Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2021, 05:37 PM   #1
Jwojcik1990

Unidentified fish on Lower Saranac Lake

Hey guys, I am hoping to find someone here is who is familiar with the fishing on Lower Saranac Lake.

I just got back from spending a week there in the hot tent catching some massive Northern Pike, ended up catching 18 total across the 7 days. There was one particular hookup though, that has left me very confused and was hoping to get some insight from someone who fishes that water more often.

On 3 day I was fishing my usual spot to catch Pike and instantly knew I was hooked into something different when this grabbed my line. It felt like it was fighting me like a Trout, but I did not think that possible in Pike infested water. Sure enough though, I got my fish to the surface and I was surprised to see it was what I thought to be a huge Lake Trout! I had my GoPro running, but this fish was so big I could not get it into my collapsible net and before I got get a good grip it managed to shake my hook out right next to the boat. The thing is, I got a clear look at it and have started to doubt it was a Lake Trout. The first thing going against it being a Laker, is that apparently there are no Lake Trout in Lower Saranac. It definitely had the classic Trout profile, a silver/grey coloring to its body, and diamond looking spotting on its body. There was absolutely no pink streak across body that would make me think it was a Rainbow Trout.

Any ideas on what this could have been? I really wish I had managed to get a glimpse of it on the GoPro.
Jwojcik1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 08:00 PM   #2
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Diamond shaped spots? Kind of X-shaped, maybe? Forked tail? Possibly a Landlocked Salmon?

If the pectoral fins had white leading edges that points to it being a char (laker, brookie, splake).
Old 11-13-2021, 08:08 PM   #3
Jwojcik1990

Looking at some pictures of Landlocked Salmon, I think that might have been it! Details like the fins and tail escape me now, the color and shape and spot pattern is what jumped out to me! I went into this trip expecting to catch nothing but Pike and Bass and it caught me so off guard. I wish I could 100 percent confirm it was that, I have never caught any kind of Salmon but always wanted to try.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:34 PM   #4
wildbrookies

Yeah, I think VT has it identified correctly .. big landlocked salmon. Awesome fish and fight Im sure. Only wish you netted it!
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 10:16 AM   #5
Jwojcik1990

I was so absolutely caught off guard when I saw it! I went into the trip thinking I would see nothing but Pike and Bass so was not really ready with the net. It amazes me that a fish like that would be able to survive in the same water I was catching such big Pike in. I would have assumed it would be a quick meal for one of those giant females!
Old 11-15-2021, 07:12 PM   #6
Lowjack12

I was fishing in the hudson river early May about 10 years ago and slamming 18 to 20 inch football rain bows I have the pics and was slammed in the white water below this little water fall and a giant fish surfaces and I thought giant lake trout like 40 plus. And the fish went down stream in a hurry. Held on it for about 30 minutes on a small white spinner. Turned out to be a 43 inch pike that was feeding on the trout. Have pics of the pike and the trout was a great day
Lowjack12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 11:52 AM   #7
Glen
Check please

I fished Lower Saranac for years when I was younger. Mostly Smallmouth and Pike with some Perch mixed in. I know it was occasionlly stocked with trout but they never seem to take. Understandable given the Pike and Bass. I doubt it was a Landlocked. No history of them in that system. The Saranac River flows out of Lower Saranac but I don't see any way a salmon could migrate that far from Champlain. Just my 2 cents.
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 01:11 PM   #8
St.Regis

My guess would be a fish that came down from Upper Saranac or the Fish Creek Pond system
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 04:05 PM   #9
Jwojcik1990

Ugh, right when I think the case is solved, someone casts doubt on it. It kills me that I manage to film so much of my trips, but did not manage to get this on camera. I am heading back this weekend for a short overnighter, maybe I can solve the mystery!
Old 11-17-2021, 05:33 PM   #10
Creekwader
Snag Locator

There’s no mystery here, it was most likely a salmon. Glen is incorrect, landlocks are currently stocked in the waters draining into lower saranac. Upper saranac was stocked with salmon until 2013 and there are at least 4 lakes in the drainage that are currently stocked. On top of that, the lls brood stock lake for the entire state drains directly into upper saranac. Landlocks are notorious wanderers this time of year searching for spawning locations so I’d say that’s what it was. How about landing it next time so we can see it!
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 10:36 PM   #11
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekwader View Post
There’s no mystery here, it was most likely a salmon. Glen is incorrect, landlocks are currently stocked in the waters draining into lower saranac. Upper saranac was stocked with salmon until 2013 and there are at least 4 lakes in the drainage that are currently stocked. On top of that, the lls brood stock lake for the entire state drains directly into upper saranac. Landlocks are notorious wanderers this time of year searching for spawning locations so I’d say that’s what it was. How about landing it next time so we can see it!
You think that fish came down from Upper through shallow Middle and then the creek to Lower? Possible I guess.
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Old 11-18-2021, 08:50 AM   #12
St.Regis

Probably not when the water was warm, but given colder water in spring or fall it's definitely possible. Like CW said, given the opportunity, salmon are rovers
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 09:18 AM   #13
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
You think that fish came down from Upper through shallow Middle and then the creek to Lower? Possible I guess.
Trust me, they travel. Especially downstream.
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 06:14 PM   #14
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekwader View Post
Trust me, they travel. Especially downstream.
So does Glen in his constant quest for new low points.
Old 11-19-2021, 12:14 PM   #15
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
So does Glen in his constant quest for new low points.
Speaking of low points how's the penicillin working?
― Cormac McCarthy
Old 11-19-2021, 07:58 PM   #16
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Karma. Glen at the beach.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Glen Beach.jpg (71.2 KB, 192 views)
Old 11-20-2021, 11:30 AM   #17
Green Drake

They also stock Lake Colby with salmon including brood stock in the fall, and there is a route that could get them into Lower Saranac if the water was high and they were really motivated.
Green Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 03:58 PM   #18
EagleCrag

What is your estimate of the fish's length? Also, did it jump at all while you were fighting it? Landlocks often jump, lake trout do not. Lakers are usually bottom huggers when you're fighting them. If you're in deep water, a laker tussle is usually a vertical affair with them constantly trying to bulldog to the bottom. They also will often roll on the fishing line, wrapping it around their head. If it doesn't wrap around their head, you can feel them rolling if you have felt them do it previously.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:47 PM   #19
Jwojcik1990

I finally got around to editing the video for the part of the trip where I lost the Salmon. The level of disappointment when the fish gets off is almost tangible. I have days 1 and 2 and days 3 and 4 up on my Youtube channel if anyone wants to check out some of the Pike fishing I did plus the full version of the clip where I lose the Salmon. Once I have all 8 days edited out and pull some good pictures from the footage I will write up a full trip report!

Lost Salmon: https://youtu.be/uGekFrv2hro

Day 1 and 2: https://youtu.be/Bs-AUPFl_1A

Day 3 and 4: https://youtu.be/ja7kHbFGNQQ
Old 12-04-2021, 02:33 AM   #20
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Funny!