Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2006, 09:41 PM   #1
Kevin
**BANNED**

Protein shake mixes - best for strength training suppliment

I'm going to be starting a mild regimen of strength training. I expect to burn extra calories, so I need a "quick fix" and have some experience using protein shakes. The market is flooded with even more options since last I used them.

GNC makes an instantized whey variety and also a weight gainer version. I'm not entirely sure why the instantized whey is more expensive when it technically provides less nutrition and calories ounce for ounce compared to the weight gainer. Will just using a weight gainer be okay or is there something I'm missing?

???
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:39 AM   #2
percious
Transplanted

If you are starting a strength training regimen, yes, you can expect to burn a few more calories. Do you need a suppliment? Probably not. Will you need more calories? Definitely! What I found in the past is that I craved protein a lot more when I was lifting. I have pretty much stopped lifting now, because the muscle weight/benefit ratio is skewed when it comes to climbing. Working legs definitely helps hiking tho.

Anyway. You can probably get by by doubling your intake of meat. It is especially important to increase your calories after a hard work out because I find it reduces the amount of soreness you experience. Two chicken breasts instead of one... a whole can of tuna for lunch instead of half... you get the picture.

The great news is that you get to eat more more more!!! :-) I also did a lot of cardio when I was lifting regularly, as it helps reduce fat percentage.

Getting back to your original question. The only time I have used suppliments is actually out in the back-country for a quick breakfast. My supliment of choix, MetRx. Surprisingly palatable chocolate flavor. Many of the suppliments come in packet-form, which are a little cheaper (you may need to buy a whole box of them tho) to try out. Then you can go for the value-sized monster tub when you find what you like.

-percious
Old 09-25-2006, 09:15 AM   #3
Kevin
**BANNED**

Good idea about trying a few out. I've used Metrx before, the vanilla flavor with some chunked fruits thrown in worked well.

I'm focusing on my legs for the winter and future backpacking adventures. I don't want to increase my upper body much because I see it as dead weight. So long as I have enough strength to pull myself up (which I already do) I'm fine with that. Going to use ankle weights and the stair stepper a few times/week October through December. Then use it as off-week conditioning (for when the weather or scheduling doesn't permit hiking). I'm not looking to become a human hiking machine and wear my joints down sooner than later, just want that added edge when breaking trail that I don't feel I currently have. It's also important to me that I have the ability to help the group, which includes being able to keep up after a long day. I find winter hiking to be more strenuous despite the advantages (not rocks/trees, butt sliding) because of all the extra weight on my feet causing more work for my legs.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:52 AM   #4
Rookie
Dream Farmer

Training nutrition can get as complicated or as simple as you have time for.
For a guy who wants to take his strength and performance up a couple notches, you
probably don’t need anything more than a bunch of good food in as natural a form as you can get. Being aware of your body and the signals it sends you is a big part of it.
Rest and stretching is huge.
If you don’t have enough time to get a good mix of foods, supplements work.
Or, throw in some supplements along with your good diet to make sure you have everything covered. Armed with general knowledge of nutrition and the feedback from your body, you can figure things out as you go. It’s a journey not a destination.
This is a very gray area with many unmeasurable variables.
I think everyone starts from a different place in the way their bodies were constructed and nourished as they grew. I think everyones lifestyles, and diets have them operating in various states of deficiency. When you start to “take things up a notch” you have to “listen to the bod”.
The field of nutrition has developed so much it’s hard to know what to believe. When I boxed ,in the 70’s, we were told to break eggs into a glass and drink them raw-that was it ! Science mixed with commerce is tough to wade through.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:02 AM   #5
percious
Transplanted

Here's hoping you put Val on the "ankle strengthening" regimen as well.

-percious
Old 09-25-2006, 11:07 AM   #6
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Suck it up Guy.........

Forget all that sissy liquid stuff.........

Eat lots of red meat, (un)cooked rare, blood dripping, Pump lots of iron with your legs, concrete blocks attached to the ankles with velcro strips does wonders..

finish the workouts off with a cold shower and you're set to go!!!!!
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:15 AM   #7
kwc
loser

Kevin ... are you planning on just using a stair-stepper for your conditioning? You may want to do some other exercises or use other machines in order to round out your leg strengthening routine, I think the stair-stepper won't focus on all of the muscle groups that you'd need. Will you be using a gym/fitness center, or are you doing this at home? A gym/fitness center would give you more opportunities for your training ... but of course that costs some $$. I find that it's easier to maintain some sort of regimen by going to the gym ... too many distractions at home!

I always thought you were a sort of human hiking machine anyways ... although it does appear that Neil is the true human hiking machine in these parts!

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.
kwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:20 AM   #8
Little Rickie

I'm focusing on my legs for the winter and future backpacking adventures. I don't want to increase my upper body much because I see it as dead weight.

Going to use ankle weights and the stair stepper a few times/week October through December.

Just wear a heavy day pack. The high repetitions of ankle weights can cause a overuse injury.

Any source of low fat (not no fat) protein is fine: lean meat, fish, tuna, yogurt, low fat cottage cheese, eggs (yes eggs) and don't forget plenty unrefined complex carbohydrates (grains & beans).

Don't neglect your upper body, you need to keep your body balanced. You can't significantly strengthen one part of your body without increasing the strength of your whole body. Your lower back, erectors, lats & shoulders are all important hiking muscles and need to be in balance with your lower body.

I'd recommend simple basic free wt barbell: squats, calf rises, dead lifts, rows and over head presses. Toss in a few bench press & crunches. No need to do extra arm work if your basic sets are heavy enough. Three sets 8-12 reps as heavy as it needs to be so the last rep it work. When it gets easy increase the weight. Make sure you completely recover before your next workout.

Stick to the basics. There is no need for fancy wt lifting routines or supplements if your not an olympic athlete or have elite fitness goals.

"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."

William Shakespeare
Little Rickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 11:51 AM   #9
Kevin
**BANNED**

As expected great info in here...

I will be doing home workouts with limited access to bar bells/other weight training equipment. Rickie, I hear you on making too many changes to one part of the body. The changes I'm looking for aren't as great as perhaps I originally described. I simply want the muscles to be fit, instead of their current state of occassional use. It took me 2+ days for my leg muscles to recoup from the colden slide hike. Not bad, but not as good as I believe my fitness level will need to be to tackle some longer winter hikes. My fitness goal is simply to be ready for winter with an eye towards doing the Great Range as a dayhike early next summer.

I try to eat balanced foods, with a one-a-day vitamin suppliment. Very little "junk" in my diet. Because I live off Marie Calendar frozen dinners it would be hard for me to simply increase the protein intake, which is why I was immediately considering the mixes. I also don't mind the taste of the mixes and my prior experience with them was positive. I'm a tad lazy nowadays with regards to preparing food. The less effort the better IMO. I'd rather spend meal preparation and clean-up time doing anything else.

I'll need to look at other solutions like cottage cheese (good one) which I already eat on occassion. I'm going to hold off making any final decisions on suppliment purchasing until I do a few weeks of exercising. It's good advice to find out my needs rather than waste time and money over-compensating.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:11 PM   #10
southernadkhiker
Jumping Treman Falls

Focus on low rep, heavy weights if you want to BUILD your muscles and high rep, low weights to TONE them.

Yea, I pretty much have the Arnold Schwarzenegger build.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:23 PM   #11
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernadkhiker
Focus on low rep, heavy weights if you want to BUILD your muscles and high rep, low weights to TONE them.
Yes, I was expecting ankle weights and near-max tension on the stair stepper would suffice is gaining strength. It's good to note that for future readers .

Legs are already "tone". I'm not looking do runway underwear modeling up Marcy in -20F .
Old 09-25-2006, 12:43 PM   #12
Little Rickie

If you check out the want adds & garage sales you can pick up a basic iron barbell and bench press for under a $100. It's hard to beat iron free weights for strength training.

If you don't want to use iron just use a heavier pack than usual when you exercise, that will hit the very muscles you want to strengthen in your legs & back. I do steps on an 11 inch block with a 20 lb day pack & poles in my basement. Not very fast but I do it for 50 min.

Come on you can cook a hamburger, scramble a few eggs in a nonstick pan, open a can of tuna or baked beans and boil up some rice with out too much difficulty can't you? Meal preparation is time well spent and an investment in health & fitness.

Only two days to recover. I'm jealous.

William Shakespeare
Old 09-25-2006, 01:03 PM   #13
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Rickie
If you check out the want adds & garage sales you can pick up a basic iron barbell and bench press for under a $100. It's hard to beat iron free weights for strength training.

If you don't want to use iron just use a heavier pack than usual when you exercise, that will hit the very muscles you want to strengthen in your legs & back. I do steps on an 11 inch block with a 20 lb day pack & poles in my basement. Not very fast but I do it for 50 min.

Come on you can cook a hamburger, scramble a few eggs in a nonstick pan, open a can of tuna or baked beans and boil up some rice with out too much difficulty can't you? Meal preparation is time well spent and an investment in health & fitness.
Great idea using the backpack, I wasn't thinking of doing that but have a spare that might be up for the task...

I used to work in restaurants. The way I see it - I've already cooked a lifetime of meals for myself in just a few years. Cooking is not "fun" for me, lost that charm many years ago. I'd rather spend a little more $$ for convenience, more "me" time, and a small hit in the taste department. Hey, it's afforded me many more posts here I would otherwise be slaving in the kitchen...

Besides, living with the trail chef supreme ensures at least one gourmet meal/week.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:10 PM   #14
kwc
loser

this might be helpful ... describes some good exercises which don't require gym weights, etc.

http://mountainsurvival.com/backpackfitness.html

I thought that Marie Callendar dinners were pretty high in sodium? If so, that's not such a good thing!!

I realize that you're trying to do this at home, but you might want to look into a local yoga class or something similar to help you with your flexibility ... I have seen a lot of guys at the gym (my younger son included) who have increased their strength but have lost their flexibility. A year of yoga, one night a week, was pretty helpful for me. But then I am a bit older so maybe you don't really need that sorta workout yet.

"I'm not looking do runway underwear modeling up Marcy in -20F ." Thank God for that ... regardless of whether it's -20 or +80.

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.
kwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:12 PM   #15
Kevin
**BANNED**

Kevin, thanks again for the suggestions. I figured I was going to eventually do some web crawling for exercise forums and such, but your link saves me a lot of time .

Overall I don't eat a lot of salty foods, so the marie callendar 3-4 times a week isn't too bad.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:15 PM   #16
fvrwld

I think your increased caloric needs will be met just by making sure you get your 3 dairies and 2 fruits a day(which you don't do now). Maybe just add 1 more grain a day. Make a big batch of whole grain rice/barley/ect at the beginning and eat it along with your TV dinner each day.

You should eat right for more reasons than just calories.

For the record...I have offered Kevin several times to make up his meals for the week so he can eat right while I'm at work. He refuses. (No, I'm not neglecting him.)
Old 09-25-2006, 02:45 PM   #17
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvrwld
For the record...I have offered Kevin several times to make up his meals for the week so he can eat right while I'm at work. He refuses. (No, I'm not neglecting him.)

I figure a grown man should be fending for himself... as much as I would love to eat Val's cooking 24x7 it pains me to think that she would only be doing it out of my laziness.

I looked over the link Kevin provided and it gave me some ideas. Having done some minor strength training prior I had a few exercises up my sleeve, but these targeted the muscle groups I need the most. Most valuable link, thanks!
Old 09-25-2006, 03:05 PM   #18
Little Rickie

out of my laziness.

Not much more can be said now.

William Shakespeare
Old 09-25-2006, 03:34 PM   #19
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote: