Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2016, 11:31 PM   #21
bigfish

I agree with the "If this is was does me in then so be it" attitude.

Last edited by bigfish; 04-08-2016 at 12:08 AM..
bigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:47 PM   #22
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioSkiBum View Post
I think that link shows the answer. Here's the New York mecury levels vs meals for women and childern:

Mercury concentrations Meals/month
0.10.25 ppm 4
0.250.3 ppm 3
0.30.5 ppm 2
0.30.5 ppm 2
0.51 ppm 1
12 ppm 1 every 2 months
Above 2 ppm None

Here's the Ontario mercury levels which seem to allow eating more fish at the lower ppm levels and less at higher levels.

For women of child-bearing age and children under 15, an
advisory changes from:
32 to 16 meals per month at a mercury concentration of 0.06 parts per million (ppm),
16 to 12 meals per month at 0.12 ppm,
12 to 8 meals per month at 0.16 ppm,
8 to 4 meals per month at 0.25 ppm, while complete restriction
(i.e., do not eat) is advised for levels above 0.5 ppm.

Since it will be one or two meals tops, and comparing the differences between NYS and Ontario, I don't think I'll be too worried about letting my little guy eat a little bit of fish.

Also, for anyone interested in this topic, I highly suggest reading the Ontario guide. It is quite comprehensive and gives some insights to the common waters (Lake O, Lake E, St Lawrence).
We're at the fringe of testing for contaminates.
Parts per thousand were once thought adequate.
Then parts per million.
Now it's parts per billion.
One drop of water in an olympic swimming pool would equate to one part per billion.
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:23 PM   #23
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
We're at the fringe of testing for contaminates.
Parts per thousand were once thought adequate.
Then parts per million.
Now it's parts per billion.
One drop of water in an olympic swimming pool would equate to one part per billion.

We've had more time and better technology to analyze the affects of the myriad of chemicals we are exposed to daily. I myself wouldn't worry about eating fish but if I had a young kid I would reconsider. Mercury is bad stuff. Trouble then becomes what is safe? Antibiotic laden beef? Fruits and vegetables laden with pesticides? But I digress...
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:47 PM   #24
bigfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
We've had more time and better technology to analyze the affects of the myriad of chemicals we are exposed to daily. I myself wouldn't worry about eating fish but if I had a young kid I would reconsider. Mercury is bad stuff. Trouble then becomes what is safe? Antibiotic laden beef? Fruits and vegetables laden with pesticides? But I digress...
Agreed glen I eat a lot of wild foods not only is it extremely gratifying but has to be healthier. I don't remember the last time I bought beef. Fish and venison make up more than half of our dinners in a year. Not to mention ramps,fiddle heads, mushrooms and whatever else.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:07 PM   #25
Hard Scrabble

For crying out loud.
We're exposed to toxic gasses when we refuel our cars!
Where does it stop?
bigfish, the wild plants and animals that you consume probably contain trace amounts of the contaminates of the toxins that we're speaking of.
I say again that we've taken the capability of test equipment to the extreme.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:37 PM   #26
bigfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
For crying out loud.
We're exposed to toxic gasses when we refuel our cars!
Where does it stop?
bigfish, the wild plants and animals that you consume probably contain trace amounts of the contaminates of the toxins that we're speaking of.
I say again that we've taken the capability of test equipment to the extreme.
Jim
I wasn't disagreeing with you I'm saying eat it all.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:20 PM   #27
FlyFishingandBeer
Hikes for Tacos

They Should be but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Mmmmmm....Wallies!
I guess I did, but I think of walleye as a deeper water fish.
I do to, but I recently laid into a few of them in one of my favorite (probably former favorite now) trout holes recently. They were going nuts over one of my larger streamers.
FlyFishingandBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 03:55 PM   #28
Boreal Fox
Moss Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioSkiBum View Post
One other thing of note is that Ontario shut down all coal fired generation a few years back (coal was a significant percentage of the province's power ~20%), and thanks to our leaders Dalton and Kathleen, have priced electricity so high that the rest of our industries have either left or will be soon to leave.

At least we'll be able to eat clean fish when we no longer have jobs and can't afford groceries.

That said, with much of Ontario's emissions ending up in NY, this should bode positively for the ADK's.
If our industrial advancements are causing widespread disease and destruction of the planet and everything contained therein then they must be discarded and replaced if we aren't nihilistic and care about the future generations of all life on this planet including humans. It boggles my mind that coal was continued to be used as an energy source after it was first discovered that mercury is one of the most toxic elements in the Periodic Table.
Boreal Fox is offline   Reply With Quote