Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2015, 07:28 AM   #1
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Corey's Rd Camping

Hi All -

I'm taking the Scout troop up this weekend to hike Seymour...our plan is to arrive later this evening and camp in one of the designated spots along Corey's, and then hike in tomorrow AM, drop gear at one of the lean-tos and hike to the summit. After - return to the lean to and camp Saturday evening and then out Sunday morning for a meet up with other Troops at Massawepie on Sunday.

I have a couple of questions I was hoping you could help with:

1. Are the campsites along Corey's easy enough to spot when we arrive tonight? How full do they usually get?

2. It appears from the new ADK maps that both Blueberry and Ward Brook lean-tos have tent sites in the vicinity, but that #3 and 4 do not...is this correct?

3. How far from the Seymour trail turn-off are #3 and 4 lean-tos?

and...
4. If you were staying at one of these, which is the preferred lean-to? It seems water is close to all of them, but are there any that stand out?

Thanks...

Scott
“Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:13 AM   #2
Trail Boss

1)
If I recall correctly, there are eight numbered sites. The road is bordered by drainage ditches so when you see an opening, chances are it is the entrance to a campsite. Having said that, there are two or three entrances to tote roads, not campsites, but you'll recognize them because they lack a numbered sign.

2,3)
I'm unfamiliar with the areas around lean-to's 3 and 4.

4)
Ward Brook lean-to is located in a clearing and has a picnic table.

FWIW, if I were to camp, I'd choose the designated campsite at the intersection of Caulkins road and the Horse Trail. Less distance to haul overnight gear and ideally located to day-hike the Seward Range via Caulkins trail and, the following day, Seymour.
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:42 AM   #3
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

Axton landing has plenty of room for your troop and is easy to get to.
Both leantos have water an tent sis. There is also Camp 4 a little ways past wardbrook, They are almost never used, I like camp 4 because of that,
Cold River Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:18 AM   #4
WinterWarlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
1)

FWIW, if I were to camp, I'd choose the designated campsite at the intersection of Caulkins road and the Horse Trail. Less distance to haul overnight gear and ideally located to day-hike the Seward Range via Caulkins trail and, the following day, Seymour.
Thanks Taras...this was actually one thought we had, but since I'm not going up Seymour with them, and headed back to Massawepie Saturday morning, we decided not to do this. I'm still recovering from knee surgery, and am not able to carry a pack in anywhere just yet.

Your other info is helpful...thanks!
“Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada
Old 10-09-2015, 09:19 AM   #5
WinterWarlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold River Bob View Post
Axton landing has plenty of room for your troop and is easy to get to.
Both leantos have water an tent sis. There is also Camp 4 a little ways past wardbrook, They are almost never used, I like camp 4 because of that,

Thanks...I was hoping someone had info on 3 or 4...and think that may be a good choice for us.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:30 AM   #6
Trail Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWarlock View Post
3. How far from the Seymour trail turn-off are #3 and 4 lean-tos? ...
Approximately 0.6 miles. http://caltopo.com/m/0H6K

I drew a red line, named "Trail", along the road from the Seymour junction to lean-to's 3 & 4. In the left hand menu, click Trail's "Elevation Profile" icon (it looks like a graph). It will display the trail's distance and elevation profile.
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:53 PM   #7
WiseFool
Backpacker

I was up there camping last night. Nearly all of the drive-in campsites on Corey's Rd were claimed by smaller, hitch-mounted campers. Most of them looked like they had been parked there for months, judging from the condition of them, stacks of firewood, etc. Does anyone have any info on this? I was under the impression that these campsites were first-come first-served, with a 3-day maximum stay, like any other in the park. Thanks
WiseFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:11 PM   #8
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

They might have permits for hunting season.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:03 PM   #9
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Cold River Bob is probably correct. During the big game season, you can get a permit to maintain a temporary camp for the entirety of the season. It's not uncommon to see campers setup at roadside campsites for the duration of hunting season, using these permits.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:42 PM   #10
Hard Scrabble

I'm not really sure about that "D".
Back country sites off the road can be allowed for the hunting season with a permit from the local ranger.
I think that road side sites can be occupied for only three days, like lean to's.
Axton Landing is a road side site.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 01:43 AM   #11
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
I'm not really sure about that "D".
Back country sites off the road can be allowed for the hunting season with a permit from the local ranger.
I think that road side sites can be occupied for only three days, like lean to's.
Axton Landing is a road side site.
Jim
I'm not aware of any general prohibition (regulatory or internal DEC policy) on the issuing of the hunting camp permits for roadside campsites. However, the ranger issuing the permits for their patrol area does have some discretion about the locations of the site- so while it is possible that, in some specific instances, a permit might not be issued for a particular roadside site, this isn't true of roadside sites in general.

The best example that shows that hunting camp permits can indeed be obtained for roadside campsites would be the Moose River Plains. If you were to take a drive through the plains this time of year, you would see quite a few tents and trailers, clearly set up for the duration of the season, all with the camping permit clearly displayed in a ziplock bag on the exterior of the shelter.

Last edited by DSettahr; 10-13-2015 at 08:38 AM..
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:18 AM   #12
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

Best way to find out is get in touch with Dec in Raybrook, I'm sure they could tell you.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:39 PM   #13
Bucknut
46er #7721

Be prepared to deal with the high volume of rats.
The serenity of a clear blue mountain lake" -John Denver
Bucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 05:25 AM   #14
randomscooter
Native Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknut View Post
This brings back memories of my one time camping on Coreys Road. A moonlit night, shadows of mice sprawled out all over the roof of my tent. Kinda creepy, but funny too.

"Pushing the limits of easy."™
randomscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 05:36 AM   #15
WinterWarlock

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomscooter View Post
This brings back memories of my one time camping on Coreys Road. A moonlit night, shadows of mice sprawled out all over the roof of my tent. Kinda creepy, but funny too.
So when you say rats, you really mean rats??!!

Odd...the other night while camping at Massawepie something was walking around my tent in the middle of the night and lifted up the fly of my tent...I still don't know what it was!
Old 10-14-2015, 06:04 AM   #16
Bucknut
46er #7721

Maybe mice is the better description. Two tents & two small holes to patch later.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:30 AM   #17
randomscooter
Native Earthling

rodents of unusual size

Old 10-14-2015, 03:52 PM   #18
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
I'm not aware of any general prohibition (regulatory or internal DEC policy) on the issuing of the hunting camp permits for roadside campsites. However, the ranger issuing the permits for their patrol area does have some discretion about the locations of the site- so while it is possible that, in some specific instances, a permit might not be issued for a particular roadside site, this isn't true of roadside sites in general.

The best example that shows that hunting camp permits can indeed be obtained for roadside campsites would be the Moose River Plains. If you were to take a drive through the plains this time of year, you would see quite a few tents and trailers, clearly set up for the duration of the season, all with the camping permit clearly displayed in a ziplock bag on the exterior of the shelter.
"D",
The road to Axton Landing is a "town" road, while the roads in the Moose River Plains are limited access in a primitive?? camping area.
I don't think that anyone could get a "duration" of the season permit on the road to Axton Landing.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:33 PM   #19
Bucknut
46er #7721

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomscooter View Post
I swear I saw that rodent at the dysfunction junction campsite. Or maybe it was Cheney's pond That's some bad acting and cinematography.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:50 AM   #20
randomscooter
Native Earthling

Quote:
I swear I saw that rodent at the dysfunction junction campsite. Or maybe it was Cheney's pond That's some bad acting and cinematography.
That one may have been a dysplaced nutria.

From your comment you clearly haven't seen Princess Bride. Best children's movie ever produced. Really. I must've watched it with my kids a hundred times.