Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2022, 08:32 PM   #1
Buckladd

Spring Turkeys '22

So, who is as pumped as I am for spring gobbler season? Not seeing a ton of birds but I do have a few gobblers located. Hunting some ag-lands this weekend with a youth. Looks promising, but I'm trying to get familiar with the farm. Hope everyone is seeing some birds.
Old 04-25-2022, 06:18 PM   #2
Tug Hill

I didn’t hunt spring turkey last year but with the price of poultry at the grocery store , I plan on putting 2 gobblers in the freezer come May. Also, Ive been seeing a ton of turkeys strutting, I think there’s a lot more 2 year old birds this spring because of good nesting conditions in 2020, so success rates should be high.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 06:38 PM   #3
St.Regis

I know of two kids that went out with their dads for youth weekend. Neither got any, but both worked birds. At least the gobblers are talking
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 11:08 PM   #4
theadkoutdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
So, who is as pumped as I am for spring gobbler season? Not seeing a ton of birds but I do have a few gobblers located. Hunting some ag-lands this weekend with a youth. Looks promising, but I'm trying to get familiar with the farm. Hope everyone is seeing some birds.
Im feeling confident for this years season. Ive got some nice birds on camera coming through the area everyday where I want to set up a blind. Ive never punched a tag for a turkey before but I think this year might be the year. Good luck to everyone else hunting this spring.
theadkoutdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 11:24 AM   #5
Buckladd

Came close with a youth Saturday morning. Had a good gobbler charging the decoys but he changed course when he saw another gobbler we hadn’t seen. It was behind us and busted us. From there it was pretty quiet, but the kid I took has that fire in his eye and I think he will be a future hunter. That’s what’s important about youth hunts.

Went scouting this morning and came upon three gobblers on a back road at 5:48am. It was still mostly dark, but they had flown down already. Seemed weird, but I know where I’ll be at that time Sunday morning. Good luck all, including you, ADKOutdoorsman, I hope you get that first gobbler. It'll become an addiction!
Old 05-08-2022, 08:15 AM   #6
Tug Hill

Tagged my 2nd longbeard yesterday morning. It was cold in the morning should have wore my long underwear. Lots of birds, and little hunting pressure in my area.
Also had a coyote bust a gobbler in front of me last Wed., and saw a bear as well.
Old 05-09-2022, 06:54 AM   #7
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug Hill View Post
Tagged my 2nd longbeard yesterday morning. It was cold in the morning should have wore my long underwear. Lots of birds, and little hunting pressure in my area.
Also had a coyote bust a gobbler in front of me last Wed., and saw a bear as well.
Wow! That must of been quite the show!
Old 05-11-2022, 09:29 PM   #8
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug Hill View Post
Way to go Tug! I got a nice mountain bird opening morning and three toms have been avoiding me ever since. Can't get them away from the hens. But, I called in a bobcat one morning and saw a woodcock on another, a rarity in these parts. I like the colder weather and early part of the season.
Old 05-12-2022, 06:16 AM   #9
Tug Hill

Buckladd, congrats on your bird, one good thing with cold mornings, it keeps the black flies at bay until it warms up. Very cool to call in a bobcat. A lot of predators out there hunting turkeys.
Old 05-12-2022, 07:43 AM   #10
geogymn

Buckladd, Bobcat? That's wild! What a fun experience. Love the spring woods!
Old 05-12-2022, 06:44 PM   #11
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
Buckladd, Bobcat? That's wild! What a fun experience. Love the spring woods!
For sure, it all took place in a matter of about 10 seconds. It came in and snuck away just as quick and quiet as could be. First one I've seen in a long time.
Old 05-15-2022, 08:20 AM   #12
mgc

My St. Lawrence County honey hole was a tough hunt last week. There were birds. I could hear them, and I saw them later in the day, just not where I had access to them. They are definitely henned up. I have had this same problem in past years. Rather than continue to torture myself or educate the birds I'm sitting tight for another week. Hopefully the Toms will start doing some wandering. Either that or I'm going to need to figure out a way to get across a deep cold brook. When there's frost on the ground that is not very appealing. When it's in the 60's at 4:00 I might need to go for it.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote