Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2020, 08:41 PM   #1
Viking

Camp Chair

Never thought it would come to this but I am looking for input on camp chairs.

I am a Clydesdale, which in bicycling terms means over 200 lbs. In fact I run about 250. My back is shot and the camp chair is a saving grace while canoeing. I bought an XL Big Mans chair from REI, which promptly broke the 2nd time I used it.

The Helinox that is so widely regarded showed up today. I got like maybe one cheek in it. Plus, it leaned too far back for my back - like to sit more upright.

So, I am looking for a chair that let's me sit more upright, more than 14" off the ground (is 18" asking for too much?) - that fits the Clyde class and doesn't weigh 10 lbs. Durability is a plus.

Any recommendations?

Thank you in advance!

Viking
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:02 PM   #2
bluequill

Which Helinox did you buy? They make a Chair One XL, good for 320# and has an 18" seat height. Weighs a little over 3.5#

I have a Chair One in a smaller size and love it.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:50 PM   #3
MaximusFunk24

I have the Chair One also and use it often. At 165lb I notice that on moist ground, the feet sink down about an inch. If I weighed any more, I would invest in the Helinox "ground sheet" for another 25 dollars to prevent sinking.
MaximusFunk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:07 AM   #4
Mallard1100

I have a chair one and use it for hunting as well. The legs will sink in soft ground thought. Here’s a tip to avoid the ground sheet. Go to cvs, Walgreens, Walmart etc and by the rubber caps that go on the bottom of an old timers cane or walker. Normally sell them in a 2 or 4 pack. I put them on Mine and I am no longer sinking in on soft ground
Mallard1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:15 AM   #5
Blackflie

I have a helinox, hard to get out of, (bad Knees) and yes it sinks into the ground, so either get some tennis balls or just rekey on four beer cans (empty of course)
Old 02-05-2020, 11:12 AM   #6
EagleEd

Chair

My daughter works for Casual Living Unlimited LLC in New Holland PA. You can call her Cheri Rhoades (717)690-1825 and she will give you a rundown on all their products. Mention my name - Eagle Ed when you call so you may save on shipping or get a discount.
We have two that we use on our deck and they seem to hold up very well.

Eagle Ed
EagleEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:31 PM   #7
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I have a Wenonah Super Seat for my canoe, it provides some back support. I will sometimes take it out or take out the whole canoe seat which has 3" legs and set it on a log, or a rock, or one of those cut-off log rounds that sometimes appear at campsites,or anything that puts it at a comfortable height. It definitely adds to the comfort level. I'm 7 feet tall so any chair I could buy would not be comfortable for me.

---Irrelevancy Alert---

A few years ago I realized that I hadn't sat in a chair that really fit me since I was 13 or 14, so I built a quick Morris chair from some lower grade leftover cherry I had on hand. I got some upholstery fabric for a dollar a foot off the roll at our dollar store to make the cushion covers, it's a rather odd purple check color (which is probably why it ended up at the dollar store) but it wears really well. The top of the seat cushion is 23" off the floor, and the seat is 22" deep to the front of the back cushion, and it is very comfortable for me, though not for anyone else who has tried it yet.
Zach
Zach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 02:39 PM   #8
mike7575

I totally agree with blackflie. I usually end up rolling out on the ground. I end up using a cheap lawn chair as long as I don't have a lot of carry's.
mike7575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 01:08 PM   #9
Fly Rodder

A trick to prevent the chair ones from sinking into soft ground is to cut two pieces of standard PVC conduit (one for each side) to length and then carve a hole in each end to fit the feet into. The lengths will fit in the bag with the rest of the chair when packed. You could add bungees to keep them attached.
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 01:34 PM   #10
TrailBlaser

I bought an expensive chair made by Marchway on Amazon and have been very satisfied with it on canoe camping trips.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:31 PM   #11
Justin
Moving along

I used to carry a little folding camp stool but now I just usually (not always) use a folding Sven Saw to cut a couple small dead & downed logs for a little bench. When you are through you can burn them or just toss them back to the forest or lean against a tree for the next campers if you wish.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:10 PM   #12
montcalm
Mobster

I have a Helinox as well (older so not sure if it's the same model as discussed) and I love it. I don't always use it though. Depends on the trip and how much weight I want to carry. It's a bit heavy and bulky IMO. Also it does sink into the ground, always, no matter what you weigh. I usually just find a spot where it sinks in a level, comfortable way and leave it... until the wind shifts and blows the smoke at me!

Last time I went backpacking I brought it and was a great addition. I was at the Bear Lake LT in BRWF, and if you know it, the LT is quite a distance from the lake. We had nice weather and I wanted to sit by the water so I took the chair and the few beers I brought, carried them down to the lake and set up the chair in the water and sat there and drank my beers. Was a great day! And I'm glad I brought.

Nothin' better than soaking your feet in a BC pond with a beer in your hand, and having a comfy chair! Can't beat that!
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:40 PM   #13
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Rodder View Post
A trick to prevent the chair ones from sinking into soft ground is to cut two pieces of standard PVC conduit (one for each side) to length and then carve a hole in each end to fit the feet into. The lengths will fit in the bag with the rest of the chair when packed. You could add bungees to keep them attached.
I like this! Thanks for the idea. If you keyhole it right, you probably don't even need bungies.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 12:57 PM   #14
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Depends on your definition of camp...

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/furnitu...westport-chair

You can use any wood you want...make the arms wider for diner plates, and the seat can be wider to for husky ppl...

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 04:49 PM   #15
Bob K

Helinox chair leg

I help avoid my small Helinox chair from sinking by installing a plastic practice golf ball on each leg. A small slit, then force on. They fit into the bag just fine on the legs & stay put.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:48 PM   #16
Blackflie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
I help avoid my small Helinox chair from sinking by installing a plastic practice golf ball on each leg. A small slit, then force on. They fit into the bag just fine on the legs & stay put.

That makes perfect sense, thanks for the tip. And I can still do a sideways exit to save my knees!
Old 02-09-2020, 05:41 AM   #17
Viking

Thank you everyone, for your responses. This has been more involved than purchasing the canoe itself.

I did end up purchasing the Marchway product that TrailBlaser mentioned - thank you.

Let's get the ice out and be on our way!
Old 02-09-2020, 10:35 AM   #18
EagleEd

Chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
Thank you everyone, for your responses. This has been more involved than purchasing the canoe itself.

I did end up purchasing the Marchway product that TrailBlaser mentioned - thank you.

Let's get the ice out and be on our way!
Stop cutting up my plastic golf balls!

Mil Pickleson
EagleEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:21 PM   #19
Viking

Update -

The Marchway chair showed up just like the $127 I gave to Amazon this year said it would.

Now, it won't work for me because I cannot slide my ever growing girth into it. This is not a knock on the chair - it's a knock on me.

The chair is nice - once I discovered I was too big my wife had it scooped up in about 7 seconds. Good backrest angle - not too much. High on the sides to feel all tucked in (her words) and the headrest which she instantly proclaimed to be an outstanding feature and how did the industry miss this.

3.7 lb's, shock-corded frame and a handy carrying sack. Will fit right in my canoe packs. $50 bucks.

Pretty sure she's gonna dig it.

Thanks TB
Old 02-10-2020, 10:23 PM   #20
mike7575

If you figure out that growing girth problem let me know. Its the largest problem I have (lol) with my chair
mike7575 is offline   Reply With Quote