Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2020, 02:02 PM   #1
forest dweller

Any of you become an expert with a food dehydrator?

Any of you become an expert with a food dehydrator?

I LOVE the idea of removing the water (and WEIGHT!) from an assortment of delicious meals and foods, having them not spoil for up to a week or longer, and mostly bringing them back to life to eat by adding boiling water. I love going on backpacking trips for up to a week or longer but the few times I have my food caused my back to weigh a STARTLING amount on push off at the trail head. Any tips or books or websites or other resources that you'd recommend? I'd like to try to become a bit of an expert on this!

Also, can you dehydrate anything or does it not work for some things? Can I, say, make penne primavera, loaded with veggies and garlic, and just dry out all of the water, and then reconstitute the water back into it and have it taste the same and have the same nutritional value?
forest dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:49 PM   #2
Wldrns

Avoid all fat and oils as much as possible in any food you attempt to dehydrate. Keep all pieces small and of consistent size as much as possible. If you want to include the taste of, say, olive oil in something, carry a tiny bottle and add it after rehydrating.

Instead of large cut Penne pasta (though it may work), consider something of smaller size, such as angel hair or orzo, cut veggies small. Double bag, especially if pasta is sharp. Rehydrate most food completely by mixing with boiling water in a bag within an insulating cozy of some kind, 20-30 minutes. Do not cook over fire. Check midway, stir, and add more hot water if not getting soft. It is better to have soup than hard dry bits. It will turn out fine. Dehydrated food will in general lose 3/4 of its volume and 2/3 of its weight (or vice versa).

Recommend:
Mary Bell's Complete Dehydrator Cookbook

Linda Yaffe's Backpack Gourmet: Good Hot Grub You Can Make at Home, Dehydrate, and Pack for Quick, Easy, and Healthy Eating on the Trail

Both are on Amazon. Yaffe offers some oddball sounding recipes. Most are quite good. Try a few, treat them as a starting point for your own new idea modified creations.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:58 PM   #3
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
Rehydrate most food completely by mixing with boiling water in a bag within an insulating cozy of some kind, 20-30 minutes. Do not cook over fire.
I've never found this completely effective and have always had cold, chewy food.

I found adding a small amount of boiling water, then simmering whilst adding water and stirring to be the most effective way of getting a good, hot, consistent texture meal. I especially had trouble with pasta the other way. You could probably remedy that by just dehydrating the sauce and boiling non-cooked/dehydrated noodles fresh. The noodles themselves don't have a lot of moisture content and if are fresh pasta are naturally air dehydrated.

JME...
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:02 PM   #4
montcalm
Mobster

I guess I forgot to mention it in another thread, but one thing that's super easy to make as a backpacking meal is Parmesan cheese macaroni and cheese. Dry parmesan keeps quite a while and all you need is some dry spice and olive oil to make a really tasty "fresh" pasta. Just boil pasta, and mix dry ingredients (min salt and pepper) and parm and olive oil until you have a consistent mix. I usually carry this all the time as a "backup" dinner because it's super small and high calorie.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:49 PM   #5
Wldrns

If you have a good insulating cozy, most food should not get below satisfyingly hot and nicely rehydrated within 30 minutes. I only report what works for me and others I have been with using the same methods. In rare cases when food pieces are too large, I have resorted to external heat and and maybe several more minutes. Usually not required. Some kinds of food (I like to break up frozen and dehydrate hash brown bricks) come back perfectly in only 5 minutes with very little hot water. Top with separately rehydrated seasoned ground beef and a prepared packet of country gravy mix (that you must cook separately). yum.

1000 miles (6 days) racing on the Yukon, 7 paddlers in a Voyageur canoe, two major meals a day were prepared this way onboard with only the chef stopping his paddling. No one complained, no one wasted food or went hungry. The outfitter with us (Brian Mac) asked for leftover packages to take home. An Adirondack BSA camp trek director asked that I prepare trek meals for the whole season, same process.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:17 PM   #6
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Another book I recommend is: "A Fork in the Trail" by Laurie Ann March.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:34 PM   #7
montcalm
Mobster

Actually now that I remember, the cozy way (I don't think I had a proper one either) was always giving me a product that was too wet or too dry as well. I feel like to get it to cook well enough it was too wet and if I used less water and added some later it didn't cook well enough.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:36 PM   #8
Wldrns

that is why I open and check it mid way through the alloted time for proper hydration. Often more hot water is needed, as the initial filling is usually a semi-educated guess.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:02 PM   #9
forest dweller

Thanks everyone. Would be a really cool thing to master, and you could eat meals you actually enjoy instead of buying that heinous dehydrated stuff! Speaking of the heinous dehydrated stuff, are there any particular ones that you actually like?
Old 05-31-2020, 08:31 PM   #10
DuctTape
Out of Shape

I personally rehydrate in my cookpot. I cover the food with water, bring to a boil and move it away from the heat. Partly because I am too lazy to check on it and mostly because I abhor eating out of bags.

Old 05-31-2020, 10:40 PM   #11
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

I have often dried, and rehydrated leftover Chipotle burrito bowls...the portion is too large for a single meal and I actually look forward to drying the remnants. The taste is identical to the fresh meal.
I have also dried leftover Chinese take out, I'm fond of Szechuan chicken with extra hot pepper, again, the taste is identical.
From home cooked meals, goulash, leftover Mexican lasagna, tikka masala all work well.

I do use a home made cozy, and also would rather have a soggy meal than hard dry chunks. I use heavy weight vacuum freezer bags that I vacuum and seal at home.
The only drawback (for others, I don't care in the least) is that the see though bags allow the meals to show through...Some of the stuff looks decidedly pre-digested.

Bottom line, try it out at home and see what most pleases you. Better to find out at home than 20 miles in that a particular meal is not so great.
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:55 PM   #12
St.Regis

I learned a good trick for potatoes years ago. Slice them thin, dice them small, or hash them and blanch them before dehydrating. It makes rehydrating them much faster and they look better too. When everything else in your stew is cooked to perfection, but the potatoes need way more time to cook is not a good thing, especially when you're famished
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:31 PM   #13
forest dweller

Thanks everyone. What do you recommend I start with? stripperguy, seems like you have found success doing entire meals and having them come right back to life on the trail? I have a Chipotle right near me and I'm a fat slob! Tempting to start there! I also have a place up the road that does great fajitas, and an Italian place that does great penne primavera. I'm wondering how home made meatballs would do, especially if I cut them up afterwards and made them part of the sauce...making it into a meat sauce.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:20 PM   #14
bioguide

Here is a great online resouce:

https://www.backpackingchef.com/dehydrating-food.html

Old 06-03-2020, 09:00 AM   #15
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest dweller View Post
Thanks everyone. What do you recommend I start with? stripperguy, seems like you have found success doing entire meals and having them come right back to life on the trail? I have a Chipotle right near me and I'm a fat slob! Tempting to start there! I also have a place up the road that does great fajitas, and an Italian place that does great penne primavera. I'm wondering how home made meatballs would do, especially if I cut them up afterwards and made them part of the sauce...making it into a meat sauce.
Full meals works well. It is how I started.

I don't think fajitas will work too well. I suggest starting with things like "casseroles" and "stews". Pasta with meat sauce works very well. I have done meatballs. I make them very small, and even cut them up. One of my go-tos was "macaroni & meatballs". Not sure how it rehydrates using just boiling water in a bag as I boil in the pot. I find the heating of the water with the food makes a significantly superior end product in texture. This is more pronounced with meat based meals.I have found meat to rehydrate better when started in cold water. YMMV

edit: ChefGlen in bioguides link has a unique style to his methods. He and I were in contact many years ago. I think I might still have a draft copy of one of his books.