Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
solve4x
Thankful Every Day!

Clothing for Spring paddling

I've only been a fair weather paddler. Wondering what people wear for spring paddling. I see there are lots of drysuit /wet suit options, most of them pricey. I would think keeping your core warm is the key to surviving a spring canoe dump....so, what do you 3 season paddlers wear when it's cold?
"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father." Matthew 10:29 "But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows."
Luke 12:7
solve4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
MOrnstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by solve4x View Post
I've only been a fair weather paddler. Wondering what people wear for spring paddling. I see there are lots of drysuit /wet suit options, most of them pricey. I would think keeping your core warm is the key to surviving a spring canoe dump....so, what do you 3 season paddlers wear when it's cold?
This time of year a dry suit with poly pro or similar and fleece underneath it is the best option. The best dry suits are made of Goretex or a similar breathable membrane. Some have attached booties. Mine is an older, non-breathable suit, but it does the job.

The next best option is a wetsuit. It can also be worn over polypro. A splash jacket and splash pants can be worn over it for added warmth. If wearing a wetsuit, a spare set of poly pro should be carried in a dry bag.

Once things warm up a bit, I'll begin paddling in nylon pants/shirt with fleece or poly pro underneath. I'll carry spare clothing and a towel in a dry bag.

If I'm paddling on open water where there may be a substantial delay in reaching shore or if I'm paddling white water, I stay with the dry suit or wetsuit options until the water temps have increased substantially.

Marc Ornstein
Dogpaddle Canoe Works
Custom Paddles and Cedar Strip Canoes
MOrnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:39 PM   #3
daxs

I wear a long sleeved, long leg wet suit over a techwick top and spandex workout shorts. I wear a semi dry top over that. Wool sox. Wool hat. spray skirt is a must. A good spray skirt will really keep help to keep your legs and feet warm. I wear neoprene gloves and neoprene booties. dress for the water temp not the air temp. Know how to get out, right and get back into your boat if you dump. I carry a wool or fleece top/jacket, pack towel and some dry cloths and gloves in a dry bag too. thermos of something warm to drink.
daxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:32 AM   #4
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

and a PFD, as required by law in the spring and fall now.

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:39 AM   #5
daxs

For me a PFD is a given for any season for any paddle.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:48 AM   #6
fisher39

HEADNET! I used to think they were only for the weak, but if you're out during bug season and get into one of those spots with just the right conditions for the blackflies (calm, humid, perfect temperature, etc.) you are going to be grateful you have one no matter how much 100% DEET you douse on yourself. Most of the time I don't use it but when they start swarming so thick you start breathing shallowly so you don't fill your lungs with them, it's a lifesaver. I love the sweet taste of blackflies as much as anyone else, but there comes a point where I've had my fill. You can get them for next to nothing at Walmart.
fisher39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:13 PM   #7
solve4x
Thankful Every Day!

Good advice
Any other favorite brands or sources of cold water paddling garments?
Polypro looks like a good, insulating base layer.
"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father." Matthew 10:29 "But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows."
Luke 12:7
solve4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:51 AM   #8
WillisB

Regardless of how you are dressed you need a ditch kit.
WillisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:25 AM   #9
daxs

Honestly, I multi task my clothes; except for the wet suit and dry top I use the same clothing/undergarments for hiking, paddlingm biking. I carry a set of dry clothes in a dry bag when paddling just in case.