Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2020, 04:39 PM   #1
Tick Magnet

Murphy Lake reclaimed

FYI, I saw this sign hanging at the Pumpkin Hollow Rd trailhead for Murphy Lake in the Wilcox Lake Wild Forest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10 6g TH - Copy.JPG (132.3 KB, 370 views)
Old 10-06-2020, 06:23 PM   #2
ewthielking

Is the LeanTo still standing?

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk
ewthielking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 01:57 PM   #3
PineMartin

Anyone know typical time after treatment before trout are stocked?
PineMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:09 PM   #4
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Assuming they used rotenone, it has a pretty short half-life- 1 to 3 days, depending on sunlight in particular (more sunlight means it breaks down faster). Typically, the amount of time in between rotenone application and when it's appropriate to start restocking is anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 10:19 AM   #5
bosco

question as to the location of this trail head. is it on pumpkin hollow rd or do you drive down past the camps down the old murhy lake rd. rd ? thanks
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 10:33 AM   #6
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
question as to the location of this trail head. is it on pumpkin hollow rd or do you drive down past the camps down the old murhy lake rd. rd ? thanks
There are two. Pumkin Hollow Rd from the North, or Creek Rd from the South.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 10:35 AM   #7
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I believe Old Murphy Lake Road is private. It's been years since I've been there, but from what I recall there is a single trailhead parking area near the end of Pumpkin Hollow Road for all 3 trails that diverge from there- the trail north to Coulombe Creek and eventually the Pine Orchard, the trail east to Wilcox Lake, and the trail south to Murphy Lake.

Some googling and checking the Nat Geo maps appears to confirm this.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 11:39 AM   #8
St.Regis

I'm sure there are a lot of factors involved, but I wonder how long it takes for the macroinvertebrate prey base to recover from pond reclamation. I'm guessing ponds that are close to other waters bounce back faster than remote and isolated waters
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 01:47 PM   #9
Tick Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
I took this picture on the Pumpkin Hollow Rd. trailhead to Murphy Lake last fall. Duct Tape is correct, you can get to Murphy from Pumpkin Hollow Rd or Creek Rd. The distance to Murphy is the same from either trailhead.

Please don't drive down Murphy Lake Rd. Like DSettahr said, it's a private road and the nice folks who live there don't like people parking or trying to turn around on their front lawn. Back in the day, that was the historic approach to Murphy Lake. There was an actual "road" from Creek Rd. to Pumpkin Hollow Rd. that the current trail uses for most of the way.
Old 03-19-2021, 07:00 AM   #10
Adironzach

Beautiful area up there. Never actually made it to Murphy Lake when i went as there was already another group at the Lean-to but Middle Lake has some beautiful camping locations on the opposite side of lake that the trail is on. Lets hope we dont have any rogue anglers that introduce invasive again.
Adironzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 03:10 PM   #11
Stillhunter

From the reclamation of Lower Sargent pond they did not stock it until the following fall, 11 months later. A survey to see how effective the reclamation was is typically done prior to stocking.
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 05:36 PM   #12
PineMartin

Thanks for the timelines.
PineMartin is offline   Reply With Quote