Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2021, 08:24 AM   #1
richard70

1912 Rock?

While hiking the Sand Lake Falls trail last summer, I came across a small sign reading "1912 Rock" next to a large rock just north of the trail. This was approximately 1.8 miles east from Mill Brook. Picture is attached. Google searches came up with nothing. The only thing I can think of is that this area was surveyed in 1912 for the McKeever topographic map. Perhaps this rock was a reference point foe part of the survey? Does anyone have any information on this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200916_134401.jpg (150.2 KB, 119 views)
richard70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 08:52 AM   #2
montcalm
Mobster

I have no idea, but I bet someone from here would know:

The sign looks like someone cares about it.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 04:12 PM   #3
richard70

When I couldn't find anything with Google search, my first inclination was to contact the Trackside Blazers. I contacted them via email, but they knew nothing about the "1912 Rock". It's still a mystery.
Old 04-27-2021, 04:15 PM   #4
montcalm
Mobster

Wow - weird. Well someone knows because they put that sign there and from the looks or it, not too long ago.

Did you contact the Ranger or AFR for that region?

Maybe something to do with logging past or a past private owner?
Old 04-28-2021, 07:43 AM   #5
richard70

Haven't checked with the ranger. Will do that when I get up to my camp this summer.
Old 04-28-2021, 08:06 AM   #6
montcalm
Mobster

Richard - I did a little searching last night. There was an active mill at McKeever at that time period and I looked through historical notes from BRWF UMP... nada.

I'd contact this museum:

https://www.webbhistory.org/McKeever_Early_History.htm

I'd actually guess that Bear Creek Rd was access to whatever this was. Not sure on any history of this road, but usually if a decent route exists from logging it gets converted to an access road or trail.
Old 04-28-2021, 11:38 AM   #7
bridgeman

Any marks, bolts or disc on the boulder?
bridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 05:47 PM   #8
richard70

Didn't check the boulder for markings but will be exploring the area again this summer and will definitely do that. Lots of logging in that area. The mill was at McKeever and there was a logging railroad heading east from there about 3 miles to a large logging camp. Trail guides mention an abandoned trail north from the Sand Lake Falls trail that used to lead to the site of a logging camp. Also there is a clearing north of the Sand Lake Falls trail about 1 mile east of Mill Brook. It was the site of a logging camp. I've found various logging artifacts there, and the 1912 topo shows a building at that site (couldn't find any sign of the building).
Old 04-28-2021, 06:33 PM   #9
montcalm
Mobster

I bet it's the elevation of the rock, actually.

Whereabouts was it in relation to the building I circled in red? That should be at 1780' elevation. If the rock is east of there, that's likely what the number means.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled presentation (1).jpg (93.6 KB, 78 views)
Old 04-28-2021, 07:20 PM   #10
richard70

It is about .8 miles east of that building. Plausible theory, but I think .8 miles east would put you a little higher than 1912. I'll have to check out the boulder more closely this summer for a survey marker or other identifying information.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:26 PM   #11
montcalm
Mobster

1912 was the year of the publication, not the survey. That was done in 1910. Elevation seems more likely. If you have an altimeter watch or GPS you should be able to verify this pretty quickly. If it's within 20' I'd say that's likely what it is.

I wonder if there were just not a lot of "hard" points around so they picked that as a reference. A number of reference elevations are marked on the map, but not that... doesn't mean anything. I'm sure they had a number of different points to work from in the survey.

I'd bet there is no other mark, that's why the sign is there.

The question I'd have is who put the sign there? Who is maintaining the elevation reference, if it is such?

Last edited by montcalm; 04-28-2021 at 10:32 PM..
Old 04-29-2021, 07:55 AM   #12
richard70

I have a GPS watch so I'll be able to check the elevation when I get back there. The sign itself is also something of a mystery. As you said, who put it there and who maintains it? Someone apparently thinks it is significant. The sign appears to be professionally made, not a homemade job, and it doesn't look that old. I'll have to check that out more carefully as well.
Old 04-29-2021, 08:32 AM   #13
montcalm
Mobster

Do you mind if I send your picture to the museum in Old Forge?

I'll send them an email and see if they know anything.

I've seen this type of sign somewhere else. It's not what the DEC would use, so I don't think they put it there. Seems like a private individual or group.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:40 AM   #14
Wldrns

If any description would be anywhere, I would expect it to have been mentioned by Barbara McMartin/Bill Ingrsoll in the Discover the Adirondack series of guidebooks. Virtrually every point on any trail is mentioned, especially if it has any visual or historical significance. But in a quick glance I could find no reference in the relevant sections of the guidebook on that trail.

I may try to get there later if it ever stops raining.
Black flies are just beginning to appear now (the annoying, but non-biting early hatch) in lower elevations near the SW edge of the Blue Line.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:15 AM   #15
richard70

Montcalm - Feel free to send the picture to the Old Forge museum. I sent it to the Trackside Blazers but they were unable to provide any information about it. Wldrns - I also have all of the Barbara McMartin books, but as you stated, although the trail descriptions are extremely detailed, there is no mention of the "1912 Rock".