Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
Adam317

Hour Pond Leanto / trail info

Greetings All,
I plan on doing a overnight trip to a lean-to this winter and have been looking into the Hour Pond lean to. I am not familiar with this area and would like some feedback on the trail/area and the lean-to. Is this a very busy area ? Would snow shoes be good for this trail? Thank you in advance
Adam317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
dundee

It *CAN* be a moderately busy area. It's no where near as busy as the High Peaks, but it's not unused either. You may find the trail has been broken, or you you may find that no one has been there for weeks. That's the poop on the backcountry.

SS are great on this trail, and right now are necessary, and skis might be nice given good conditions.

Plan for the worst: that no one has been there all winter and that you have to break trail and that it will be -30 and snowing.

Take a good tent. The lean-to may be occupied and besides, a tent is warmer.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
Adam317

I figured that this trail would be good for SS. I always have a fear of planning a trip and arriving at the register to find someone will be at the lean to for the entire time I plan on camping. Do you know how far old farm rd is plowed into the trail head?
Old 12-31-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
Adam317

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
Take a good tent. The lean-to may be occupied and besides, a tent is warmer.
I was thinking about experimenting with my hammock set up to make it slightly warmer for winter but I figured it is a little easier to go to a lean to. I may end up using a tentů
Old 12-31-2012, 01:37 PM   #5
Alpine1

What is your planned starting point, 13th LK or Old farm Th?
The trail from OF is broken to the intersection that leads to Hour Pd, can't remember the distance from that point 3+ miles I'd guess. If not broken out since we were by there on sat it will be a tough go specially if traveling alone. From 13th there is a TR from a guy who tried to summit Peaked. He'll know if the trail to Hour was broken out.
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
woj

I broke out the trail toward Peaked Mountain from Thirteenth Lake. We started up Peaked Mountain Brook instead of continuing toward Hour Pond. As of Friday, the trail to Hour Pond was not broke out from the Peaked Mountain trail intersection.
woj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:25 PM   #7
Bill I.

In my opinion, the Hour Pond lean-to is a poor choice for winter camping because there is no nearby source of water.

I backpacked there last New Year's Day with the intent of staying in the lean-to. It is a sheltered location, set back from the shore (which in winter is a bonus). But there are no streams within easy reach, and when the pond is frozen over you would need an ax to break through the ice. So when I was there last year, it was like being in a desert. I gave up on the lean-to and moved to a designated tent site further up the trail, where there was better water access.

Last year there was only an old crusty layer of snow, though. Right now it might be more feasible to melt snow for drinking water.
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:57 PM   #8
Adam317

Great info...everyone.
Alpine1 I planned on going to the old farm TH which based on the map I am looking at it is the closer to the pond.
http://warrencountyny.gov/GIS/pdf/Hi...%20Network.pdf "

Bill I. I really don’t mind no running water as I intend on doing some ice fishing anyway, but I would like to know if you have any other ideas for a lean to trip. I would like something with a hike under 2.5-3 miles and with water at the destination.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
chaser
pond jockey

Adam, You can't ice fish Hour Pond. Trout season is closed until April 1st.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:26 PM   #10
Adam317

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaser View Post
Thank you for the information i did not see that on DECs website.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:37 PM   #11
Alpine1

thread drift :)

IMHO it's a poor lean-to site since it's SO far from the pond. We visited the lean-to earlier this fall, no leaves, you could see the pond, with leaves on the trees you might not even know there was water around!!!
I wonder if moving them so far from the water has an ulterior motive than LNT/environmental impact issues! Like minimize usage altogether.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #12
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam317 View Post
I intend on doing some ice fishing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaser View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam317 View Post
Thank you for the information i did not see that on DECs website.
If you go to the Fishing Section on the DEC website, click Summary of Freshwater Fishing Regulations, then click Special Regulations by County, scroll down and click the appropriate county...Hour Pond is in Warren County Special Fishing Regulations.

Not hard to find regs if you look for them.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #13
Buster Bear
Trail Bum

Quote:
Posted by: Bill I.
In my opinion, the Hour Pond lean-to is a poor choice for winter camping because there is no nearby source of water.
Wouldn't water be all around you in white fluffy form?
CL50 #49
Buster Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:49 PM   #14
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill I. View Post
In my opinion, the Hour Pond lean-to is a poor choice for winter camping because there is no nearby source of water.....

Last year there was only an old crusty layer of snow, though. Right now it might be more feasible to melt snow for drinking water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Bear View Post
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:05 PM   #15
Bill I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Bear View Post
Not everyone wants to carry half a gallon of white gas to make a few ounces of water ... which more often than not will be filled with twigs and spruce needles. I tried melting snow as a source of water once on a winter camping trip years ago -- and only once. I now categorize that technique as Plan C.

Plan A (for me) is to simply pick a campsite within easy reach of a small stream.

But if the original poster had been planning to ice fish at Hour Pond, then I suppose this is a moot point.
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:54 PM   #16
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine1 View Post
IMHO it's a poor lean-to site since it's SO far from the pond. We visited the lean-to earlier this fall, no leaves, you could see the pond, with leaves on the trees you might not even know there was water around!!!
I wonder if moving them so far from the water has an ulterior motive than LNT/environmental impact issues! Like minimize usage altogether.
I believe that the APA mandates that all new lean-tos must be constructed at least 100 feet from water. All lean-tos that were previously built within 100 feet of water are allowed to remain until they are in need of significant repair or replacement- at which point they are moved back to conform to the 100 foot rule (examples: Spruce Lake #1, Spruce Lake #2).

The reason for this is what you stated- minimizing impact. The riparian zone (the boundary between water and land) is extremely sensitive to impacts, including camping impacts- hence the 150 foot rule for primitive camping. Since lean-tos tend to draw a lot of use, and therefore impact, they are being relocated away from water.

I'm going to be in this area myself for an overnight in the near future- I'll try to get a trip report posted afterwards.
DSettahr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:18 AM   #17
Alpine1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
I believe that the APA mandates that all new lean-tos must be constructed at least 100 feet from water. All lean-tos that were previously built within 100 feet of water are allowed to remain until they are in need of significant repair or replacement- at which point they are moved back to conform to the 100 foot rule (examples: Spruce Lake #1, Spruce Lake #2).

The reason for this is what you stated- minimizing impact. The riparian zone (the boundary between water and land) is extremely sensitive to impacts, including camping impacts- hence the 150 foot rule for primitive camping. Since lean-tos tend to draw a lot of use, and therefore impact, they are being relocated away from water.

I'm going to be in this area myself for an overnight in the near future- I'll try to get a trip report posted afterwards.
150', bring your tape measure...LOL
Old 01-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #18
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine1 View Post
150', bring your tape measure...LOL
For a adult, it's approximately 30 paces (remember that a pace is actually 2 steps, so 60 regular steps). Good rule of thumb to remember in the woods when you're looking for a legal spot to set up camp.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #19
Adam317

I think I may just take a day trip into hour pond, I'll post trail conditions if I do. Anyone have any suggestions for an area that has good ice fishing.

Last edited by Adam317; 01-02-2013 at 09:20 PM..
Old 01-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #20
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

2 friends and I went from King's Flow to the Old Farm trailhead this weekend, spending 1 night each at the Eastern Puffer Pond lean-to and at the Hour Pond lean-to. The ice is thin enough still that you can easily break through it to get water.

Proper trip report to come when I have a chance (probably not until later this week).