Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2020, 11:40 AM   #21
Wldrns

I am so glad I built my camp a year ago. This year I made a series of PT wood steps down to the lake shore and a firewood leanto and a generator shed. The local lumber yard guys told me that the price of lumber had more than doubled so far this year, with more increases to come, and don't even think about finding pressure treated in the exact standard size you may want. The racks in the big box lumber stores are completely bare of lumber of most kinds if you can even afford the crappy low quality stuff they still have. I can't imagine what my new mostly all wood camp would have cost to build this year.

All due to the mills being forced to shut down in March, plus at-home project builders finally deciding this was the time to build their barns or whatever, and all the summer pent up demand once the mills started operating again.

Best to wait another season to see if the lumber supplies and prices get better again before making a deal to build anything big.
Old 08-23-2020, 11:42 AM   #22
Kyler
Admin

What kind of biking are you looking for? Mountain, road, both? You mentioned AFTA, so I assume mountain. I also imagine that you've checked out BETA's website and are familiar with trails in the High Peaks area: https://www.betatrails.org

It seems like a lot of areas are building mountain bike trails, with lots of options on the east side of the park - Ausable Chasm, Brant Lake, North Creek, Garnet Lake, Queensbury

As for paddling, I prefer the Saranac Lake, Paul Smiths, Tupper Lake, Long Lake areas. From the east side of the park, it requires a little more planning, but still not bad for a day trip.

You may also want to check the tax rates of specific towns in any specific area.
Old 08-23-2020, 03:54 PM   #23
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmeg creeker View Post
This year, primarily because of COVID 19, the Adirondacks are being overrun with first-time hikers, paddlers, and, to tell the truth, some yahoos as well. The value of land and extant structures seem to have risen. In my opinion, some of the first-time people will begin to think about investing here, while last year they wouldn't even have considered a trip at all.
As a case in point, I provide this example. There is a ramshackle old house down the road from me. Last weekend, the place was being covered in Tyvek and a Mercedes was parked in the driveway. Best to find what works for you and not develop a case of analysis paralysis.
Yes - this situation is causing an influx of wealthy city folk fleeing to rural areas. Not only NY - all over New England as well. I'd imagine Canada is having the same things happen.

I'm not fleeing Covid, but rather have been wanting to move to the North Country for some time. Life gets in the way, but I'm pretty sure I'll start the process in the next couple years. That is if yahoos haven't driven the land prices to hell. I'd have to imagine what I'm looking for is not what someone from NYC is looking for though.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 03:58 PM   #24
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyler View Post
What kind of biking are you looking for? Mountain, road, both? You mentioned AFTA, so I assume mountain. I also imagine that you've checked out BETA's website and are familiar with trails in the High Peaks area: https://www.betatrails.org

It seems like a lot of areas are building mountain bike trails, with lots of options on the east side of the park - Ausable Chasm, Brant Lake, North Creek, Garnet Lake, Queensbury

As for paddling, I prefer the Saranac Lake, Paul Smiths, Tupper Lake, Long Lake areas. From the east side of the park, it requires a little more planning, but still not bad for a day trip.

You may also want to check the tax rates of specific towns in any specific area.
Yes - I'm aware of all the other trail systems developed in the East and North.

Paddling and biking are my favorite warm(er) weather activities, so being somewhere in the range of what you mention for paddling and in the BETA trail area would be ideal for me.

Not too worried about taxes compared to what I pay currently - almost everywhere in the park is far lower.
Old 08-23-2020, 04:54 PM   #25
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
Best to wait another season to see if the lumber supplies and prices get better again before making a deal to build anything big.
I might see if my boys will be interested in doing a building project. I have 3 of them.
Old 08-24-2020, 11:24 AM   #26
Lucky13

I have been watching ADK Real Estate since college in the early 70's. I have seen nothing but appreciation, since the recession in the mid 70's, when it seemed like everything up there was for sale. Other areas like the Tug Hill have jumped recently. I expect that as people abandon the urban Jungles of DeBlasioland and New Jersey, land prices in the Country will only rise higher. To Quote "Grace" from my southern friends " Grab it and growl!"

I hear there is a modest parcel in the Central ADKS that just hit the market, the Whitney Estate. 36000 acres with buildings roads, etc, only 180 million. That is 5 K per acre. When the study commission on the ADKs in the 21st Century published their findings, they put the real estate value of an acre at $300, that was back when Rocky was still governor. Large tracts still routinely sell for 5-800 per acre, but that is totally undeveloped and a lot of it is likely classified wetlands.

You might also want to look at the Malone area. I know as a stream trout fishermen the area looks phenomenal.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 08:33 AM   #27
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

My wife and I moved from Rochester to Schroon Lake last November - for us, it is the absolute perfect location. She still drives back there every three weeks, and I needed reasonable access to an airport for my job (not considering COVID, of course). We grocery shop in Ticonderoga and Glens Falls, around 30 minutes each; we canoe all over, and much within reasonable distance, and Pharaoh Lake Wilderness is around 20 minutes away. With three exits on the Northway, it is very accessible, and yet the small town has lots to consider as well.

And unless you're on the water, taxes are not so bad, and lower than we saw in Keene, Jay or Ausable.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:03 AM   #28
Wldrns

Taxes..... my brother lives in a nicely wooded rural setting in southern NH. Of course the good deal is there is no sales tax in NH, but they get you in other ways. He is high enough on a hill to look out just over the treetops over a valley and pays an additional "view tax" on his property.

I consider my self lucky to be retired and live in NY because I have retirement income from my military retirement, and separately from a federal civilian career, plus my wife's teacher's retirement income. None of which is taxed as income by the NY State. I can handle the significant but still relatively modest tax on my home and camp lake property.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:06 PM   #29
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWarlock View Post
My wife and I moved from Rochester to Schroon Lake last November - for us, it is the absolute perfect location. She still drives back there every three weeks, and I needed reasonable access to an airport for my job (not considering COVID, of course). We grocery shop in Ticonderoga and Glens Falls, around 30 minutes each; we canoe all over, and much within reasonable distance, and Pharaoh Lake Wilderness is around 20 minutes away. With three exits on the Northway, it is very accessible, and yet the small town has lots to consider as well.

And unless you're on the water, taxes are not so bad, and lower than we saw in Keene, Jay or Ausable.
Love the Schroon.

Also close to Gore and Brant Lake bike trails

The only thing I worry about over there is summer tourism. Not that it doesn't exist pretty much everywhere in the park, but the NYC Lake George and Lake Placid crowd all bottle-necked in that area concerns me.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:17 PM   #30
WinterWarlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Love the Schroon.

Also close to Gore and Brant Lake bike trails

The only thing I worry about over there is summer tourism. Not that it doesn't exist pretty much everywhere in the park, but the NYC Lake George and Lake Placid crowd all bottle-necked in that area concerns me.
Hard to gauge by this summer, but we’re pretty far from the Lake George or Placid crowds...most of the tourists here seem to have been coming here for many years.
Old 08-26-2020, 06:10 PM   #31
montcalm
Mobster

Yeah I guess I was thinking Northway traffic and spillovers.

Some relatives have had a cabin just off of the lake since the 1920s, I should check with them.
Old 08-29-2020, 09:22 AM   #32
Bunchberry

Internet access?
Bunchberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 01:52 PM   #33
WinterWarlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunchberry View Post
Internet access?
Schroon Lake has several options for high speed, including Slik optical at 1GB...
Old 08-29-2020, 02:17 PM   #34
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

I live in the southern Ferris Wild Forest area.............nice, quiet and secluded - just the way I like it. I would strongly encourage NO ONE to consider this area.
Old 08-29-2020, 06:59 PM   #35
montcalm
Mobster

Schroon sound pretty awful... I don't think anyone should consider it.
Old 09-08-2020, 02:24 PM   #36
Gatorman

My wife and I moved to North Creek earlier this year from Northern Virginia. After renting vacation homes for many years in different areas of the Adirondacks, we settled on North Creek. In town we have a Hudson Headwaters medical group, grocery store, pharmacy, half a dozen restaurants/bars, hardware store, and lumber yard. We are minutes from Gore and within a 30 minute drive of many lakes and trails. 45 minutes driving gets you to big box retail in Queensbury/Glens Falls. I also need reasonable airport access for business travel and this area recently got fiber optic internet service which makes working from home a reality.

We purchased raw land about 9 years ago and just sat on it until we were able to design and finance a house. Finding dependable contractors up here was a challenge and we ended up bringing in some trades from Saratoga Springs. The construction took longer than planned and there were cost overruns but we love it here.
Gatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 02:55 PM   #37
WinterWarlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorman View Post
My wife and I moved to North Creek earlier this year from Northern Virginia. After renting vacation homes for many years in different areas of the Adirondacks, we settled on North Creek. In town we have a Hudson Headwaters medical group, grocery store, pharmacy, half a dozen restaurants/bars, hardware store, and lumber yard.
We looked at a couple of places there, and really liked the area as well...enjoy!
Old 09-08-2020, 03:44 PM   #38
montcalm
Mobster

I narrowed my locale down to a portion of 3 counties - Warren, Essex and Franklin.

Within those Town of Schroon and Town of Johnsburg are my top areas of interest. A lot of this hinges of taxes and proximity to things I like.
Old 09-08-2020, 04:14 PM   #39
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

It's great to be able to narrow down and focus on specifics of each area. I hope you'll be able to find the place you're looking for.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 04:38 PM   #40
montcalm
Mobster

I spent the last week combing through tax data, looking at distances to areas of interest or need, and looking at houses currently for sale (probably not great as the market will surely be different when I'm ready to buy).

Most of the areas on my list I've at least driven through - given this is a rural venture I'm not deadset on one specific village, but rather a large area that would put me in proximity to a specific village and nearby city.

Saranac Lake is still on my list, but the assessments (and thus taxes) are so whacky there I'm not sure this would work for me unless I found just the right place, and could be sure the assessment wouldn't jump up. For this, I really need to talk to the town and understand the assessed values. The other towns I listed make more sense as the assessed values are near the market values. I found in Saranac some are really close, and some aren't... and the tax rate is much higher making affordability difficult. It's not more than I pay now but it's hard to find a house for what I can afford given that rate. In the lower tax areas, the houses are assessed and selling much higher, but given the tax rate it's something I can afford. There really is a big swing in Adirondacks and it's really worth looking into.