Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2015, 11:40 AM   #21
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildYogiInTheWoods View Post
Thanks for sharing your trip photos! Wilderness paddling is definitely something I'd like to experience… I've been holding out on Pictured Rocks Natl. Lakeshore in Michigan in order to go by boat. Looks like I'll have to be heading back to the Adirondacks as well.

One more question before I dive into West Canada… Does one need a vehicle with AWD to plug along the dirt roads towards the trails? Or will my trusty compact car (Honda Fit) be sufficient?

Also (sorry that's 2), a bear canister isn't needed in this part of the park, right? Just Eastern High Peaks? I know I'll have to get one eventually, but I need to replace some other gear & I like to spread out financial pain & suffering.
Driving to the Pillsbury TH or the Spruce Lake TH (both via Perkins clearing/Sled Harbor) is doable via almost any car, tho' you (and your car) may not like the trip, but it's only a mile or so from Sled Harbor to Pillsbury TH.

Yes, it's just the Eastern High Peaks that you are required to have a bear canister. There are bears throughout the Park, it's just that there are more people in the High Peaks and the bears have grown accustomed to getting free meals from hikers bear bags. Bear bags are good in other parts of the park. You do know how to hang a bear bag???
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:52 PM   #22
WildYogiInTheWoods

Well, my car is overdue for new tires, think I'll get those done before rather than after this trip!

Stripperguy, I will share my impressions & pictures! It's been great to see here how passionate everyone is about the area. I promise to take good care of it and lnt. And thank you all for so patiently answering my questions, it's been a tremendous help and I'm sure I'll have more.

Dundee I do indeed know how to hang a bear-bag! There is a high correlation between rope-throwing success and the minute the person who's been watching you and laughing turns their back. And I maybe be teaching other Hoosiers soon… Indiana has had it's first bear siting in nearly 150 years last week!
WildYogiInTheWoods is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backpacking, holiday weekend, trip planning advice