Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2017, 09:56 PM   #1
Elbow

Fishing Cedar River?

Anyone fish the Cedar River from Cedar River Flow to Indian Lake? Just wondering how it is, what species etc. Thanks, Craig.
Elbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:51 AM   #2
Gman

Never fished it, never seen it discussed here. Check the DEC.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:23 PM   #3
JohnnyVirgil

I've never seen anyone take any fish out of the flow, and I've been going there for decades, and if I see someone with fishing gear, I always ask them if they had any luck. I see fry of some kind close to shore, but that's about it. I'm not a huge fisherman, but I've tossed a line into the lake, the inlet, and down the river more than once and never caught a thing, other than a bullhead down a side channel. I've never fished below the dam. For what that's worth. Probably not much.

Last edited by JohnnyVirgil; 02-07-2017 at 01:55 PM..
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:45 PM   #4
Bark Eater Too

We used to fish in the gorge below the falls for bullheads. It's quite deep there and they were somewhat plentiful. That was a long time ago. The DEC recently marked the turnoff and path to the falls with a sign. Maybe a little more than 2 miles below the dam at the flow. If nothing else, it's a short walk from the road and a beautiful place!
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:32 PM   #5
Stillhunter

The Indian River is stocked in this area but I have never fished it. DEC stocking lists will show quantities and size. I think they put in browns. The Cedar River flow used to get stocked with brookies but they changed to browns I think. I will have to look that up. I was reading some old accounts of fishing the flow from years ago that were pretty good. It is shallow and weed choked I think.
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:49 PM   #6
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhunter View Post
The Indian River is stocked in this area but I have never fished it. DEC stocking lists will show quantities and size. I think they put in browns. The Cedar River flow used to get stocked with brookies but they changed to browns I think. I will have to look that up. I was reading some old accounts of fishing the flow from years ago that were pretty good. It is shallow and weed choked I think.
Definitely shallow. I remember one of the first times I had gone there and it was amazingly choppy with crazy whitecaps, and we thought we were going to capsize and drown. On the way out, two days later, I laughed when I hit bottom with my paddle in the middle of the flow and realized that if we had capsized we could have just stood up and walked to shore. I think there's a deepish channel that runs where the original river was, but that's it. The rest is pretty shallow and getting shallower with the silt build up from the inlet. Probably too warm for brookies?
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:27 PM   #7
Pauly D.

The closest I've come is the Indian River off Chain Lakes Road. The only thing that I caught were some bass that must have spilled over the dam on Lake Abanakee. At the time I didn't have a fly rod but saw some guys fly fishing up river. I know it's stocked as Stillhunter says and have been told that there are decent fish in there. It's a beautiful place to visit.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:00 PM   #8
wellsley

I have fished below the cedar flow dam and have caught brookies on earth worms. The brookies were small 6"
wellsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:40 AM   #9
streamfish

I've caught small brookies and a few decent Browns below the flow on pheobes but that's about it
streamfish is offline   Reply With Quote