Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2016, 03:20 PM   #1
18booth

New to trout fishing

Hi everyone, last spring was the start of my trout fishing career. After pulling a few brookies out of a stream in Stillwater including a 9in, I have found my new favorite fish to chase. I live on Lake Ontario, chaumont bay, so I've spent my entire life going for smallies, panfish, and of course big walleyes. But trout fishing has been such a great alternative and of course being on the ADKs as you all know is second to none. What I'm asking is for some advice on some remote spots up in the woods I could hike up in and try. I'm asking for your honey hole but general area. Streams are my favorite but ponds are fun too. I know the favorites like pharaoh, st Regis, west Canada; but I'm looking for some spots that are less beat down. I don't mind hiking in a couple miles either. After catching my fair share of brookies last spring and summer now I'm looking to find some spots that will both brookies and Browns. Now like every true fisherman, I'm after the trophy that's lying in the waters that rarely get touched. Thanks guys.
P.S. If anyone plans a trip here to chaumont bay for walleyes it is well worth it. Average catches are 8-11lbs. Ecspecially pulling them through the ice here can be very rewarding and abundant
18booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:24 PM   #2
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18booth View Post
Now like every true fisherman, I'm after the trophy that's lying in the waters that rarely get touched.
Welcome to the forum. Any naming of ponds on a public forum will ensure they get burned. You have some general areas, and half the fun is heading out and exploring them.
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:21 PM   #3
EagleCrag

18: The best you can hope for is for someone to PM you with a suggestion or two. Brook Trout fishermen hold their productive ponds very very close hold. Your best bet is to check the DEC stocking lists, get out some maps, and start planning your trips. To find a pond that hardly gets fished is pretty tough these days, no matter how far you hike.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:28 AM   #4
RIngFly

A big part of mountain trout fishing is getting a map of the area you are going to fish and then walking . Give a good looking stream ( one with good water ) a few times out at different times of the year . My thing is wild trout so I do not use stocking info . In joy the entire experience . Get out and have fun .

may lifes simplest things bring you the greatest pleasures !!!
RIngFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:29 PM   #5
Hard Scrabble

Welcome!
I'm thinking like most others that you need to put the time in, checking stocking lists, exploring with top maps and then putting boots on the ground.
A long process, but worth it!
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:37 PM   #6
JW

Lac Des marie is my favorite
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:54 PM   #7
18booth

Thanks everyone for the replies. You guys are absolutely right you gotta explore for yourself and i do plan on downloading some top maps and hitting the woods. Im with you ringfly I love hunting for natives. Thats the most rewarding to me
18booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:22 AM   #8
gmorin71

I love poking around for little natives. i've always found it interesting how you will run into so many unique and varying coloring patterns in different tribs. i have a little 6ft 2wt that i use and its a blast
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:01 PM   #9
FlyFishingandBeer
Hikes for Tacos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18booth View Post
I'm asking for your honey hole but general area.
I think (hope) you meant to say that you're not asking for anyone's honey hole...?

There's great places to fish for trout all over the ADKS, and I agree with the members who suggest getting out and doing some exploring to find them. That being said and without getting too specific, if you're in Chaumont Bay you don't have to travel very far for some excellent trout fishing. Just be sure to keep your DEC angling book with you and check it before fishing in new areas. There's still a handful of places that are restricted to fly fishing only, and are enforced. You can also take advantage of the special angling regs on Lake Ontario tributary fishing in your neck of the woods.
FlyFishingandBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:22 PM   #10
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

Go to the Fly Swap photos thread on this list, look at the bottle on the right of those photos, buy 4 or 5 of those and take VTflyfish out to Your favorite stream, by the time those bottles are empty you MAY get info on a a couple of honey holes to fish.

John M
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote