Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2016, 12:43 PM   #1
Gman
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Standing in a stream waving a stick
Posts: 1,009
Float tube fins

Last season I used the Classic Accessory fins with the open heel and single strap. I could not fit shoes inside them which meant I had to wear a pair of shoes to the pond, take them off, store them in front of the tube and then put my fins on while sitting in the tube. This was a real PITA.

This season I would like to try the step in fins that fit over your wading shoe. They look a lot more convenient.

Anyone have both or have tried both and what are the best manufacturers/models?
__________________
Izaak Walton a great writer? He can't even spell COMPLETE.
Gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:31 PM   #2
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict
 
vtflyfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West coast of New England
Posts: 2,570
I use two types. The Caddis ultralight are what I take on backpacking excursions. They work great except for extreme conditions when you'd like a little more oomph from each stroke. For that I have an expensive pair of Force Fins. These are heavier and bigger but move a lot of water.

One innovation we have made is to do away with wading shoes. Crocs or beach shoes are plenty adequate given the stiffness and support of the fins themselves. They also give your ankles much better range of motion and are infinitely more comfortable.
__________________
Oscar Wilde:Work is the curse of the drinking class
vtflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:59 PM   #3
Gman
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Standing in a stream waving a stick
Posts: 1,009
Crocs, watershoes etc. won't fit inside my fins. Also fit poorly over my wader feet. I have a high instep. The step in ones I am looking at are made by Classic Accessories and are on sale at BPS.

I find the ones I have now are very awkward to do up
__________________
Izaak Walton a great writer? He can't even spell COMPLETE.
Gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:49 PM   #4
Glen
Check please
 
Glen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Amityville, NY
Posts: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman View Post
Crocs, watershoes etc. won't fit inside my fins. Also fit poorly over my wader feet. I have a high instep. The step in ones I am looking at are made by Classic Accessories and are on sale at BPS.

I find the ones I have now are very awkward to do up

That must have developed from years of wearing high heels. Try cutting holes in the bottom of the fins for the stilettos to fit through.
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:51 PM   #5
serotonin
ember
 
serotonin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman View Post
Crocs, watershoes etc. won't fit inside my fins. Also fit poorly over my wader feet. I have a high instep. The step in ones I am looking at are made by Classic Accessories and are on sale at BPS.

I find the ones I have now are very awkward to do up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
That must have developed from years of wearing high heels. Try cutting holes in the bottom of the fins for the stilettos to fit through.
I fear that his problems are more severe, perhaps stemming from the foot-binding he had to endure as a young hermaphroditic eunuch.
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:57 PM   #6
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict
 
vtflyfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West coast of New England
Posts: 2,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
One innovation we have made is to do away with wading shoes. Crocs or beach shoes are plenty adequate given the stiffness and support of the fins themselves. They also give your ankles much better range of motion and are infinitely more comfortable.
Did I mention that Glen found a pair of bright pink crocs in size 12? He claims that the color attracts the brookies and that the matching tutu he wears provides insulating warmth on cold days. That said, most days he just stands silently somewhere near the fire and drools.
__________________
Oscar Wilde:Work is the curse of the drinking class
vtflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:13 AM   #7
Gman
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Standing in a stream waving a stick
Posts: 1,009
Gee guys thanks for the insightful info.
__________________
Izaak Walton a great writer? He can't even spell COMPLETE.
Gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:06 AM   #8
Glen
Check please
 
Glen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Amityville, NY
Posts: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman View Post
Gee guys thanks for the insightful info.

We are here to help! Anytime.
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:19 PM   #9
desmobob
Old, tired.
 
desmobob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 131
I have big feet (15EEEE) and had trouble finding fins that would fit over wading shoes. I stopped wearing wading shoes and switched to rubber-soled neoprene SCUBA booties. I found that the largest size of Force Fins would (barely) fit over those. Also, some SCUBA fin manufacturers make some pretty huge fins made to fit over big diving boots.

What I do a lot of times is take off my wading shoes and put conventional fins over my stocking-foot waders when I launch my tube... much more comfortable and lighter.

Tight lines,
Bob
desmobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 04:30 PM   #10
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict
 
vtflyfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West coast of New England
Posts: 2,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by desmobob View Post
I have big feet (15EEEE) and had trouble finding fins that would fit over wading shoes.
Bob, I think this belongs in the Bigfoot in the Adirondacks thread.

Sorry, couldn't help myself!
__________________
Oscar Wilde:Work is the curse of the drinking class
vtflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:14 PM   #11
desmobob
Old, tired.
 
desmobob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
Bob, I think this belongs in the Bigfoot in the Adirondacks thread.

Sorry, couldn't help myself!

Hush up, will you? Next thing you know, somebody will notice that the bigfoot sightings correspond with my days off/vacations.

And just so you know, it's true what they say about guys with big feet: they have trouble finding shoes (and waders, and wading boots, and fins, and slippers).

Tight lines,
Bob
desmobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:50 PM   #12
FlyFishingandBeer
Hikes for Tacos
 
FlyFishingandBeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 14
Step-In Fins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman View Post
Last season I used the Classic Accessory fins with the open heel and single strap. I could not fit shoes inside them which meant I had to wear a pair of shoes to the pond, take them off, store them in front of the tube and then put my fins on while sitting in the tube. This was a real PITA.

This season I would like to try the step in fins that fit over your wading shoe. They look a lot more convenient.

Anyone have both or have tried both and what are the best manufacturers/models?
I have the same problem, being genetically gifted with arches that is. Have you tried the Force Fin Pros for military divers? I've never used them with my float tube but I got to use them a couple times in the military and they worked great for being able to move from land to water without having to go through a big cluster F. The only downside is that they are designed not to leave a wake signature so they may require a little extra kicking if you plan to be in big water or a current.
FlyFishingandBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

DISCLAIMER: Use of these forums, and information found herein, is at your own risk. Use of this site by members and non-members alike is only granted by the adkhighpeak.com administration provided the terms and conditions found in the FULL DISCLAIMER have been read. Continued use of this site implies that you have read, understood and agree to the terms and conditions of this site. Any questions can be directed to the Administrator of this site.