Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2016, 12:43 PM   #1
Gman

Float tube fins

Last season I used the Classic Accessory fins with the open heel and single strap. I could not fit shoes inside them which meant I had to wear a pair of shoes to the pond, take them off, store them in front of the tube and then put my fins on while sitting in the tube. This was a real PITA.

This season I would like to try the step in fins that fit over your wading shoe. They look a lot more convenient.

Anyone have both or have tried both and what are the best manufacturers/models?
Old 03-01-2016, 01:31 PM   #2
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

I use two types. The Caddis ultralight are what I take on backpacking excursions. They work great except for extreme conditions when you'd like a little more oomph from each stroke. For that I have an expensive pair of Force Fins. These are heavier and bigger but move a lot of water.

One innovation we have made is to do away with wading shoes. Crocs or beach shoes are plenty adequate given the stiffness and support of the fins themselves. They also give your ankles much better range of motion and are infinitely more comfortable.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:59 PM   #3
Gman

Crocs, watershoes etc. won't fit inside my fins. Also fit poorly over my wader feet. I have a high instep. The step in ones I am looking at are made by Classic Accessories and are on sale at BPS.

I find the ones I have now are very awkward to do up
Old 03-01-2016, 03:49 PM   #4
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman View Post
Crocs, watershoes etc. won't fit inside my fins. Also fit poorly over my wader feet. I have a high instep. The step in ones I am looking at are made by Classic Accessories and are on sale at BPS.

That must have developed from years of wearing high heels. Try cutting holes in the bottom of the fins for the stilettos to fit through.
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:51 PM   #5
serotonin
ember

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
That must have developed from years of wearing high heels. Try cutting holes in the bottom of the fins for the stilettos to fit through.
I fear that his problems are more severe, perhaps stemming from the foot-binding he had to endure as a young hermaphroditic eunuch.
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:57 PM   #6
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
One innovation we have made is to do away with wading shoes. Crocs or beach shoes are plenty adequate given the stiffness and support of the fins themselves. They also give your ankles much better range of motion and are infinitely more comfortable.
Did I mention that Glen found a pair of bright pink crocs in size 12? He claims that the color attracts the brookies and that the matching tutu he wears provides insulating warmth on cold days. That said, most days he just stands silently somewhere near the fire and drools.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:13 AM   #7
Gman

Gee guys thanks for the insightful info.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:06 AM   #8
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Gee guys thanks for the insightful info.

We are here to help! Anytime.
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:19 PM   #9
desmobob
Old, tired.

I have big feet (15EEEE) and had trouble finding fins that would fit over wading shoes. I stopped wearing wading shoes and switched to rubber-soled neoprene SCUBA booties. I found that the largest size of Force Fins would (barely) fit over those. Also, some SCUBA fin manufacturers make some pretty huge fins made to fit over big diving boots.

What I do a lot of times is take off my wading shoes and put conventional fins over my stocking-foot waders when I launch my tube... much more comfortable and lighter.

Tight lines,
Bob
desmobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 04:30 PM   #10
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmobob View Post
I have big feet (15EEEE) and had trouble finding fins that would fit over wading shoes.
Bob, I think this belongs in the Bigfoot in the Adirondacks thread.

Sorry, couldn't help myself!
Old 03-05-2016, 06:14 PM   #11
desmobob
Old, tired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
Bob, I think this belongs in the Bigfoot in the Adirondacks thread.

Sorry, couldn't help myself!

Hush up, will you? Next thing you know, somebody will notice that the bigfoot sightings correspond with my days off/vacations.

And just so you know, it's true what they say about guys with big feet: they have trouble finding shoes (and waders, and wading boots, and fins, and slippers).

Tight lines,
Bob
desmobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:50 PM   #12
FlyFishingandBeer
Hikes for Tacos

Step-In Fins

Quote:
Last season I used the Classic Accessory fins with the open heel and single strap. I could not fit shoes inside them which meant I had to wear a pair of shoes to the pond, take them off, store them in front of the tube and then put my fins on while sitting in the tube. This was a real PITA.

This season I would like to try the step in fins that fit over your wading shoe. They look a lot more convenient.

Anyone have both or have tried both and what are the best manufacturers/models?
I have the same problem, being genetically gifted with arches that is. Have you tried the Force Fin Pros for military divers? I've never used them with my float tube but I got to use them a couple times in the military and they worked great for being able to move from land to water without having to go through a big cluster F. The only downside is that they are designed not to leave a wake signature so they may require a little extra kicking if you plan to be in big water or a current.
FlyFishingandBeer is offline   Reply With Quote