Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2020, 12:31 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Sooooo, you’re saying the fire tower is refurbished? And open?
Yes on refurbished. New paint, new treads on stairs, one footing rebuilt. No chicken wire under railings from midway up, which is a little scary. Cabin is till locked up tight.
2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 04:13 PM   #22
Lucky13

I just returned from two weeks in Eagle Bay wit the family. I mainly stayed in camp and went on hikes, and fished. On Saturday, August 8, I drove up the Big Moose Road. No one was parked at the abandoned and unsafe turnout by the Cascade Lake Trail, but the parking lot was near capacity at 10:30 AM. There was no one in the Cascade Outlet pull off, but around the bend there were a dozen parkers on the left side of the road, then an entirely full Moss Lake lot, then another 8 cars or so overflow. At the Windfall/Queer Lake trailhead, I was able to get one of three remaining spots (I don't recall ever seeing more than 2 cars in this lot) and look for berries, and try the outlet brook for a few minutes. On the drive back, someone was walking from the handicapped lot to the main lot, no sticker in their window, and just over the bend a trooper was coming up the road, likely some badly needed revenue for NYS as parking tickets are easy.

Every time I went by the Rocky Mountain/Black Bear Mt Trailhead, it was at or near capacity. Same for Bubb and Sis Lakes.

I took three trips in to the MRP, the first Thursday when we went in at 10, we saw three occupied sites, coming out there were two that were still available. The following Thursday, same thing, with maybe one open one. 23 people had signed in after us that day. That is like a week a couple of years ago.

Unfortunately, a lot of these new pilgrims are poorly educated in woodcraft, and many are downright pigs. While we saw no blueberries anywhere (be mindful about bears) there was a bloom of toilet paper flowers seemingly everywhere we went. There was also an inordinate amount of trash around. And social distancing is a joke in Old Forge and Inlet, mask wearing is almost not done in the woods (my partner and I left the trail in every case where we met other hikers, noone got out of our way) and we only saw one other pair of Hikers on the Wilson Pond trail that had masks and put them up when they saw me coming. And large numbers of people hiking in crocs, flipflops, shorts, no water or daypack, etc, etc, etc!

So maybe you can find some solitude in the Western Adirondacks, but you'll still have a better chance in the middle of the week.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote