Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2010, 06:52 AM   #1
craig D

swimming holes around Lows lake/five ponds

Hi all,

We are canoeing to the west end of Lows near Big Deer, but camping on Lows. We’ll day hike throughout the five ponds. It is going to be HOT... any recommended swimming spots??? Are there any shore line boulders on Lows we can swim or jump from? The last time I was there the lake was mostly shallow and wooded.

Leaving soon, thanks

Craig D.
craig D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
adktyler
previously adk88

To the best of my knowledge there are no boulders or anything on the lake. There are a few small beaches at some of the campsites, though. The nicest beaches are on the boy scout lands, which is most unfortunate. I would recommend stopping at Bog River Falls on the way into Low's Lower Dam. It is about a mile in on your left after you turn onto the road into Horseshoe Lake. Great spot, nice water levels, and plenty of fun sliding down the falls.

If you want more info on the spot, let me know.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
craig D

Thanks, please send the spot. I see you did the Cranberry Lake 50. I’ve been to big shallow and wolf in the past. This trip we'll focus the Nick and Clear ponds area, maybe a trip up Cat Mountain. Do you recommend any ponds or camp sites in that area?
Old 07-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #4
Wldrns

Site 18 has a sandy stretch, and so does site 30 where it is much more protected. Site 20 also, but I've often found the campsite area around 20 to be filthy. A few others have limited sandy areas. Two of the three Boy Scout owned Islands (particularly Pole, and nearby tiny Scout Island) are good choices after scout camp season (you are required to keep off them during June, July and August).
Old 07-06-2010, 02:25 PM   #5
craig D

thanks...
Old 07-06-2010, 09:10 PM   #6
adktyler
previously adk88

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig D View Post
Thanks, please send the spot. I see you did the Cranberry Lake 50. I’ve been to big shallow and wolf in the past. This trip we'll focus the Nick and Clear ponds area, maybe a trip up Cat Mountain. Do you recommend any ponds or camp sites in that area?
Sure! Once you turn onto the road towards Horseshoe lake, keep an eye out for a pull-off on your left. You reach this spot at about .75 miles, or a little before. I find it best to park here if you can. You can park across the street as well, but it's not as far off the road. If you miss the spot, you will know it because you cross the bridge over the Bog River. You can park on that side of the bridge if there are no spaces before the bridge.

Once at the pull-off before the bridge, there is a herd path to the falls. It is quite easy to find. The falls on the left, the first ones you come to, are the ones for sliding. The water is pretty safe, and there are no rocks on the bottom. Have fun!

As for campsites in the Cat Mountain area, they're all pretty nice. I've only camped at a couple of them, so I don't know them like the back of my hand. I don't recall any bad sites, though, so whatever is marked on the map should be pretty good!

If you're coming from the north/east through Saranac or Tupper, please feel free to stop by where I work and obtain some more info. St. Regis Canoe Outfitters is the store
Old 07-07-2010, 02:29 PM   #7
craig D

thanks

Tags
swimming hole