Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2020, 08:57 AM   #21
Bunchberry

The wife and I did an out and back on the old wood road running next to shelving rock brook. There was a deer dragged out. You could see the drag marks in the leaves.

On the link below its called the Erubus south slope trail.

https://naturalatlas.com/map/@43.558003,-73.580031,15z
Bunchberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:07 PM   #22
adkman12986

Well today I seen something very scary. In 2 differant locations I seen 2 people at each location headding into the woods on a hike wearing all black Clack coat pants and hats. Yes hunters should know exactly what they are shooting at and whats beyond but where is others responsibility? The numbers of young hunters out is growing, as well new hunters. One would think that during hunting season one would take on the edge of caution and wear something other then black or brown.
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:17 PM   #23
sleepy

Heading up to Tupper Lake for the annual hunt. Just wondering what folks are seeing in the woods in terms of der movement and rutting activity. Don't think the 60 degree temperatures are going to help but we will make the best of it.
Any info appreciated
sleepy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:17 PM   #24
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
Heading up to Tupper Lake for the annual hunt. Just wondering what folks are seeing in the woods in terms of der movement and rutting activity. Don't think the 60 degree temperatures are going to help but we will make the best of it.
Any info appreciated
Deer may be lieing low in the thickets but they have to drink sometime and bears feed regardless of temps. Good luck.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 03:55 PM   #25
Mallard1100

I’m heading up to my camp in Long Lake on Sunday for the week. Not happy at all looking at the forecast. It’s a far cry from this week last year where we had 0 degree temps and snow. It really had the deer moving. Oh well, will make the best of it and hunt the conditions available. I think I will pack a fishing rod for midday. Lol
Mallard1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 07:15 PM   #26
bluequill

Went out today and sat on a log and enjoyed the weather for a couple of hours and saw some movement just at quitting time. I have some active scrapes and a ton of acorns. A nice bulked up 6 pointer with his girlfriends on the camera between 8pm and 4am. If we could just sync our times..........
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 10:50 PM   #27
EagleCrag

The Lord smiled on me today. Shot a nice 6 point with a 21 inch spread today near Tupper Lake. Nicest 6 pointer I've ever shot. I was surprised that his neck wasn't swolen. Came along at 12:20 as I sat near the base of a tree. Hadn't been there more than an hour. I've paid my dues this year though as I have seen few deer thus far. I have always said that you don't have to see a lot of deer as long as you see THE ONE. A fellow I'd never met helped me load it in my truck. When he saw the deer, he said, "Oh, you shot the Big Six." He had trail cam pictures of the buck when it was in velvet so he sent them to me. Quite a big coincidence.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:10 AM   #28
chaser
pond jockey

Congrats EC!!!!!!!! 21" spread, you must've seen those horns coming through the woods. Well done.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:42 PM   #29
bridgeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleCrag View Post
The Lord smiled on me today. Shot a nice 6 point with a 21 inch spread today near Tupper Lake. Nicest 6 pointer I've ever shot. I was surprised that his neck wasn't swolen. Came along at 12:20 as I sat near the base of a tree. Hadn't been there more than an hour. I've paid my dues this year though as I have seen few deer thus far. I have always said that you don't have to see a lot of deer as long as you see THE ONE. A fellow I'd never met helped me load it in my truck. When he saw the deer, he said, "Oh, you shot the Big Six." He had trail cam pictures of the buck when it was in velvet so he sent them to me. Quite a big coincidence.
Congratulations. Need Pictures!
bridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 08:32 AM   #30
Brian248

New hunter to the Adirondacks, any suggestions for areas to either avoid or try out for scouting and eventually setting up camp/overnight hunts? Thanks!
Brian248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 08:43 AM   #31
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian248 View Post
New hunter to the Adirondacks, any suggestions for areas to either avoid or try out for scouting and eventually setting up camp/overnight hunts? Thanks!
Stay away from popular hiking areas and you should be fine. It's a good acorn year, lots of feed where there are oaks.

And, congrats Crag, sounds like a fine buck!

Last edited by Buckladd; 11-10-2020 at 08:54 AM..
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:47 AM   #32
Brian248

Also congrats EagleCrag! Thanks Bucklad! Yea I’ve gone four times so far and saw two sets of tracks near a known acorn plot and bedding area.

Yea I’m trying to take 200k thousand acres and determine where to setup shop, at the eleventh hour! Haha I’d love to hear what works for experienced hunters!

Does anyone use chalk dust or doe estrin to help “hunt the wind” successfully?
How long do you like to be in your spot by before shooting light?
How far, on average, is your spot from your camp or access point?
Thanks!
Old 11-10-2020, 10:43 PM   #33
Ryan Ball
NYOutdoors

Congrats Eaglecrag. glad someone got one around here haha. Ive had but only a few hours every sunday morning and only doe to count. Heading downstate where i grew up near PA next week for southern opener with hopes to fill some tags.
Ryan Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:12 PM   #34
IndLk_Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian248 View Post
Does anyone use chalk dust or doe estrin to help “hunt the wind” successfully?
A little trick my Dad taught me: Get a very fine piece of thread (the thinner the better and preferably slightly frayed on the end) and tape it with a bit of electrical tape so it hangs from the end of your gun barrel. You should have around 4" hanging down. Then simply hold the barrel in the air to test the wind. The thread acts sort of like a wind sock and will move with the slightest bit of air current.

Always thought that was a lot easier than dealing with any chalk dust.
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:15 PM   #35
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ball View Post
Congrats Eaglecrag. glad someone got one around here haha. Ive had but only a few hours every sunday morning and only doe to count. Heading downstate where i grew up near PA next week for southern opener with hopes to fill some tags.
You should've been here today on the PA. border...we had 3 bucks and 4 doe in the yard.
A 10pt or bigger who tried to stay hidden, a 4 pt who was chasing the younger does, he stayed away from the mature doe, and a 6pt who was staying away from the 10.
First bucks we saw in the yard in I believe 2 yrs.

Good luck.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 04:39 PM   #36
skillzman1

Man It Is Too Warm!!
I took the week off for vacation hunting, and of course it's 65-70*! And it's tough hunting acorn years, the deer are all spread out.

I've seen some decent bucks being harvested (pics)..but only a few does to speak of in person. According to Facebook reminders I harvested my last buck 2 yrs ago yesterday...in 5" of fresh snow as I recall. Whole lot different this year.

On the up side...I've almost completed my online Bow hunter certification while I'm setting watch...lol
That should be an exercise in futility, trying to get close enough for an ethical bow shot!?!?!
Good to see EC hooked up, nice buck sir!!
Old 11-12-2020, 06:02 PM   #37
Brian248

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndLk_Brett View Post
Always thought that was a lot easier than dealing with any chalk dust.
Thanks never would have thought of that.

Iíve been out 4 times since the 24th to a well known area. Have only seen one set of large tracks after a light snowfall. Trouble is getting to that area without making too much noise in the woods in pitch black with a headlamp almost a mile in. Which is why they are there! Haha good luck everyone!
Old 11-13-2020, 07:52 AM   #38
Brian248

Good morning, anyone want to share your story of how you setup a hunting camp in a remote location in the Adirondacks? (How/why you picked the location, challenges you faced, things you’d do differently) Be careful with long responses might have to write in notes first and copy paste, I’ve had the forum “time-out” on me if I take too long to write.
Old 11-14-2020, 03:48 PM   #39
skillzman1

Well, sometimes Mother Nature, or God, or chance, just shines on you. I went to a friends property in Hadley this morning. Got there at 7:35 am. Met with my BIL and sent him off in a direction I had been seeing activity. Told him I would work around through the lower swamp area and see if anything flushed out towards him.
Walked by the house and waved at my buddies wife inside as I crossed the driveway. Loaded my rifle at the corner of the garage and headed for the edge of the swamp as I walked down the lawn to the back yard.
Made it all of 40' down the lawn and I see a deer rounding the back hill coming out of the woods. 'HE'S GOT A RACK!!!!' I said to myself.
Pulled the Savage .308 Scout up and drew the cross hairs of the scope on the ATV trail he was about to step into. He stepped in and gave me that 'Oh No' pause and I drilled him in the right front shoulder, quartering towards, he made a 50' circle and expired in the swamp grass.
I had to drag him into the woods to dress him out. Backed the truck down in the backyard and loaded him. Easiest drag ever!!
I don't really feel like it was comparable as 'hunting' when you factor in some of the terrain that I have struggled through. Ledges, 1000' feet of elevation, swamps, rain, briars, thicket single digit temps, all to come up empty handed and worn out. But, I suppose it all evens out in the end. You take the gift when it's given to you.
Now the work begins tomorrow with the skinning and butchering!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buck2020.jpg (134.5 KB, 145 views)
Old 11-14-2020, 06:57 PM   #40
geogymn

Congratulations! You were there and connected. It all counts!