keep me in the state is no state income tax on my retirement income. Or, am I missing something?
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:31 AM   #24
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Why does your wife's retirement force you to stay in NY? I recently retired from a state job and am staying, but the only thing my retirement plan has to keep me in the state is no state income tax on my retirement income. Or, am I missing something?
Oh, because she's not retired yet and wants to keep working to accrue her retirement from the state.

After that, it probably doesn't matter, but I think she'll work another 15-20 years.

I'm not retired yet, but I don't have any kind of state pension. If I were to "pursue" my career, I could easily find jobs outside of NY and make a lot more money. But my wife's pension and benefits, as well as her career are more important than that. Also, I like NY.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:34 AM   #25
Wldrns

To mention another huge benefit, there is no NY income tax on federal or state pensions if you retire and live in the state. Quite surprisingly nice for a high tax state like this. I have a military pension plus a federal employee pension, and my wife has a teacher's pension. Zero state income tax. I wonder how many other states do the same?
Old 03-06-2021, 11:51 AM   #26
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
To mention another huge benefit, there is no NY income tax on federal or state pensions if you retire and live in the state. Quite surprisingly nice for a high tax state like this. I have a military pension plus a federal employee pension, and my wife has a teacher's pension. Zero state income tax. I wonder how many other states do the same?
I thought that might be the case but I wasnít sure.

I know we looked into this when our children came and we decided it would be best to invest in her pension and benefits rather than take a gamble and have me chase money - it also worked out that I have no desire to do that and she likes her career.

I like our secondary education system in this state too. We have many good schools that are very inexpensive if you are a resident. Our k-12 could use some work but it is what it is for now. Hopefully the future will see productive changes. We have great emergency and disability benefits. Some say too good. Not sure on that but glad Iím not millions in debt for a NICU and PICU experience. There are very extensive benefits for children with autism (and other disabilities). We have a large area of public land (unfortunately clustered to the east of the state). You could be upset that you have to pay taxes for this stuff or take advantage of the good and be thankful you donít need the assistance (trust me it is given for difficult situations that you donít want to go through).
Old 03-06-2021, 12:21 PM   #27
Wldrns

The other nice thing for those who are in the military and maintain NY as their "home of record" (when they first joined the military) and their duty station is outside of NY, there is no NY state income tax requirement to be paid in NY or in any other state while in uniform. I know that other states with an income tax will require state tax to be paid no matter where the service person is stationed if that state is their H.O.R. Those lucky enough to get based in no tax states can establish a home of record there (but it may require a permanent standing linkage) to escape state income tax when they leave. At least that is the way it was When I was in.
Old 03-06-2021, 01:52 PM   #28
MTVhike

Montcalm, where are you located now? And when do you plan to move?
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 06:07 PM   #29
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Montcalm, where are you located now? And when do you plan to move?
Rochester area, west of the city.

In the next couple years. But that depends on a number of factors. We won't force it if we can't make it work out, there's no urgent need to leave.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:38 PM   #30
Bunchberry

I found this and thought of you

https://apa.ny.gov/gis/_assets/SchoolDistricts.gif
Bunchberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:14 PM   #31
montcalm
Mobster

Thanks BB - I was just talking about this with my wife yesterday.