Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
coldfeet

Newbi here!

Long time lurker and finally first time poster. Wanted to thank everyone here for all of your posts over the last year. So many informative posts and responses. I was lucky to go paddling last year with a few friends on a 4 day trip from Old Forge to Long Lake. I would be lying if I told you I loved every second of it only because I used a 17ft poly touring kayak The carries even with wheels were a killer but being out there was well worth it. I saw a few people walk real fast past me carrying canoes, hmmm wonder what they were paddling I thought

Fast foward to 2011, after reading a ton of posts and trying different type of boats I purchased a Placid RF from Joe. I finally got to use it on the Oswagotchie (sp?) on a 4 day trip the beginning of this month, my knees loved it!

Now the boat sits in my "mancave" which my wife has now renamed our garage waiting until next spring vacation. Hopefully ice will be out and I can continue to explore the ADK's.....thx Coldfeet
coldfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
ADKpete

welcome to the forum c/f
Old 11-29-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
Dick
somewhere out there...

Hi Coldfeet! Welcome! But "newbi"?? I don't think so!

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:11 PM   #4
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Welcome Mr. feet!!
Now's the time to ponder and plan for next season...What's on your list?
With that 28 lb speedster, nothing's out of reach.
So what'll it be, a down river trip on the Raquette? Or maybe some pond hopping around St Regis? Or maybe the LTL to Lila Traverse? Or Lila to Lows?
Oh, and you do have a camera, don't you? Please to share, some of us can't get out as much as we would like, and need to travel vicariously...
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:14 AM   #5
WillisB

Welcome!
Old 11-30-2011, 03:28 PM   #6
MikeT

Welcome to the ADK Forum, a place where wool clad paddlers sip white wine, nibble on an appropriate cheese, and speak in hushed and civil tones about the great outdoors - well, maybe not all the time.

Winter: a time to dream and plan; spring, summer and fall: a time to play and paddle.

Joe and Jan are great people to deal with.

Hope to see you on the the water!

Mike
Old 11-30-2011, 07:54 PM   #7
Riosacandaga
soggy

Have you considered a drysuit to extend your paddling season? My paddling gear never gets put away. Even though it's the 'Southern' Adirondacks I've managed a paddling trip every month of the year within the Blue Line.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:16 PM   #8
Vermont Scott

Gotta love the RapidFire! Picked mine up in Spring 2010 but didn't get to use it much that year and that was definitely a sin. Got out a lot more this summer but no overnights : (
Next year I'm planning on a LOT more paddling!

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new toy!
Old 12-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #9
yellowcanoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
Winter: a time to dream and plan; spring, summer and fall: a time to play and paddle.

Nah winter spring summer and fall a time to paddle. MY RF gets a lot of water time in the winter..( I live near salt water!)

Winter is tough..to paddle..snowshoe or ski.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:27 PM   #10
coldfeet

Hi Dick, long time since JayH Catskill gathering, hope all is well.

Little background on my part. Started hiking Catskills and ADK app 7 years ago, mostly Catskills because I live on Long Island so shorter distance. Finished my Catskill peaks and then had many maniscus tears in both knees, thus found out about kayaking on Long Island and gave up hiking for a while. Had total knee replacement almost 1 year ago. Then met friends who paddled ADK's and my first trip was Long Lake and yes I bought a dry suit. My eyes looked like this when wearing it. Oh I forgot paddling Little Tupper a few years back with JayH from a hiking website.

I own a 17ft poly wilderness tempest and no I don't know how to roll it, I shoulkd because it's tipsy. Bought a great Pungo 12ft and I've done a few campouts out with that, last one on Mullica River in Jersey, nice 1 nighter if you get to their pine barrens. After the knee operation I looked at a few boats and decided on the RF. My friend Ray told me today that he placed his order for next March. I hope to join him on some AMC trips in the future. Which I believe is in the St. Regis area.

I bought a Cabellas waterproof type Bills bag and used it last month. I cut off their waist straps and sewed on an old padded belt so the weight could sit better but it didn't feel well on the carry from Site 25 to Five Ponds. On that carry I decided not to carry the RF because it was to tough for me so my other friends watched our boats at their site. I have a pack question and I was reading old posts, will ask it there. This weekend I'll try to get up pics, ps, got a few scratches on RF but I don't care, like someone else said "great memory marks"!

Thx for invite, hope to join you on an ADK paddling gathering. I set one up the last 2 years on the adkhighpeaks site, small turnouts, maybe next year we can have one.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #11
ALGonquin Bob
Lake Lila - Low's Lake carry

Welcome to the paddling forum, David, and congrats on your PBW! Last week, I bought a 32-lb. Wenonah Wilderness canoe to replace my 50-lb. solo. Oh, the joys of lightweight canoes! We have to do a trip together next year.

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W
ALGonquin Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:27 AM   #12
alistair

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfeet View Post
I own a 17ft poly wilderness tempest and no I don't know how to roll it, I shoulkd because it's tipsy.
We could get together at a local winter pool class and I'll help you learn how to roll ...... its fun.
alistair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:40 PM   #13
coldfeet

Bob, congrats on your purchase, looking forward to paddling out there some more. Spoke to my friend the other day and this year we just might go paddling down South in Maryland (April) instead of waiting for last minute ice out like we tried last year, all that planning was a waste, sorry.

Alistair, thx for the offer but let's see how my body feels after trying to get back into winter hiking. I have only 11 Catskill winter peaks left and I'd like to work on as many of those as possible, including some camping trips. This way my knees can go slowly and not hurt as much. Will keep you updated on it as I go. Want to try some a few days after Christmas because I'm off from school.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:36 AM   #14
alistair

Drop me a PM when you you plan to hit the Cats ..... I may be available to join you.
alistair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:10 PM   #15
coldfeet

pm sent