Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2016, 07:52 AM   #1
SlowMotion1

Hiking partner wanted

Looking for an older(40-60 y/o) hiking partner for some summer 2017 hiking into the lakes & ponds of the southern, central and west central Adirondacks that have a lean-to shelter (I only carry an ultra-lightweight, 1lb. 2.7oz. backup shelter). I try to keep my pack weight around 20 pounds and enjoy staying in the lean-to shelters located near lakes, ponds and streams (I'm a fly fisherman). ADK Lean-to + Water = Fun!

Last edited by SlowMotion1; 11-20-2016 at 11:32 AM..
SlowMotion1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:44 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotion1 View Post
Looking for an older(40-60 y/o) hiking partner for some summer 2017 hiking into the lakes & ponds of the southern and central Adirondacks that have lean-tos(no tent weight).
Just a quick comment to hopefully prevent you from ending up in a not-so-comfortable situation. You'd be foolish to not bring a tent (or some sort of backup shelter) even if you're planning to stay in a lean-to. Space in lean-tos is never guaranteed, and in most areas they tend to be moderately to very popular. It's pretty much a given that sooner or later you'll arrive to find the lean-to you intended to camp in already full. (And in the summer, it will likely be sooner rather than later.)

I always carry some form of shelter as a backup when I plan to stay at a lean-to, whether it be a tent or even just a tarp.

Don't be the guy that shows up at the lean-to without a tent in inclement weather and asks people to move out because you weren't properly prepared.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:25 AM   #3
SlowMotion1

I ALWAYS back an ultra-lightweight backup shelter!

Thanks for the advice, but I ALWAYS carry my Appy Trails (http://www.appytrails.com/) backpacking tent or a 8' X10' ultra-lightweight tarp. Thank you for your concern, we should all be looking out for each other always, especially in the wilderness.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:48 PM   #4
Hard Scrabble

You may be more than foolish to engage with someone whom you have never met in person.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 04:51 PM   #5
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
You may be more than foolish to engage with someone whom you have never met in person.
Jim

Perhaps. Perhaps not. Meeting someone in person provides the benefit of seeing them, however the way people act on forums, the way they communicate with others, the way they treat others online tells perceptive people alot more about a person than simply seeing them. Of course some may put on a show and act/talk a certain way in order to deceive, but this is also true in person. I would argue that the way a person acts online is more reflective of their true persona than the nice show someone puts on when they first meet someine in person. One's digital footprint has a much larger sample of data for others to analyze compared to first impressions.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 05:08 PM   #6
Justin
Moving along

I agree with DuctTape. I've met several nice people on this forum whom have become very good friends & great hiking/camping/paddling/fishing/snowshoeing/skiing buddies.
I also recommend checking out meetup.com.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 05:20 PM   #7
Terasec

Not sure if mentioning another site violates rules if it does i apologize
Instead of looking for 1 partner look on meetup.com
Lots of outdoor group hikes on it
Since its group hikes its generally safer than meeting 1 individual
I would join you but i dont plan that far ahead
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:32 AM   #8
SlowMotion1

Quote:
Jim
I refuse to sit in the safety of my home because I am too scared I might encounter a person with criminal intent. I CAN NOT LIVE MY LIFE THAT WAY! Most people are not criminals looking to do you harm, especially in the wilderness. I've been hiking and backpacking for over 30 years, often alone, and have never met a person in the wilderness with criminal intentions. Every day I am "outdoors somewhere alone" and I COULD run into a bad person, BUT NEVER DO.

Last edited by SlowMotion1; 11-03-2016 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: spelling correction
Old 11-03-2016, 07:36 AM   #9
geogymn

Quote:
I refuse to sit in the safety of my home because I am too scared I might encounter a person with criminal intent. I CAN NOT LIVE MY LIFE THAT WAY! Most people are not criminals looking to do you harm, especially in the wilderness. I've been hiking and backpacking for over 30 years, often alone, and have never meet a person in the wilderness with criminal intentions. Every day I am "outdoors somewhere alone" and I COULD run into a bad person, BUT NEVER DO.
I concur with your attitude and outlook.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:37 PM   #10
IndLk_Brett

Quote:
I try to keep my pack weight around 20 pounds
I also try to keep my pack weight down around 20 pounds, but darn it all if I don't always end up closer to 32! Although, to be fair, unlike your preference I enjoy staying in a tent rather than a lean-to (ideally far off trail and near a seldom seen lake, pond or creek).

I do, however, enjoy exploring the general area where you are looking to hike, but can't make concrete plans that far in advance as I have no real idea when I'll be free. Maybe if you were to refresh my memory and ask again when spring/early summer gets here I could give you a more definite answer. That is if you wish to, of course.

Last edited by IndLk_Brett; 11-03-2016 at 06:59 PM..
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 03:24 PM   #11
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
I refuse to sit in the safety of my home because I am too scared I might encounter a person with criminal intent. I CAN NOT LIVE MY LIFE THAT WAY! Most people are not criminals looking to do you harm, especially in the wilderness. I've been hiking and backpacking for over 30 years, often alone, and have never met a person in the wilderness with criminal intentions. Every day I am "outdoors somewhere alone" and I COULD run into a bad person, BUT NEVER DO.
I would rather be alone than in the company of someone whom I know nothing about.
The net is full of wonderful sounding individuals, it's easy to type a good resume.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:06 AM   #12
SlowMotion1

Quote:
I would rather be alone than in the company of someone whom I know nothing about.
The net is full of wonderful sounding individuals, it's easy to type a good resume.
Jim
Then alone you shall be....

I enjoy meeting other people and making new friends, seems I have more trust in people or I'm just not as scared as you are in meeting someone without them being "vetted" first.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:34 AM   #13
Terasec

all people are saying is use some precaution when it comes to hooking up with a hiking partner for the first time,
no big deal
another factor is matching hiking style,
have hiked with people who seem to be running a marathon, WTF? slow down a bit,
other extreme, there are those that stop to look at every little overturned leaf,
come on, will never get there at this pace
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:56 AM   #14
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:
Jim
Perhaps you missed my earlier response, or I failed to communicate clearly. If so, I apologize.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:59 AM   #15
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terasec View Post
all people are saying is use some precaution when it comes to hooking up with a hiking partner for the first time,
no big deal
another factor is matching hiking style,
have hiked with people who seem to be running a marathon, WTF? slow down a bit,
other extreme, there are those that stop to look at every little overturned leaf,
come on, will never get there at this pace

No, a general precaution was not what was stated. Re-read my initial reply to HS regarding being more than foolish.

Old 11-04-2016, 11:08 AM   #16
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Jim
It only takes getting it wrong once.

But you take that chance every day if you leave the house. People who are on the internet are walking around among us everyday
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 05:48 PM   #17
SlowMotion1

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
I concur with your attitude and outlook.
Thank you Geogymn!

I am glad our legal system does not treat people that way.... "Guilty until proven innocent"

There is a "Presumption" that all people are good....
Old 11-04-2016, 07:20 PM   #18
geogymn

Quote:
Thank you Geogymn!

I am glad our legal system does not treat people that way.... "Guilty until proven innocent"

There is a "Presumption" that all people are good....
You know a long time ago, going back about 40 years ago, I decided to hitchhike across country. Man, I had everyone from mom to aunt molly to uncle Fred telling me I was crazy, that people were no good and I would end up kilt or worse.
Well a buddy and I hitched down to the Florida Keys, then to Orleans in time for the Fat Tuesday, then stop below Houston to make some money, then spent some time in Mexico via El Paso, then camped in the Gila for a couple weeks, at this point we split, he to Chicago, I went to Cali, up to Wash via Rt. 101.
Well, I didn't get kilt. Just the opposite. I met so many wonderful and giving people. People who would take us in their home and feed us and give us a place to rest our heads.
It gave me an unending faith in humanity. I didn't deserve such kindness but got it just the same.
I am not saying everyone was as neighborly and there was a couple mean suckers I had to contend with but by and large people are good.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:09 PM   #19
Justin
Moving along

Many of our elders & oldtimers disagree with how things are these days, certainly no need to take it to heart.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:48 PM   #20
SlowMotion1

Quote:
Jim
WOW.....