Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2011, 09:09 AM   #1
fisher39

Moose Season

It looks like a group is making a push for a moose season:

http://outdoornews.com/new_york/news...871e3ce6c.html

A lottery system for a few permits seems like a great way to raise funds for the DEC. I'm not dying to hunt moose, but they certainly seem plentiful enough in good habitat and I'd pay $10 to put my name in the hat.
fisher39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
St.Regis

I think it's a great idea. A lot of people would pay for a chance at a moose permit. Adding a few bucks would certainly help off-set the costs for a moose management program.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
ALGonquin Bob
Lake Lila - Low's Lake carry

I'm in the Adirondacks frequently, and have yet to see a moose. There may never be enough of them in New York for the DEC to allow hunting because the climate change (warming) that is taking place may drive the moose back out of NYS before their numbers grow to the point where a hunting season could be justified for population control. Plenty of moose in Cananda, though.

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W
ALGonquin Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:32 AM   #4
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Regis View Post
I think it's a great idea. A lot of people would pay for a chance at a moose permit. Adding a few bucks would certainly help off-set the costs for a moose management program.
The moose seem to be managing fine on their own. Don't need a program.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:34 AM   #5
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

Interesting, the population is definately growing. Gosh, I couldn't imagine how to get one out though with the ATV laws as they are.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:55 AM   #6
bassanglers912

Wow, we have 500+ moose in the state and now that's too many?? I think that this is absolutely absurd. Just as the population is starting to establish itself we want to 'manage' it. Maybe they should just manage them into Vermont.
Too bad we can't charge $10 bucks to view them instead.
How about a photo contest that costs $15 to enter to raise money??
bassanglers912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:03 AM   #7
Creekwader
Snag Locator

I'm not opposed to this in principle but doesn't it seem a bit premature? Nobody really knows how many moose are out there, all we've seen are WAGs from the DEC. Timber damage? Sounds kind of fishy to me.
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:03 AM   #8
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/20...ork-moose.html

It's not the size of the population but the distribution. I'd rather have the herd hunted and not spread disease as rapidly. Seems like a waste to just cull them, might as well get some meat out of it and generate some revenues.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:05 AM   #9
Commissionpoint
Tent Pitcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin QAAD View Post
Interesting, the population is definately growing. Gosh, I couldn't imagine how to get one out though with the ATV laws as they are.
Clean and quarter it. It might take you a few trips.
Commissionpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:27 AM   #10
fisher39

The primary justification for this in my mind would be to provide the funds and a reason for the DEC to study and monitor the population - issue 5 permits, charge $10 bucks to get your name in the hat, and I'm pretty sure the DEC would have the money and motivation they need to give this species the attention it deserves.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:36 AM   #11
St.Regis

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
The moose seem to be managing fine on their own. Don't need a program.
I believe that the biologists should be on the front end of the curve with this, and we as well get the ball rolling now. A limited moose hunt would be great in my opinion. Hunting zones in areas where the most moose-auto incidents would be a a good start. Maybe a bull-only season until the herd gets over a certain number. Plenty of options for a good program.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #12
Commissionpoint
Tent Pitcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher39 View Post
The primary justification for this in my mind would be to provide the funds and a reason for the DEC to study and monitor the population - issue 5 permits, charge $10 bucks to get your name in the hat, and I'm pretty sure the DEC would have the money and motivation they need to give this species the attention it deserves.
Agreed. If you issued 5 permits, maybe you would have 2 or 3 successful hunters. Maybe none depending on the skills/abilities of who won the lottery. You sure would have hundreds of applicants. That would translate into thousands of dollars to spend on biological studies.

My buddy John has been entering the lottery in NH for over a decade. In 2010 he got a permit and a moose. Moose lasagna = good.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:42 PM   #13
bobadkhunter

This was talked about in the "Adirondak Wildlife " section about a month or 2 ago. I had a trail cam set up near the Whitney, Lake Lila state lands on a hunting club and got 7 pictures of a real nice bull moose. I sent these to Steve Litwiler(head Biologist I believe) from the Watertown DEC office. He emailed me back and said the DEC believes that the moose pop. is now above 1000. I believe it is time for a very limited lottery(maybe 50-75) , bulls only , see what Vermont and Maine and NH charge for their permits. This could be win-win for hunting enthusiast and the state. I personnally have seen 2 bulls and they truly are an impressive animal up close and personal. As far as getting one "out" , where there's a will there's a way.
bobadkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:03 PM   #14
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

Way too soon for a moose season here. IMHO population should at least reach 2,000 or so. What's the rush?
Old 12-16-2011, 10:37 PM   #15
JW

I love the idea of using this as a revenue source... but will our state govenment figure out how to loose money on it _ I would guarantee it.....I am all for it if the funds get used properly.
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:06 AM   #16
Buster Bear
Trail Bum

Moose hunt? Can't wait...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moose hunt.jpg (118.7 KB, 143 views)
CL50 #49
Buster Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:38 AM   #17
Commissionpoint
Tent Pitcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobadkhunter View Post
I believe it is time for a very limited lottery(maybe 50-75) , bulls only , see what Vermont and Maine and NH charge for their permits.
WOAH there Mr. shooty pants. 5-7 maybe. Certainly not 50 to 75. 50 to 75 hundred applicants at 20 bux each perhaps. 5-10 permits. Don't be silly. Don't kill this idea before it even gets off the ground please.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:44 AM   #18
Commissionpoint
Tent Pitcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Bear View Post
Moose hunt? Can't wait...
Ford and Toyota people. Chevy and GMC people would never stand for this sort of thing. Lucky for me I drive Mercedes.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:11 AM   #19
bobadkhunter

With the moose herd growing as fast as the DEC says it is(just 3-4 years ago they stated 500-600, now a bit over 1000) I don't think 50-75 permits would be out of line .I doubt the success rate would be that high. If the state allowed 5-10 permits at $20 per I doubt they would receive a lot of applicants, but at 50-75 permits , I believe you'd have alot of interest making it worth while to apply. Even in Vt. it usually takes years before your # comes in. I'd like to know DEC's goal #'s wise that they would consider a season, because I gotta believe the pop. will be up to 2000 in a very short time.
bobadkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:19 PM   #20
fisher39

I don't think the moose population needs to be controlled at this point. The rush for a moose season in my mind is the fact that the DEC doesn't have the money or motivation to monitor or study the population. To me this is insane given the fact that it is the animal species that 98% of us would be most excited to see, it is and will be a significant tourist draw, and it will be one of the first to be impacted by climate change. The DEC should be producing something like this on an annual basis - http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/recreat...urvey_2011.pdf

The legislation that establishes the moose season should require that revenue from ticket sales be earmarked for studying the moose population. So what's the right number of available permits and price point to maximize revenue? I think 50-75 would be pushing it - you are likely to get a lot more resistance to that, than say 5 which no one would claim would put a dent in the population.

In games of chance, no one crunches the numbers - they just look at what they might get in the highly unlikely even that their name is drawn. To me, I'd definitely pay $10 for a very small chance that I'd be able to hunt an Adirondack moose, ESPECIALLY if I am assured that my $10 would go towards the study of the moose population.

I say allow anyone to purchase a ticket - perhaps those who don't want to see moose hunted will buy up a substantial number of tickets. That'd be fine with me - more money for the research. If the population actually becomes a problem and revenue isn't an issue, then they could limit the lottery to hunters only.